Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Discovered Snob
atalanta
I had posted on FB about roasting and a friend (for whom I've roasted lots of coffee) reminded me to roast some for him. Another FB friend (who I used to work with) chimed in with "I like mine dark and bold!"

I ran into "dark and bold" today and we were talking about coffee. She told me her daughter bought her a Keurig. She couldn't refuse, just smiled and said, "Thanks". Then her daughter came over and said, "Mom! You haven't set it up yet!" and set it up for her. "Well, you can always use it when people come over," I commented. She told me she doesn't drink that stuff.

I told her I just ordered 40 lbs and once it comes in, I'll be roasting and sending some her way.

pouring
John Despres
HA!!

At least the daughter will have coffee to drink until she's brought over.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
troposcuba
funny story! I had a similar experience when I tried to "convert" my family to roastingat home. Growing up, my dad was always a bit of a gourmet. Good food, good beer wine etc. He likes his coffee too. I bought an iRoast for him. well long story short, it didn't get used. The reason was "too much trouble". The keurig prevailed. funny part is in the end, he is now looking forward to coming to visit so he can get some of my "good coffee". I win!
Sean
ciel-007

troposcuba wrote:

... he likes his coffee too. I bought an iRoast for him. well long story short, it didn't get used. The reason was "too much trouble"...

Roasting coffee is relativety straightforward; however, roasting great coffee can be a daunting task... at any age. Now that you have his attention with the excellence of your results, you might volunteer to coach him at the controls of his unused iRoast.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK´┐ŻNIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
JETROASTER
"roasting great coffee can be a daunting task"

Good, Great ....it's all relative. I would have my own fresh roasted 'el-cheapo' Brazil, rather than drink the stale Yirge
available somewhere else.

IMO, if you're roasting at home, it's mostly varied degrees of Greatness! -Scott
ciel-007

freshbeans wrote:

"roasting great coffee can be a daunting task"
IMO, if you're roasting at home, it's mostly varied degrees of Greatness!

Scott, you are obviously a much more experienced, and better, roaster than I am (I'm still working hard at it), and I congratulate you for it.

Until a few months ago, I was buying my coffee from a local commercial roaster who has been in the business for 25 years. After upgrading my brewing equipment, and purchasing various SO roasted beans from the local roaster to create my own blends, I finally started pulling shots at home that were just about the best I have ever tasted; that's saying a lot, since I have been fortunate enough to taste coffees on nearly every continent over the years.

In recent months, I have invested a lot of time, and money, in roasting. Although my pulls have become impressively good, I have not yet been able to beat the taste results coming from the best roasts that my local roaster ever produced (to be honest, not every batch from my local roaster was great either).

I am still trying to roast beans with the objective of pulling the best shots that I have ever enjoyed. I suppose that is akin to trying to achieve excellence in every roast. I have to admit that seeking sustained greatness in roasting is a daunting task, and perhaps an impossible one at that.

On the other hand, by roasting green beans at home, and not buying roasted beans from my local commercial roaster, I estimate that I will be saving about $1,000 a year. Big savings like these mean that a new Gene Cafe or Hottop can be paid for in no time at all.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK´┐ŻNIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
atalanta
Sean - I did the same thing with my mom! I learned a lot about coffee working in her shops and doing pickups from her roasters. After I got started home roasting I got her an aromaroast (stop laughing ;) ). Which promptly got relegated to the basement. Good for me since I'm now borrowing it. Her answer was it was too much bother. So now when I go over for dinner, I make sure to bring some fresh roasted.

She also doesn't go for the Keureg - doesn't make enough coffee. We're of the "by the pot" drinkers. :th-cof1.gif:
jedovaty
Everyone I've talked to about coffee brags about how they like it "Bold". So I ask them, what on earth does that mean? Is it loud and outspoken, like a wannabe comedian? Or is it brave and foolish, jumping into the pits of schnookey mookey den and battling the fierce opponents of fluffy-muck?

Usually get a smirk from that. Once in a while they try to explain. I have yet to hear something valid.
troposcuba

ciel-007 wrote:

troposcuba wrote:

... he likes his coffee too. I bought an iRoast for him. well long story short, it didn't get used. The reason was "too much trouble"...

Roasting coffee is relativety straightforward; however, roasting great coffee can be a daunting task... at any age. Now that you have his attention with the excellence of your results, you might volunteer to coach him at the controls of his unused iRoast.

I know. I have been doing it for over 10 years now. I do pretty well roasting consistently. I have moved on from the iRoast machines (although I still have the one pops didn't want). my point being that the iroast is no more involved than dumping a cup of greens, hitting the "prog 2" button and waiting for it to finish. even over roasted a bit with no regard to roast profile is still gonna be better than most of what you can buy off the shelf in the store. i tried to explain it was no more trouble than warming a hot pocket in the microwave. to each his own. Like I said though, he may be coming around since he can't wait to visit for some "good coffee". If I didn't live in another state, I would just supply the family with good coffee at all times. Oh well, I guess just the wife gets the spoils of my quest for perfection. Gladly, she "gets it". and fully supports the coffee madness.
Sean
jzuzphreek
Jedo... That schnookey mooky den sounds horrendous! tiki perhaps that's where the elusive poopy lookie monster lurks?

On another note, my wife totally tolerates my madness, but she still buys whatever can is on sale since she can't be bothered to operate even the whirly-blade grinder. pouring
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

snwcmpr
My wifes neice and her husband have a Kuerig.
When we visit or they visit, I do pour over.
Last visit in April, they came over to the other side. The Kuerig wasn't putting out enough water, and after i had it cleaned with citric acid, they never had a chance to use it again.
He went and got a Melitta pour over. They love it.

In her searching for "HOW TO" I sent some links, and she was fascinated with Sweet Marias. She thought my prewarming cups was just 'something I do', until she did it. The blooming and the scent are all new to her. (Her mom drinks instant, and is happy drinking instant)

Sooooooooo ........

She wanted to roast, so I sent her my poppery with thermometer probe.
With it, I sent some Sumatra junk beans that had gotten wet, so she can practice, and some Cameroon for when she is done practicing.
She got them the other day, and I can't wait to find out it is going.

Quoted somewhere .... "Give a man home roasted coffee, and change him for a day ... Teach him how to roast, and change him for a lifetime"

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
Jump to Forum: