renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
can I roast outside?
trobbrown
I live in Panama Central America - and humid - can I use my HotTop programmable roaster outside? (covered area)

ginny
hello tro:

I am not sure how long you have had your Hot Top but my guess is you would have tried this before now.

you can roast where ever you want though I suggest you refrain from roasting in the direct path of the rain...

not sure why you put this Hot Top post in "trouble with forum," but I was kind enough to move into Hot Top forum.

lots of luck roasting outside where most people do...

ginny

beach

Koffee Kosmo
Yes you can
What is your reson for thinking that one can't ?
KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

trobbrown
It is still in the box - I read about the smoke - but that humidity can affect the roast. I am taking it back to Panama on Sept 1st - should I buy spare filters? Any other spare parts I should buy? Rob

ginny
wish you had given us more information in your original post.

that said, yes grab an extra filter. other parts you should not need if the roaster is new in the box.

I use a Hot Top on top of my stove in my kitchen, the fan above it will suck up a 150 pound dog so I never worry about smoke. I have used it outside in 114 degree heat with the monsoons raging.

why worry?
jut go do it.
-g

woohoo

snwcmpr

should I buy spare filters?

I have spare filters.
I use one filter, and wash it when I finish my 20th roast.
I use Urnex cleaner. http://www.fullci...ment-wash/
Then while it is drying, I use the other one.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

atalanta
You can wash the filters? Cool!!

I would say yes on outside, our stove vent can't even make a candle flicker so I never roast inside (I did ONCE when I first started roasting and learned my lesson FAST).

Congrats on your new purchase!

trobbrown
I am really excited - I have 150 pounds of organic, fair trade, shade grown high-altitude green beans waiting for me back in Panama (from the Boqute area) - so I am starting off right - I was taught by the Noble-Bugle Indians to roast over an open fire with an iron pott - and the roasted beans are awesome - but that is a back breaking and really hot method - trust me - it was hard to tell how much of the smoke came from the wood and how much from the beans.

trobbrown
You guys are awesome - thanks for the advice - just one last quick question (until I start roasting and then I wil have a ton I am sure0 - i have checked all literature and the website - is the HotTop Programable 15 amps or 30 amps? Can I plug it into any old household outlet?

John Despres
Humidity will affect your roast, but to what degree I don't know. My guess it's not much; perhaps a few more seconds on the length.

Post a video of the open fire roasting. We would love to see it!

Happy roasting!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

trobbrown
I will - good idea - the Noble-Bugle are know for their wonderfully colorful dresses - the whole family helps with the roasting - the kids gather the wood, Dad chops it, mom does the stirring in the iron pot and fans the fire to keep the temperature as constant as she can - squatting in the smoke and heat the whole time - to remove the parchment the kids beat the beans in a burlap bag with a stick - then mom tosses them up in the air - and catches them in another bowl - not a bean dropped. 2 pound sof green beans roast to become 1 pound of dark beans - can't hear any cracking as the flames/wood are crackling all the time - it is by sight and smell - color of the smoke.

snwcmpr

You can wash the filters?

Yes.
I take "about" a half teaspoon of the full circle stuff I linked to in a glass baking dish and hot water.
I let it sit for a while (hours) and when i get back to it, I rinse in hot water and air dry till I change the filter again.
I have had my hot top since March 2011 and still use the original filters.
I have another new one still in the box.
I did change the other filter once, it doesn't need to be changed as often IMHO.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
I am 99% sure it is 15 amps, it would need to pull like a clothes dryer to require 30,

that said I will look and post later.

your going to love it and really enjoy the fresh roasted beans. stripe kitty just got a new to her Hot Top...

it's a great machine. I use mine daily for myself or to roast a couple of pounds for the local market, well country store, even folks out here in the boonies like fresh roasted.

-g

thanks again for becoming a member...

rockon

trobbrown
Boonies? I live in a flipping jungle. LOL.
OK, OK, so it is the best beach in Panama - but I can see the jungle - does that count? Rob Brown (aka Roberto Chocolat?)

ginny
Rob, speaking as a beach babe, if you can see it it counts...

the boonies is not the jungle, there is a difference.

I live in the boonies, you live in paradise...

-g

tiki

beach

now...

trobbrown
LOL - if you have not seen the Pacific Beaches of Panama, you are missing out - beautiful, gentle waves, 18 foot tides, fresh seafood and fish - and soon - freshly roasted coffee... I may need a personal consult - come to Panama - teach roasting classes?

John Despres

trobbrown wrote:

LOL - if you have not seen the Pacific Beaches of Panama, you are missing out - beautiful, gentle waves, 18 foot tides, fresh seafood and fish - and soon - freshly roasted coffee... I may need a personal consult - come to Panama - teach roasting classes?

I think a delegation of HRO representatives should be put together to help Rob.

I'm in.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

trobbrown
Great idea - A roasting roundup? A coffee convention? Home Roasting Reunion? I could arrange coffee plantation tours, one of which is done on horseback in the mountains of Boquete. Watch coffee roasting on an open fire in the jungle. Buy your parchment beans direct from one of twenty growers. $4 a pound.

The rallying call: "Roast your beans, roast your nuts - just be careful you don't roast your butt - look out Panama - here we come!"

jedovaty

trobbrown wrote:
The rallying call: "Roast your beans, roast your nuts - just be careful you don't roast your butt - look out Panama - here we come!"

Just make sure to use a lot of sunscreen. Trust me on this. I will speak no further on this topic.
(can't find an appropriate simley for this)

troposcuba
Hey Rob, what beach? We were there in January. We got some good surf along the pacific beaches and also in Bocas. We also stayed in Boquette for a week or so. We ended up finding our way to the Janson family coffee plantation in Volcan. One of the brothers just happened to be riding up on a horse as we wandered around the old runway near the farm. we asked him for directions, he pointed at the farm. we took a long leisurly horse ride with one of the kids that worked there for most of the day, then got to see the whole operation from growing to processing to shipping etc. Wish I could have stayed forever.

So do you wanna adopt me? i would cook and clean and do any other chores you have for me as long as you let me go surf when there are waves.
Sean

trobbrown
We live in Santa Clara in Pacific Beaches - known as the best beach in Panama - 2.5 km from the new international airport being built in Rio Hato (opening 2014) - Palmar beach is 22 km away - it is where the surf school is - my friends have a house in Nuevo Gorgona - another hot surfing area - and in Cham? - they have Nitro Resort - extreme kite surfing, wave runners, hot bodies and young people - it depends on how old you are - what you are looking for - Santa Clara is very warm water, gentle waves. Not a surfing beach. My nephew sean is moving down in November - he loves surfing too.

trobbrown
Anyone that has burned the nether regions knows - slather rather than sizzle - we are 7 degrees from the ecuador - we call it the seven degree flu. Booze, sun and fun until....

trobbrown
I am no longer a virgin - 5 roasts so far. I used the auto - could not get the beans dark enough. Have not tried a manual program yet - I will try this weekend - see if I can get it over 392 degrees.

Jump to Forum: