Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 22

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: tahoeguy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gotta start roasting again!
jzuzphreek
Hey all! It's been quite a while since I've posted around here. Since my BM broke, I haven't roasted AT ALL! I've been afraid of wasting beans. However, being completely broke (specialty coffee just isn't in the budget), I'm at an impasse. I have some good greens, I have 2 good heat guns, a couple thermocouples and a good dog-bowl setup.

I KNOW I need to start roasting again, but EVERY time I've roasted in the DB, I've scorched the beans, and they just don't taste very good. What steps can I take to ensure that I don't scorch? What other NO-Cost options might be available to me?

I'm in desperate need here!

:300ccCoffee.gif:
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

jkoll42
It might not technically be NO cost, but can you keep an eye open for a used popper or BM at a yard sale, craigslist or thrift store? It would be VERY low cost...

You have any motors laying around that you could put through the bottom of the dog bowl to make a makeshift stirrer? Or someone you could make an indentured stirrer while you hold the gun?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jzuzphreek
I actually HAVE a Poppery in my garage!! I'm too chicken to mod it out! How sad is that?
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

jkoll42
Either mod the poppery or force yourself to drink a shot from starbucks - that should get you over your fear ThumbsUp
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jzuzphreek

jkoll42 wrote:

Either mod the poppery or force yourself to drink a shot from starbucks - that should get you over your fear ThumbsUp

Tough crowd! I think I'd rather Water boarding. At least if the water trickles into my mouth, it's just water. :)

Oooo I just thought of a terrifying new torture method! *$s Boarding!!!

The problem with the modding is that I look at the great long post, and I just kind of glaze over. And not the good kind of glaze like on donuts.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

JETROASTER
....or, throw some beans in the popper and let it rip! It will be alot better than *$boarding.
Simple works! Have Fun. -Scott

Lawnmowerman
What is broken on your bread machine? Perhaps you can salvage it. Please let us know. If it is discouraging to think about, maybe you could be persuaded to pick it up again. Even if you have to get another.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

jedovaty
Dude - you don't HAVE to mod. I'm with Scott, just throw beans in an have at it.

I went for a while without touching my popper. Just use an extension cord to slow down the roast a bit, and get one of those bbq or candy thermometers for $5 to stick it in and watch temps. I put mine in a cardboard box to recirculate the hot air for more efficiency.

Eventually I got curious, took mine apart - all I did was remove the little safety feature football shaped thing and open up the holes in the canister a bit.

You can get fancy later, like splitting up the heater and fan, but if you're not comfortable doing that, don't.

jzuzphreek
The bread maker is the kind with a hole in the bottom of the canister. The canister sits on a gasket around the shaft that holds the paddle. It started out working well, and I even got a friend to drill a hole for the heat gun into a stainless steel bowl to retain heat. However, the gasket began failing. Every time it comes loose, the BM shuts down and can't restart until I unplug it.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

Lawnmowerman
Its hard to envision the hub mechanism you are describing. Is there a kill switch that gets actuated when the gasket loosens. If so, it should be bypassed. If you are not using it any way, might as well tear into it to see how it ticks. Does the paddle detach easily?

jzuzphreek
the paddle detaches pretty easily since the gasket began to wear. I'll snap some pictures and post. And that's a good point... if I'm not using it, I guess it doesn't heart to tear it open.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

Lawnmowerman
What if you were to rivet a piece of metal from a cookie sheet or what ever, to the bottom of your bread pan, then drill a hole just big enough for the shaft? Would that help to keep the gasket in in place? Maybe two layers.

jzuzphreek
Hmm... Not sure. The paddle sits down inside the hole. lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KtPDuKMzV9M/T2CZDIeS2iI/AAAAAAAAAKg/wgtciDOM--g/s680/IMAG0267.jpg

Here's a picture from the top down with the bread pan in place.

The bread pan also locks onto the assembly where the shaft protrudes.
Edited by jzuzphreek on 09/14/2012 12:42 PM
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

Jump to Forum: