renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ceramic clay as perforated plate
tamarian
Hello everyone, been lurking here for a couple of months and learning from all the DIY roasters. I'm working on a new 1kg fluid-bed roaster as my heatgun/egg beater 1lb roaster is no longer enough. After reading about bubble beds, I started prototyping perforated plates with ceramic clay, as it is extremely easy to perforate/re-perforate.

Are there any disadvantages in taste or any health concerns if they are used in actual roasting?

allenb

tamarian wrote:

Hello everyone, been lurking here for a couple of months and learning from all the DIY roasters. I'm working on a new 1kg fluid-bed roaster as my heatgun/egg beater 1lb roaster is no longer enough. After reading about bubble beds, I started prototyping perforated plates with ceramic clay, as it is extremely easy to perforate/re-perforate.

Are there any disadvantages in taste or any health concerns if they are used in actual roasting?

I can't think of any relating to taste or health assuming the clay mixture doesn't contain anything more than you'd use in a typical clay oven or clay cooking vessels. Are you able to drill it after it's fired?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

tamarian
No drilling required, I just puncture it with a 4mm needle while soft. I'm using air drying modelling clay like this one: http://www.amazon.com/...d_sbs_op_6
Edited by allenb on 05/07/2012 5:01 PM

atalanta
From discussions I've read on a hookah forum I belong to, they suggest if you're going to make a bowl (which is where the tobacco sits), you should use a clay that is fired and use a food-safe glaze (glazed because hookah tobacco is goopy and will just make an awful mess of an unglazed bowl).

For this, you could get away with non-glazed and any oils from the beans would just "season" it.

But I'd still stick with something that is cured at a temperature hotter than what it will be exposed to. I don't think this stuff is true terra cotta, that would need to be fired by some means. If you had it already, you could expose some of it to high temperature and see what happens. The binding agents in this might be flamable, so be careful.

tamarian

atalanta wrote:
If you had it already, you could expose some of it to high temperature and see what happens. The binding agents in this might be flamable, so be careful.

I just tested it by pointing my heat gun at an air dried peace, full blast (650 C) for half an hour from a distance of about 1 inch. No changes to colour, no smell other it's clay smell.

Jump to Forum: