Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/05/2021 3:10 AM
Welcome, Johny Morrisson !

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 13

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,370
Newest Member: Johny Morrisson

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fuji-Based Automated Roaster Controller
Dan
Many home roasters desire automated or hands-free roasting. The program logic required is fairly simple once you have solved the temperature control issue. I believe that two PIDs might be able to be used in tandem to roast coffee from start to finish.

www.instrumart.com/assets/pxr3.jpgwww.instrumart.com/assets/pxr3.jpg

The Fuji PXR series of temperature controllers is popular with home roasters because it is the most inexpensive PID that includes a ramp/soak feature. The single input temperature controller also has some limited programming functions like digital input, two configurable alarm outputs, and internal timers.

A pair of these PIDs could work in tandem to control the entire roasting process from start to finish for a drum type roaster using their joint programming functions. For instance, PID1 could start the roast and monitor bean mass temperature. PID2 would monitor bean environment temperature and control the heater using its PID functions and the ramp/soak feature. When the desired PID1 set point was reached?i.e. the desired roast level?the relay output would open, shutting down PID2 and the heater. Then, one of the other alarms could activate the dumping mechanism, turn on the cooling fan and shut everything off after a programmed time delay. One of the other alarm outputs could be configured as a latching relay, preventing the roaster from starting up again.

Jump to Forum: