Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,050
Newest Member: TopherM
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
double dog dare roaster chamber challenge
Lawnmowerman
It has been proposed in another thread that a ten inch skillett with a lid would make an ideal roast chamber capable of possibly handling kilogram loads. I want to build such a roaster and have everything needed including a regalware three ply skillet with a lid that matches what was described. Got a breadman unaltered. So far. A few questions. Anyone else tried it? Is it really as simple as it seems? Will it do smaller loads? Like three quarter pound? This is so intriguing. Any takers? Someone want to dare me to try it and report back? It would work better then my butchered bmhg I'm using currently. Pretty sure about that. But I would add a small vent for better convection. One assembly question. Do I really want to cut the entire floor out of the breadpan and drill a small hole in the skillet then attach? Or should I drill out the rivets and reinstall the stirring rod mechanism in a hole cut to fit in the skillet? Both ways seem that they would work, but I haven't done this type of mod before.thanks in advance. And thanks. For the inspiration.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.
Lawnmowerman
The thread I drew the inspiration from was called failureone kilogram. Sorry about the lack of puntuation. Can't figure out this keypad. So anyway I have assembled a few more items to make this thing adapt to what it needs to to function as a coffee roaster. To mount the heat gun to the lid, I will graft a tapered spout from a teakettle onto the lid. It will angle back towards the center and hopefully the gun will be balanced in the center of the lid. Will also mount a loop handle on the lid from the same tea kettle. To keep my hand far from the hot lid and perhaps to lash the gun to. I will mount another s shaped spout from another teakettle on the skillet portion near the bottom to serve as a chaff chimney and exhaust vent. Both spouts will be cut out leaving a flange for mounting. So what I'm describing sounds like a bread machine heatgun skillet roaster. With parts from a couple tea kettles. A frankenroaster? Will get some pics posted soon. I put one and a quarter pounds green beans and it wasn't much more than an inch thick. Maybe one kilo is possible. Not that I would want to roast that much. That would be scary risking the loss of that many beans. I expect to keep.around one pound. Does anyone volunteer to tell me this won't work?B)
JETROASTER
I believe it can be made to work.
...and if it should fail....the pictures will be priceless.

Sounds like everything gets built onto the lid?
If the skillet doesn't work so great...you can always repurpose the lid assembly!

Double -dare! -Scott
Dan
You describe the agitator being mounted below the skillet and heated from above with the heat gun. Just for the sake of tossing out new ideas, why not reverse them?

Mount the agitator on the lid with a dasher resting on the skillet bottom. Then, put the skillet on a gas range top and heat just like you would any skillet.
Lawnmowerman
One spout for chaff/exhaust would be located in the lower portion. It is perforated already. Don't want something that resembles a glorified whirley pop. I'm hoping this will be a proof of concept roaster first proposed by veteran member dave about two years ago. If anyone has done this they haven't told me so I'm stepping up to the plate. Imade some mock spouts and positioned them where they need to go.pics soon. I know how much y'all like to look at pictures. But I don't think I should deviated from the breadmaker platform in order to accurately test this concept. Who knows? Maybe if it proves to be a good roaster we might see more based on the same concept. Can someone put a li:(:)nk to the original post? This might explain the concept better for those who haven't read it. Name of thread is Failure: one kilogram. It is tacked onto another named thread. Started byChad.
Lawnmowerman
Mock - up
Lawnmowerman attached the following image:
imagejpeg_2_10.jpg
Lawnmowerman
The chaff spout is a little hard to see but it is mounted opposite the grip on the skillet. It may turn out that i will need to add a chaff something or other and the shape of it would make an easy hose connection for that. Looks like the bow on a viking ship to me. Maybe i should make it look like a dragon head.
Lawnmowerman
It seems that this rc design will be immune from any butchering attempts by me because theres really no room to improve it. Thats good. So i think i might bling it out. That might distract the fact that it has 3handles and two spouts. Just looks a little weird to me. The bling im thinking of has got to be...a little on the wild side. Fangs. Or bat wings. Or horns. Or eyes. This should help with the weird factor. I hope.
Jump to Forum: