Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/05/2021 3:10 AM
Welcome, Johny Morrisson !

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 23

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,370
Newest Member: Johny Morrisson

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The "Roastaire" Roaster
JETROASTER
This got brought up on another thread. It looked like there may be some cool stuff worth discussing...so here it is.

http://www.freshc...staire.htm

I see RC and cyclonic separator. Are the other two chambers for bean evacuation and recirc/air mix? -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
roastairetrimetric.jpg

Dan
I think the large downflow chamber on the right is the air heating chamber. This means that the blower is seeing fully heated air. Note that it is not direct driven by a motor, but thermally isolated with a belt, and, the belt ratio spins the blower faster than the motor rpm.
Dan attached the following image:
roastaire-diagram.jpg

Dan
I think it will be interesting for us to reverse engineer that roaster!

JETROASTER
I also see an ametek style blower below the RC.

...and 4 large chambers . I can figure out all but the fourth.
-Scott

Dan
I think that's just a plenum directly under the RC, but I found this image on the website and there is a vacuum motor with tangential outlet mounted on the bottom of the unit. So this provides the lift. Then that blower I mentioned above must be for moving the recycled air.

www.freshcup.ca/images/gallery/b.jpg

Dan
Looking further down that blog it is definitely the blower used for lofting beans. It develops 1psi and is powered by a 3/4 Hp 3-phase motor from a variable speed controller.

Except for the high temperature, this is nearly identical to the blower I used in my spouting bed tests.

[img]http://nxt-roasters.blogspot.com/2011_12_01_archive.html[/img]

seedlings
Oh, if they would have used clear tubes. More fun!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dan
The drawings make the unit appear small, but it is about 6' tall!

RoasterRob
I think the blower below the roaster might be to transport the beans via a tube to a hopper located somewhere else on in the roastery. Looks like the beans get dumped below the RC and via the funnel below and enter a T junction with the blower blowing thru the T. In the video they showed the coffee being transported via a tube.
Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

Dan
I think you are right, Rob. The unit needs to be automated to some level so that operators don't have to be experts, or have to handle hot components.

At almost mid-way up from the floor there is a shelf. That is counter height. The video shows green bean being dumped into a hopper. That's in the center of the drawings just below the counter. It has a funnel-shaped bottom connected to a tube. I think you are right, the suction created by the vacuum motor exhaust transports the beans into the RC.

JETROASTER
Ok, In the top pic, I see a fourth large chamber that I don't see in the lower pic. Some future design change? Automated loading?

I'm also curious about the small chamber directly below the RC.
The second drawing shows the ametek blowing in below. Is that part of the RC? The drawing seems to show it as somewhat separate.
If it's not part of the RC....then what is it?

-Scott

Dan

Ok, In the top pic, I see a fourth large chamber that I don't see in the lower pic. Some future design change? Automated loading?

Perhaps it (they) are bulk storage bins for greens. The counter-top level hopper is for selected beans.

I'm also curious about the small chamber directly below the RC.
The second drawing shows the ametek blowing in below. Is that part of the RC? The drawing seems to show it as somewhat separate.
If it's not part of the RC....then what is it?

I've think I've figured that out. See the dividing plate below the RC and above that chamber? I think that's a blast gate (gate valve). It opens to let the roasted beans fall into that chamber. The vacuum motor then transports the beans to some bin or perhaps right into the waiting coffee bag.

Note the trier in the first diagram on the far left about half-way up!

RoasterRob
I think the 4 cylinders in the top picture from left to right IMO are - RC, cyclone, some kind of filter (the final exhaust comes out of the top of this) and the 4th houses the elements. The blue cylone is hidden behind the RC in the pic in the 2nd post (Dan's). You can see the transfer tube from the cyclone to the heating tube in the top of that pic. As Dan says below the RC is dump system and then the transport system for the roasted coffee. Cooling is done in the RC.

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

JETROASTER
#1 looks like fan output can be bled into the exhaust chamber (#2) prior to the RC.
If that's true, that would part one of controlling recirc ratio.
Part two would be to draw in (make-up) new air.
My thought was that #3 is the point at which new air is drawn in. If not, where does new air get introduced?

#4 Seems simple enough that beans get dumped into this lower chamber, ....then blown away. But, where to?

Overall, I think it's a really nice machine . Not exactly the artisans top pick, but it could really get more fresh coffee out there .
Seems pricey, but that's likely a deliberate choice to drive potential customers toward the lease program.

I think it's a smart program. -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
trimetric2.jpg

RoasterRob

#4 Seems simple enough that beans get dumped into this lower chamber, ....then blown away. But, where to?

I think to where ever you want. In the video the pipe appears to go up and along the ceiling then to a hopper above a packing bench.

Dan
Scott, I agree on all of those items. I would guess that new air is introduced at the top of the heating chamber #3. It could be a pressure sensitive valve, or simply a fixed orifice to introduce a certain amount.

I could not locate the roasted bean output either. Surely it has to come out above the counter or in a bagging niche directly below it. Yesterday I went looking for it in the video and in other images but could not find any outlet.

What we don't know is how well it roasts coffee. It is a well made hot-air roaster. A lot will depend on the algorithms in the controller. What we do know is that both the lofting air temperature and pressure are controlled.

JETROASTER
Part of the sales pitch is that the recirc design preserves precious VOC's. OK, I'll buy that.

Here's the question;
Let's say I roast #2 @ 70cfm with no recirc. Then I roast #2 @140 cfm with 50% recirc. I'd still put 70 cfm out of the stack.

Have I preserved any VOC's ?

So I guess I would need to know how much air leaves the machine to determine if this design actually preserves VOC's.

Yes?, No?, Maybe? -Scott

Dan
"Preserves precious VOCs" That's sales hyperbole. Preserves them where? Beans emit VOCs when they are roasting. Recirculating that VOC-laden air does not put them back in the beans nor prevent more VOCs from being emitted. In the end, they all go up the stack. Besides, how does the machine selectively "preserve" the precious ones while disposing of the nasty ones?

Dan
I'd guess that the hand dryer blower was just a run-of-the-mill vacuum motor.

JETROASTER
The blower for bean transport is a 3 stage, 7.2" ametek.
It creates more pressure than its 2 stage cousin, but a wee bit less CFM. A good choice for pushing beans around.

So, do we think beans are cooled by killing heat and cooling with the main blower?

I was looking to see if perhaps they had created a 'hot loop' to maintain heat on one side of the roaster, while cooling the beans in the lower chamber with the ametek .

I don't see anything to support that, but it would be clever!
-Scott

Jump to Forum: