Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,044
Newest Member: Jimmy_Zulu
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Black Gold – 2006
ciel-007
In light of my passion for coffee, my daughter surprised me with an unusual gift on Father’s Day – a DVD on the above documentary film. It is a very interesting examination of the global coffee industry. Much of the film focuses on Ethiopia, and one man’s mission to help over 70,000 struggling coffee farmers, stave off bankruptcy. This is in contrast to multinational coffee companies who dominate its trade worth billions of dollars. Coffee is one of the most widely traded commodities in the world. While the prices that 1st world consumers pay for coffee is relatively high, the low revenues accruing to many coffee farmers in the 3rd world results in a life of dire poverty.

This is an eye-opening film that’s well worth watching. I realize that's it may be a bit dated; however, I was wondering if any other HRO members had had the opportunity to view it. Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
Koffee Kosmo
Yes I have that set of DVDs
Much of what you say is how the films message came across to me

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
ciel-007
…Wake-up and Smell the Coffee

I should have mentioned that the subtitle of the film is appropriately called: “Wake-up and Smell the Coffee”. As it turns out, Black Gold was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival, and won for Best Achievement in Production at the prestigious British Independent Film Award.

According to IMDb, it appears that Black Gold grossed less than $100,000 in the USA. If that’s correct, it’s unlikely that the costs of production were ever recovered. I know that North Americans are spending significant amounts of time and money consuming coffee; however, I would be curious to learn how much these consumers know about the origin, history, and propagation of this wonderful plant, and about the complex equity issues surrounding the sale and distribution of the amazing berries it produces.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
JETROASTER

ciel-007 wrote:

…Wake-up and Smell the Coffee

I would be curious to learn how much these consumers know about the origin, history, and propagation of this wonderful plant, and about the complex equity issues surrounding the sale and distribution of the amazing berries it produces.

The vast majority know little. Based on gross sales, it appears there is also little interest. So long as it is convenient, very few look behind the curtain.
It's not just coffee. This disconnect runs through the entire food system.
The corporate race to purchase arable land should make people very afraid....and angry. It does not bode well.

I'm not sure what is to become of our favorite cash-crop. It seems like at best, the small farmer will barely survive.
As foods become a more vital cash-crop , coffee could become a real luxury crop.

I've never been a pessimist. That's just the road we're on right now. Eventually, people get pissed enough to make a change.

I think we better get pissed....quick. -Scott
ciel-007

freshbeans wrote:

... I've never been a pessimist. That's just the road we're on right now. Eventually, people get pissed enough to make a change... I think we better get pissed....quick. -Scott

Scott, I share your concerns. A portion of Black Gold shows struggling coffee farmers in various regions (Harar, Sidamo, Yirgacheffe ) of Ethiopia (coffee discovered 800 AD). In one of the needy villages we catch a glimpse at a tattered hand-made poster with a touching message:

" The root of education is bitter but the fruit is sweet (Aristotil)
ciel-007

freshbeans wrote:

... The vast majority know little. Based on gross sales, it appears there is also little interest. So long as it is convenient, very few look behind the curtain. It's not just coffee. This disconnect runs through the entire food system...

A few days ago, another HRO member (David) pointed out that coffee bean prices were at a 30 month low. As someone who truly enjoys a great pull from his trusty Brewtus at each and every sunrise, I was initially inclined to share David's sentiment.

However, this is probably a good time of the year to contemplate the tragic flipside of low coffee prices – something that most of us would rather not think about. As it turns out, most of the coffee growers on the planet are struggling farmers trying to stave off bankruptcy - unlike the multinationals who control this multi billion dollar trade. While the prices that we pay for coffee may seem high, we should not forget that the low revenues accruing to coffee farmers in the 3rd world results in a life of suffering.

This inconvenient truth is well explained in an eye-opening documentary. If you can possibly find it, I encourage you and your family to view an excellent film entitled:
Black Gold – Wake-up and Smell the Coffee.
Jump to Forum: