Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
2nd drum roaster
witoldb
I'm not happy with the results from my current roaster ("Drum roaster in glass tube" post).
Rosted beans look and smell good (roasting up to 2 to 3 minutes after 1st crack, total time around 15 minutes) but they have strange hint of chemicals smell, bit like solvent or paint brush cleaner.
Also I have to raise ET to 320 deg C to get down to around 15 minutes.
I think my problem is with most hot air bypassing the beans and flowing out through top of wire mesh drum.
Started today building solid drum.
Holes are 4 mm.
Wall is 1 mm thick and is from S/S water pump casing, end plate from 2 mm S/S plate.
witoldb attached the following images:
dsc01468.jpg dsc01467.jpg dsc01465.jpg dsc01463.jpg

Home: Breville DB, Mahlkonig Vario+K30
Work: Nuova Simonelli single group Aurelia I +MDX grinder
300g DIY drum roaster

allenb
Nice work on the drum! How will you isolate air path to the rear of the drum only?

I think you're on the right path. Directing the convection air through the drum will allow a lower ET with less volatile loss and hopefully eliminate odd flavors.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus
Wow. Really nice! You're a lot more ambitious with a drill press than I am. Grin
Can you give the dims on the drum? Looking forward to your progress reports, thanks for sharing.
Clever Coffee Dripper
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Completed drum roaster project photos shown here:
Photos https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Videos https://www.youtu...Bd1NrdpSUH

witoldb
I'm thinking about conventional layout with heating elements under the drum and cyclone on the outlet.
Do you think that elements and exhaust fan (for cyclone) from small table top oven similar to photo below will be suitable?
Drilling finished.
Drum is bit short; 118 mm long by 123 mm ID, 1.4 liter volume.
Will try to extend it in the front with S/S sheet (have to finish spot welder first).
table_oven.jpg dsc01476.jpg dsc01471.jpg

300g DIY drum roaster

witoldb
I made some progress.
Heating elements are 375 W each x 4 = 1500 W total power.
Got TC4C board and Samwon SM-490 PID controller (3 programs, each with 20 ramping segments).
Working now on bushings to mount the drum on the shaft.
Next will be mixing vanes.
I also made spot welder which I will use to make thermocouples and SS covers for the drum/insulation + to weld some sheeting to the front of drum to increase its length and volume to around 2 liters.
Do you know if glass from Petri dish will be suitable for wieving window and if it is possible to cut it with Dremmel tool?
roaster1_1.jpg roaster2.jpg roaster3.jpg spotwelder.jpg

300g DIY drum roaster

yamhill
Nice progress on the roaster. Nice spot welder too. I don't know about the Petri dish, but you can find discussions here. Try searching for "sight glass".
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.

seedlings
Very nice progress! I'm contemplating a drum roaster project, and appreciate this project very much.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb

witoldb wrote:

I made some progress.
Got TC4C board and Samwon SM-490 PID controller (3 programs, each with 20 ramping segments).
I also made spot welder which I will use to make thermocouples and SS covers for the drum/insulation + to weld some sheeting to the front of drum to increase its length and volume to around 2 liters.
Do you know if glass from Petri dish will be suitable for wieving window and if it is possible to cut it with Dremmel tool?

This is turning into a very nice roaster. Curious about the disc on the front end of the roaster and how the dump door fit's into the design?

On the petri dish. cutting with a Dremel would most likely be a real challenge. Would need a wet diamond wheel from what I remember and even with this it would require precision to not chip or crack it. It's possible to use regular glass as long as you install it where it can move in all directions with out pinching. I would use three thin sheet metal tabs to provide spring-like tension against the glass from the inside.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Dan
A petri dish is probably borosilicate glass (aka Pyrex). I have some glass discs. They are about 2" in diameter and probably plain glass. I believe they were for flashlight lenses. Send me your address and I'll mail you some for free.

witoldb
Thank you for the offer but I'm from Dubai.
I will try tommorow to cut the petri dish.
Actually I have Proxxon mini drill wich has got much smaller run-out then Dremmel so hopefully it will work.
300g DIY drum roaster

witoldb
The disc in the front is a pot stand with silicone feet removed. It will be removable in case I will need to take out drum
for cleaning or modifications. Front and back plates are held in place by M4 studs and 1/4" spacer tubes.

I've cut the Petri dish and fabricated the door. View glass is approximately 50 x 30 mm. Final shape had to be done with sand paper.
It's separated from the frame by silicone gaskets.
dsc01524.jpg dsc01528.jpg dsc01531.jpg dsc01532.jpg dsc01533.jpg dsc01538.jpg dsc01542.jpg dsc01543.jpg

300g DIY drum roaster

ginny
beautiful work you are doing. I appreciate your sharing this with all of us.

you cut the glass OK and it is in place?

ginny

witoldb
The glass is installed but it didn't show in the photos.
Took some again to catch some reflection.
dsc01545.jpg dsc01546.jpg

300g DIY drum roaster

witoldb
Made some progress with drum veins and trier.
Shape of veins attached directly to the drum is based on formula for helical strakes for stacks.
I will attach drum extension after cleaning the vanes from brazing flux.
dsc01570.jpg dsc01565.jpg dsc01564.jpg dsc01563.jpg dsc01558.jpg dsc01556.jpg dsc01553.jpg dsc01551.jpg dsc01549.jpg

Edited by witoldb on 12/03/2012 2:30 PM
300g DIY drum roaster

coffeeroastersclub

witoldb wrote:

I made some progress.

Is that a homemade spot welder?? If so, how did you put that together. Very curious.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

witoldb
I've used 800 W transformer with 220/380 V primary and I think 2x 24V secondary windings.
Secondary winding is removed and replaced with 5.5 turns of 25 sq mm cable (maximum I could fit in available space).
Cable is soldered to copper flat bars (insulated from each other); top bar can pivot and has got handle with trigger switch.
Switch triggers SSR relay on primary side. SSR is DC input so I had to use small SMPS power supply.
I'm using 380 V winding as with 220 V power draw was too high - whole transformer was getting hot within 1 or 2 seconds.
300g DIY drum roaster

coffeeroastersclub

witoldb wrote:

I've used 800 W transformer with 220/380 V primary and I think 2x 24V secondary windings.
Secondary winding is removed and replaced with 5.5 turns of 25 sq mm cable (maximum I could fit in available space).
Cable is soldered to copper flat bars (insulated from each other); top bar can pivot and has got handle with trigger switch.
Switch triggers SSR relay on primary side. SSR is DC input so I had to use small SMPS power supply.
I'm using 380 V winding as with 220 V power draw was too high - whole transformer was getting hot within 1 or 2 seconds.

I use the typical jaw clamp one you can get from ebay for around $150. Been using it for years, runs on 110VAC. I love it, very handy tool. I think it is really cool that you made one. I love this kind of inventive stuff. ThumbsUp

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

Coffeeluke
Was this ever finished? Would love to see some updates!

witoldb
I?ve got distracted by bargain espresso gear:
1. NS Oscar for $30; restored and modified + DIY thermofilter - details on HB forum
2. Faulty Saeco Incanto Digital for $60; repaired and sold with profit to finance used Elektra MXS grinder. I only had to install compression instead of push-in fitting in thermoblock as it kept blowing out after steaming.

In addition started Gaggia Classic mods (RTD/PT100 instead of temp. switches driving proportional regulator, timer to give 50% power to heating elements 4 seconds before pump starts and to maintain it during the shot). I will soon post the details on CG forum.

Hope to get back to the roaster soon.
300g DIY drum roaster

tamarian
Hi Witold, just checked the HB thread, amazing stuff, but the roaster should come first ;-) Are you going to the SCAA training next month?
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

witoldb
I will definitely come to the event.
Not sure yet about the training.
300g DIY drum roaster

Ringo
Great roaster. I just wanted to say if you cut glass dry with a cutoff wheel be very careful with the dust. A small amount inhaled can give you silicosis, or scars to the lungs. Very dangerous.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

witoldb
At last I made some progress on my roaster.
ET and BT probes are electrically isolated from the body. There is 60mm space at the back of the drum.
Drum motor is a stepper with rpm's adjustable via pot.
Drum cover is made from 2 layers to reduce heat loss. I will see later if I need insulation.
Tray holding heating elements will be insulated from the bottom with castable refractory.
I did some trials without power, with up to 500g greens and rotating the drum by hand to determine best location for BT probe.
Beans are mixing nicely, unload quickly and don't get trapped between vanes.
I had to cut back little bit of inner vanes to avoid bumps against the trier.
I'm not sure if large pulley on the shaft won't get too hot - maybe I will need to install some kind of aluminium disk with fins to act as a heat sink.
I went for stepper motor and belt drive because it was generating vibrations/noise from drum when driving the shaft directly, even through flexible coupling.
Also I've tried few geared DC motors but they were noisy.
Drum housing with the drive can pivot for cleaning.
Shaft is fixed in front bearing with rear floating.
Next I have to start working on a cyclone.
10_et_probe.jpg 9_bt_probe.jpg 8_drum_motor.jpg 7_dump_valve.jpg 6_rear_2.jpg 5_rear.jpg 4_right_side.jpg 3_left_side.jpg 2_front_2.jpg 1front_1.jpg

300g DIY drum roaster

witoldb
Some more photos.
19_without_drum.jpg 18_with_drum.jpg 17_open_for_cleaning.jpg 16_hopper_3.jpg 15_hopper_2.jpg 14_hopper_1.jpg 13_vanes_2.jpg 12_vanes_1.jpg 11_drum.jpg

300g DIY drum roaster

Lylabrown
Thanks for posting an update, the build quality and workmanship are top notch.

It looks like your drive pulley will act as a heat sink to keep the belt cool. Drilling a few holes in it will likely enhance the effect. Same goes for the motor mount plate. Maybe some 'hot' testing is in order to see if any changes are necessary. I certainly learned a lot when firing my roaster up the first time regarding expansion and sensitive components getting a little too hot.

Keep the updates coming.

Russ

Jump to Forum: