Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

allenb
04/09/2024 5:34 PM
TheJak99 Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,205
Newest Member: TheOtherJim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Used Gene Cafe
slr001
Hello folks,

New user here. Mainly an espresso/cappuccino drinker using a LaPavoni.

Been interested in roasting for a while, but haven't made the plunge. Recently ran across a Gene Cafe used circa 2008 and has had the heating element replaced.

So I have been reading and researching all weekend. Also just so happened to have a hot air popcorn maker with the side vents, and bought a lb of green to experiment with over the weekend. Actually pretty impressed with the results of the air popper. Mainly have been reading about, watching youtube videos etc of two machines beside the popper. The Behmor and the Gene Cafe.

My question is mainly what people think of a 4 year old Gene that has had a heating element replaced? The price is $300 firm.

From reading here, the heating element going out does not seem to be uncommon. Does the rest of the machine hold up mechanically over the years?

I cant really swing $500 for a new one. If I am spending $300, is a used Gene or a new Behmor a better buy? Not really asking to compare the two, I think I like the Gene and its controls better. Just trying to decide if this thing holds up over the years?

Thanks

ginny
great question:

Unless I knew the person selling the machine a 4 year old Gene Cafe for 300 bucks seems high to me. You have no idea how it has been used.

I would put your money in a new Behmor.

ginny

le us know.Grin

gene
I absolutely love my GC. So much control over the roast.

And as far as the heating element, search our HomeRoasters threads. So many people that own Gene's and have the heating go out panic and order a new one. I know because I did.

Thank goodness John Despres had just published a "How To" repair the old one. It is so easy. And to this day I have John on a pedestal!

1000+ roasts later mine is still going strong and my new element is still in its box.

Ginny's right, $300 is a little steep with burned out element but if you have leeway to negotiate?

Good luck.
gene

ginny
This is only a test for time clock so ignore...

thanks.

ginnyShock

slr001

gene wrote:

I absolutely love my GC. So much control over the roast.

And as far as the heating element, search our HomeRoasters threads. So many people that own Gene's and have the heating go out panic and order a new one. I know because I did.

Thank goodness John Despres had just published a "How To" repair the old one. It is so easy. And to this day I have John on a pedestal!

1000+ roasts later mine is still going strong and my new element is still in its box.

Ginny's right, $300 is a little steep with burned out element but if you have leeway to negotiate?

Good luck.
gene

Thanks for the response...

The element is working in this unit. The owner upgraded to a Hottop when the heating element burned out on the GC. He then realized it was easy to replace, and did so.

So the unit is working properly with a replaced heating element.

Again, my question is more along the lines of how well does a normally used 4 year old GC hold up aside from the heating element...

I mean if these things bave a build quality on them that you can assume will give them a 10 year life span then this one might be worth buying. If they really start to have issues (motor, thermostat, electronics, timer, mechanical, etc) after 4 or 5 years, I probably want to stay away??

jkoll42
Personally I think that sound high. If they have a 10 year lifespan then you are at $50 depreciation per year. 4 years @ $50/yr is $200. $500msrp-$200 is the asking price. I personally think 10 years might be a liberal lifespan estimate so IMHO you might as well buy new, have a warranty and have 4 more years of life in it.

I assume this is the one on ebay now since your description matches - as said above if it was a friend or acquaintance then I might consider it, but you have no idea how it was really used, if the element was done right, etc. If the ebay description is correct , the element burned out after 100 roasts. Sounds fishy to me!

You've hot a popper to learn the basics, so if you want the GC, roast with the popper until you can save up the extra $200 and pop on a new GC :)
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

gene
I got mine used off Ebay. Shortly thereafter I mistakenly cut the roast off before cooling stage somewhere north of 450 degrees. Forgot to let if cool. I immediately knew I had cooked the heating element.

Sure enough! So easy to reattach burned element wire. I'm told they all burn at same spot right at one end of element against a stake-on. It actually heats better now.

Since then 1000 to 1200 roasts with nary a prob. I would swear by the GC. I love controlling the entire roast. I would detest a roaster that only operates by a profile button.
Come to think of it love the Pharos grinder because its manual. Like the Oly Cremina over the La Spaziale because its a lever. Guess I just like being in control!
Your call. Good luck!
gene

slr001

jkoll42 wrote:

Personally I think that sound high. If they have a 10 year lifespan then you are at $50 depreciation per year. 4 years @ $50/yr is $200. $500msrp-$200 is the asking price. I personally think 10 years might be a liberal lifespan estimate so IMHO you might as well buy new, have a warranty and have 4 more years of life in it.

I assume this is the one on ebay now since your description matches - as said above if it was a friend or acquaintance then I might consider it, but you have no idea how it was really used, if the element was done right, etc. If the ebay description is correct , the element burned out after 100 roasts. Sounds fishy to me!

You've hot a popper to learn the basics, so if you want the GC, roast with the popper until you can save up the extra $200 and pop on a new GC :)

Yeah, I think it is on ebay... But I found it on Craigslist. I live 5-10 minutes from the seller, so it is just a local purchase for me.

Saving isn't really the issue... It is a matter of staying under the radar with the wife., At $300, she might just say "whatever" and roll her eyes... at $500+... I think I get the raised eyebrows, among other negative reactions.

But yeah, I did similar math to what you did... At 4 years old, I would consider that it is well into the first half of its life expectancy...

jkoll42
Taking into account the wife radar, I'd grab it. If repairs are needed those also go under the radar since the alternative is to buy a new one ;)

"plus honey, we're going to save tons of money paying $6 a pound for green beans instead of $15 for roasted beans."

Heck, my Vibiemme was forgiven once the first Cappa was served!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

John Despres
Buy it. Offer $250.00 while you're standing right next to it to get their reaction in person.

It's the BEST purpose built roaster out there.

Do not buy a Behmor

I already own a second one and the first one is still going as strong as the day I bought. (The second was a gift.)

Yes heaters go bad but it is terribly easy to repair it and put it back in.

Once you have it, go through the Gene Cafe threads, and study, study, study. Then post questions.

I liken the Gene Cafe to a camera. If you want snap shots, buy a point & shoot (Behmor). If you want to be a photographer, buy a full control camera (Gene Cafe).

Have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Here are some tips to look for -

Is the drum glass clean? Any blotches at all on the inside?

Is the rubber bumper on the chaff scraper?

Is the chaff collector clean? Pull the cover from the end and look inside?

Flip it over and look at the intake grate. Is the screen clean, or does it look clogged up?

If any answer is no, they are all very easy to fix, but they may give you some bargaining power.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

slr001
thanks John... All helpful tips.

Already tried to talk him down off of $300.

As far as all of the GC articles here (and other sites) I have already read them all over the last two days. As well as studying up on SO and Blends here and on SM.

and 3 batches in my hot air popper... cant seem to get to 2nd crack with the popper (may be a voltage thing).

Been a very informative weekend

slr001
Well,

Thanks Folks... I am now a GC owner.

troposcuba
cool. enjoy it. I know I love mine. once you learn how to achieve what you are trying to achieve with it, you will be very happy with the results I think.
Sean

John Despres
ThumbsUp
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: