renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,213
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Uneven roast help
synic
Hi!

So, at least I'm getting roasts that aren't too burnt. I'm using the variations that John gave me, with some little tweaks here and there, but I cannot seem to get a uniform brown roast no matter what roast level I'm aiming for, or what variation on the following profiles I use (all have a preheat to 300 and then a drying phase at 300F for 5 minutes).

#1:

445F for 5 minutes
460F until EOR

In this one, it seems like the roaster never actually reaches 445F in that 5 minutes, so there's never a point where it's just at 445F for any amount of time.

#2:

445F until it reaches 445F and then 2 minutes past that
465F until EOR

#3:

465F until 1 minute past first crack
445F until EOR

Now, I wouldn't mind so much if it was just a little uneven, but this is really bad. Beans will look burnt with a little brown spot on them, there's ashy looking black beans and a bunch of light brown beans. At city, it's the worst, but it's still pretty bad up the range to vienna. I haven't tried anything past that because I won't drink it.

Any help would be appreciated.
-- synic

jkoll42
What beans are you roasting? Does it happen across various bean origins?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

synic

jkoll42 wrote:

What beans are you roasting? Does it happen across various bean origins?

Oh yeah, good question. The one that seems to do best is a Bajawa... but the other ones I've tried have all been this way.

Sumatra was the worst, Ethiopia Illubador, Brazil Fazenda, El Salvador, Rwanda
-- synic

John Despres
Are you using a warming stage for the first 5 minutes at 300F? If you are, I'm a bit surprised you don't reach 445F in another 5 minutes.

You might be skipping one stage - I see in one of my posts I left it out. Add it back in - Drop your temperature 30 seconds or one minute into first crack to 445F.

As it is your roasts are racing on out of control, they need more time in the drum at lower temps.

The Sumatra, Ethiopia and perhaps the Rwanda should come out uneven to some degree as they are most likely dry processed.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

synic

John Despres wrote:

Are you using a warming stage for the first 5 minutes at 300F? If you are, I'm a bit surprised you don't reach 445F in another 5 minutes.

You might be skipping one stage - I see in one of my posts I left it out. Add it back in - Drop your temperature 30 seconds or one minute into first crack to 445F.

As it is your roasts are racing on out of control, they need more time in the drum at lower temps.

The Sumatra, Ethiopia and perhaps the Rwanda should come out uneven to some degree as they are most likely dry processed.

John

I am using a warming stage, and yeah, I'm pretty sure it just barely hits 445 after 5 minutes, and then I immediately crank it up to 465, so it never actually sits at 445 for any amount of time (though I have stayed there purposely for a minute or two to no avail).

Which one are you recommending I drop the temperature for?

How can I tell if they are dry processed? They came in a sampler pack and it doesn't say on the bag
-- synic

jedovaty
I don't have a gene cafe, however, you did not mention how much are you trying to roast. Perhaps you are using too many beans or not enough.

synic

jedovaty wrote:

I don't have a gene cafe, however, you did not mention how much are you trying to roast. Perhaps you are using too many beans or not enough.

226 grams
-- synic

John Despres
I recommend you always drop the temp to slow the roast after first crack starts. Try 30 seconds a few times and try one minute a few times. See which works best for you.

226 grams is perfect.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

synic
Ok, I will try that.

Just as a note, all of these weren't terrible when I tasted them, but they all seemed kind of the same, very sweet in the middle and not much body.
-- synic

synic
Here's a picture of the Sumatra.... taken in the sun as you suggested:

synicworld.com/media/uneven.jpg
-- synic

John Despres

synic wrote:

Here's a picture of the Sumatra.... taken in the sun as you suggested:

Not bad at all. I suggest another 30 seconds in the roaster to smooth out the wrinkles, but not bad.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

jkoll42
Agree - for what looks like a dry process (sumatra) it looks ok. Also agree that you want to take that one a little deeper into the roast.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

synic
Ah, ok. Though Sweet Maria's website has it listed as a "Wet Hull" process...

It just kinda looks goofy. The coffee itself tastes good to me, and that should be all I care about, right? :)
-- synic

bud
looks a wee bit light, give it 20/30 seconds
"the beer was very cold and wonderful to drink"

brew with old perc

jkoll42
Oh, that explains why it looks funky - wet hulled. I thought the coloring of the beans was a bit funky and that's why! Grab some south american/Kenyan beans that are wet process and see how they roast. I think you will find a much more even looking roast.

That said, all that matters is how they taste :th-cof1.gif:
-Jon

synic

jkoll42 wrote:

Oh, that explains why it looks funky - wet hulled. I thought the coloring of the beans was a bit funky and that's why! Grab some south american/Kenyan beans that are wet process and see how they roast. I think you will find a much more even looking roast.

That said, all that matters is how they taste :th-cof1.gif:

Is there somewhere that explains all the processing methods?
-- synic

ginny

Is there somewhere that explains all the processing methods?

if you have a computer:

http://www.sweetm...ource=side

http://en.wikiped...Processing

-g
Edited by ginny on 06/12/2012 7:21 PM

ginny
synic:

have you checked the links we set out for you?

welcome to forum
Edited by ginny on 06/12/2012 9:34 PM

bud
sweet maria has some of the best information around.

enjoy the reads synic.

budsmoking
"the beer was very cold and wonderful to drink"

brew with old perc

synic
Yeah, sorry, I didn't get email notifications for these responses.

I am still getting very inconsistent results, completely ugly looking beans compared to what my friend is getting with the Behmor and the same or similar beans.

All of the roasts end up being very bright and/or green tasting. They all have light patches and dark/burnt looking patches.

I've let them go a few pops into second crack just to see if I can get a more even looking roast, but to no avail.

I've posted an ad in the classifieds. I think I'm just too new for this roaster, and I'm going to get something a little easier.
-- synic

ginny
you need to call/email sweet maria and ask for another machine.

or send it to John for checks or another member for testing.

ginny
cross fingers

Barrie
I wonder how your line voltage is, when the roaster is going full bore?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ginny
so synic:

what did you get/do?

we need to know.

ginny

Shock

Jump to Forum: