04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,223
Newest Member: Paul Kalb

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Party Snob
louca
best post

OK, first, let me apologize for not posting here very often. Priorities in life like my son getting married and other things seem to have pulled me away for a while. Thanks to the admins for not deleting members with low activity levels!

And my next and most painful apology is, here I am on a roasting forum and I have never roasted my own beans yet! But I am going to! Please don't throw me out!

I have found myself several times unintentionally being a coffee snob at parties and get-togethers. Usually its when I make the coffee and someone comments on how good it tastes and asks, "where did you get this coffee?" So I immediately start my response with the important things involved in a good-tasting cup of coffee: a fresh roast, water quality, and coffee quantity. (I know, there are lots of other important things, but that's where I start).

As I proceed with what I hope to be a "discussion" on coffee, I find it becomes more of a lecture, a sort of monologue, with my listeners onlooking with great interest. Virtually NONE of them know anything about the different levels of roasting, let alone things like varietal distinction. Their faces have this look that shows a combination of amazement, curiosity, and generally great interest. And ultimately, they ALL want to know how they can get a piece of what I have.

I am usually stalled by a comment from someone like, "I bought some expresso [sic] coffee at the store the other day, but it didn't taste anything like the stuff I get at a coffee shop." Often times, I don't even know where to start with a statement like that, and I almost get derailed. Should I mention that there is no such thing as an espresso bean? But usually I try to steer things toward roasting freshness and how most grocery stores sell totally stale coffee. (I have to be careful because in my area, a few grocery stores have a locally roasted brand of coffee that is supplied weekly). But then there's almost always someone who says, "Yeah, I keep my [pre-ground, e.g. Folgers] coffee fresh by keeping it in the freezer." Oh boy.

The good thing is that as our discussion (i.e. my sermon) goes on, I do not seem to lose anybody, and often times others join in to learn more. That is very encouraging. I don't have much to do to convince them of the results since they are partaking of it! Kind of like fishing in your aquarium ThumbsUp. And extremely rare is the blessed occasion where I will be joined by another home roaster. Wow, what a treat! I feel like someone has my back, my wing man!

Alas, there is a downside to being a coffee snob. When I go to parties that others throw, and they know I will be there, they are extremely hesitant to make ANY coffee, probably for fear I will judge it (or them). I try to remedy that by always taking a cup and drinking it. I am more than a few times surprised to find the coffee is somewhat OK and generally kind of acceptable, and probably totally acceptable to most. I might even tell them it is "good", where my definition of good is that most of the people at the party will enjoy it. Even if it is horrible, which I rarely find, I still stand there with my cup in hand to show that I am not a coffee snob ... which I really am.

Lou
Edited by ginny on 08/19/2012 2:14 PM
����������
Aillio R1 V2 Bullet, Behmor 2000AB+, Fellow Ode grinder, Escali L-600 scale, V60-02.
"I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here."

ginny
Lou:

you just missed the cut. we actually do, I do, empty member files if someone has not posted in 2 plus years.

the reason for that is some members simply use us as a vehicle to sell equipment, beans or butt naked videos and we simply don't want that left here for new members to see or put up with...

thanks for checking in and we appreciate your post. I did move your post to the new, hello this is me thread for multiple reasons.

ginny

rockon
Edited by ginny on 08/19/2012 2:12 PM

Koffee Kosmo
I wish someone would actually invite me to a party
Welcome back Louca

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

ginny
considered yourself and family and friends invited...

any day, any time!

tiki

smoking

louca
Thanks ginny, great bunch of folks here. Thanks for taking me back.

Lou
����������
Aillio R1 V2 Bullet, Behmor 2000AB+, Fellow Ode grinder, Escali L-600 scale, V60-02.

jzuzphreek

louca wrote:

As I proceed with what I hope to be a "discussion" on coffee, I find it becomes more of a lecture, a sort of monologue, with my listeners onlooking with great interest. Virtually NONE of them know anything about the different levels of roasting, let alone things like varietal distinction. Their faces have this look that shows a combination of amazement, curiosity, and generally great interest. And ultimately, they ALL want to know how they can get a piece of what I have.

Lou

You must be more interesting than me. When people ask me why I'm not drinking coffee, I usually try to just say something like "oh I'm just not in a coffee mood." But invariably, someone who knows the truth will pipe in and say with a sneer "yeah, he doesn't drink coffee that other people make."

That's when it begins.

Fortunately, the folks in my office get it. We've engaged in several thoughtful coffee discussions. They all understand freshness/preparation/grinding/proper temp, etc. They still drink the Keurig or Instant swill though. :)
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

snwcmpr
Old Thread....

I find I lose people when they learn that coffee beans are the seed of a fruit from a tree. Anything detailed about roasting or brewing is then lost.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

louca
The problem is, you can't make people appreciate something when they have no capacity to appreciate it. I have a friend who loves to drink coffee and when he was over at my house I offered him what I know to be a superb poor over cup of coffee (not bragging of course). He basically drank it down like "no big deal". If anything, for people like him it's kind of a Coke / Pepsi thing.
Edited by louca on 11/24/2021 4:24 PM
����������

OldMan41

louca wrote:

The problem is, you can?t make people appreciate something when they have no capacity to appreciate it. I have a friend who loves to drink coffee and when he was over at my house I offered him what I know to be a superb poor over cup of coffee (not bragging of course). He basically drank it down like ?no big deal?. If anything, for people like him it?s kind of a Coke / Pepsi thing.

I know I'm not a great roaster. Because I can't repeat it! Exactly...
Only roast once a week.
Only just recently got some equipment to help me...
My wife smokes. Just like you said... If I don't ask. Maybe a "go get some more of that good coffee".
I gave some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe to a family member.
Roasted medium and dark batch.
Waiting on response this weekend.
They drink Folgers silk during the week. Saving something they buy in the bag for the weekend.
Which is much better they say...
Not roasted Ethiopian much.
Not expecting much.
Roast Sumatra Lintong more...coffee drink

Jump to Forum: