renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Swiss Gold
Ascholten
The swiss gold is a great little one cup brewer that is simple and so easy to use, a child can do it.

Some coffee's now for some reason tend to 'stall' in the swiss gold. They do not want to drip through properly. I have found Kona's to be one of the biggest culprits ofthis.

A few tricks to help 'persuade' the swiss gold to start dripping properly are.

A) After pouring the water in the top basket, lift it out of the brewer about 1/4 an inch and push it back down. You should get a little squirt of bubbles and the water should start dribbling better.

B) IF it does stall, pick the entire thing up about 1/2 inch and 'thump' it down onto the top of the cup you are brewing into. I don't want to say drop it because you are still holding it and controlling it's fall but well..... drop it a few times. (Note: this may add a bit more sediment to your cup but it won't hurt you and actually settles out anyways after a few minutes)

C) Lift up the top brewer about an inch or so, and squeeze the sides of the bottom gently and sharply thump it with your finger, give it a good thwap or two, sometimes this gets it going again.

Stirring with a spoon or poking around in the bottom with the grounds, I have found seldomly help at all. One of the most important things though is to keep it CLEAN. When you are done using it, clean it out right away, don't let the grounds set in the thing for hours and hours and clean it right before you do your next cup. While it may look clean, crap builds up on the mesh and can cause problems. I find that if you are starting to have problems, to soak it in a good pot cleaner. Sodium Carbonate or one of the many coffee pot cleaning solutions they offer and then giving it a good run over with a toothbrush and rinse under hot water cleans them fantasticly and they should start working well again.

Aaron
Bean there Done that, donated the T-shirt to the Church of the Second crack.... St Beanyface

jonathan
I was using my one-cup brewer this morning and was thinking about the same thing. Swiss Gold didn't seem to make these brewers with fresh coffee in mind. I find that the bloom quickly backs the brewer up and creates a seal between the filter portion and the reservior.

As routine technique now I just hold the reservior portion up until the water has been dispensed into the grounds and then set the reservior portion back down and it gives a bit of pressure to help brew the coffee.

Ascholten
Ok my reply is a bit late, but be careful of that jonathan, you can force the water up the walls and squirt almost boiling coffee all over your hand that is holding the sg. Don't ask me how I know this Shock

Yes Bloom can be a problem but I find that again, picking it up and sharply dropping it onto the cup will cause it to burble and burst the bloom seal. or thumping it several times on the side like burping a baby sort of will get it rolling again, if it dont then take the hole thingie out and thump it on the side, the grounds will shift over a bit and the coffee will come right out then.

For some reason, some coffee's are a bit more troublesome than others, kona's specifically always seem to give me a hard time.

Aaron

Bean there Done that, donated the T-shirt to the Church of the Second crack.... St Beanyface

Jump to Forum: