renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
gas pressure gizmos
jedovaty
Hi:

I recently acquired a new roaster (got fed up with my lack of handyman skills, but turns out a little better with electronics) that is heated by low pressure propane instead of electricity.

I'd like to track my heat output on one of the analog outputs of the tc4! This means I need to find a pressure sensor that reads pressure from 0-1psi, and outputs 0-5V. Seem right?

Omega has pressure transducers, but they are kind of, well, very expensive.

Freescale has some, but the ones in low pressure range are analog output (I will be contacting them to see if there are other options).

I found some stuff on digikey that looks like it meets the #s, however, they appear to be for air, no idea if LP would cause issues (such as eating away the plastic?). Example: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MPXV7007DP/MPXV7007DP-ND/1168438

Any other sources you all might be aware of that I'm missing?

jedovaty
Hmm.. can't edit about post to make clickable link, sorry. Here is is again to digikey:
http://www.digike...ND/1168438

I found this on mouser, since output is to 12V, would need some resistors to cut that down to 5V analog on tc4:
http://www.mouser...wcstqoI%3d

jedovaty
Just thought of another way - attach a potentiometer somehow to the dial gauge already there. Hmmm.

JimG
Solenoid valve?

Jim

Dan
The digikey sensors seem ideal to your use. Contact the mfgr to see if they are compatible with propane. Often, mfgrs will make the same product with different materials to suit various applications.

Or, use some sort of isolation gizmo so that only air hits the sensor.

Bhante

jedovaty wrote:

Any other sources you all might be aware of that I'm missing?

Freescale have a wide range of pressure sensors, digital/analog, absolute/differential, different pressure ranges, voltages and temperatures etc. Take a look on their website, www.freescale.com.

The ones I find most interesting are the MPXA6115A series, which operate at 5V and are ideal for interfacing with micros. They come in many different versions.

Bhante.

jedovaty
Thanks. I contacted freescale shortly after my original post, and they weren't confident in the durability of the product exposed to propane. I purchased a Honeywell one from mouser; the datasheet provided materials composition which leads me to believe I'll get some use out of the product. This is the part # on mouser: NSCDRRN001PGUNV. Pricier than the freescale, but still cheap enough to play around with.

I'll keep everyone updated how it goes :)

Bhante

jedovaty wrote:

This is the part # on mouser: NSCDRRN001PGUNV.

What is the Honeywell part number?

jedovaty
Sorry, that is the honeywell part number. I got my copy/pastes mixed up.

jedovaty
Finally arrived. I can't believe how tiny the barbs are. The dimensions are listed in the data sheet, of course, but I had no idea they were THIS small! The air-intake barbs are miniature.. what sort of hoses plug into this?! Oh my.

Curse you tiny toilet!

Oh, PS: don't use usps priority mail with Mouser, takes forever, they ship through ups who then leaves the package with the post office. Not cool.
jedovaty attached the following image:
pressure.jpg

Bhante

jedovaty wrote: what sort of hoses plug into this?!

The standard propane hoses might be a little on the large size, I suspect. Maybe you could find a reducer?

Bhante

Jump to Forum: