Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 13

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: tahoeguy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
What kind of water do you use?
City Water City Water 35%[6 Votes]
RO water RO water 12%[2 Votes]
Bottled water Bottled water 6%[1 Vote]
Special filtered water, aka Brita etc Special filtered water, aka Brita etc 18%[3 Votes]
You built your own filter system You built your own filter system 29%[5 Votes]
Total Votes : 17
 Print Thread
Water for coffee...
ginny
What do you use for your coffee?

-g

Dan
My water comes from our well, very pure, but hard and full of iron. I soften it, run it through an RO unit, then remineralize it with calcite.

Randy G
My story is documented on my website:
Part 1 : http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/water1.html
Part 2 - http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/water2.html

Basically, the softening system from Chris Coffee (Sion exchange and carbon filters) with my own designed plumbing system to a plumbed machine.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

ginny
Hey Dan:

I have copious amount of iron in my well well water too...

I have just set up a water boss and it's great combined with my whole house filter.
that times 2 water comes into yet another in my kitchen before it hits the RO that we use to drink and of course for my coffee.

I don't count my brothers or kathryn's coffee, coffee, they will ONLY DRINK FOLGERS...

go figure!

-g

rockon

ginny
Randy:

thanks very much for the links...

appreciate your taking time and I love your avatar. I am still trying to get the motion
going. driving me nuts so i have sent it to a friend who is an avatar guru...

we will how guru he is.

-g

tiki time
Edited by ginny on 10/02/2012 9:20 AM

snwcmpr
I use well water from 280 ft.
It originates in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
In 3 years I never had any deposits on my Zojirushi hot water dispenser.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

greencardigan
I just use city water which is supposedly quite good here near Sydney. My TDS meter tells me we have 72 ppm total dissolved solids.

seedlings

snwcmpr wrote:

I use well water from 280 ft.
It originates in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
In 3 years I never had any deposits on my Zojirushi hot water dispenser.

Ken

Lucky!

Our water tastes fine, but the hardness kills coffee equipment, washing machines, dishwashers, hot water heaters... (all of these I've replaced in the 8 years since the home was built).

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dan
My water comes from the underground Teays River, from glacial times. I've heard that it would be one of the last water supplies to be safe to drink following a nuclear holocaust. We have two wells, one electric, and one a manual pump, both at 120 feet.

seedlings
My water comes from the Missouri River. You've heard of the 'Muddy Mississippi' river? Most of the Muddy Mississippi river comes from the Missouri river. In fact, technically, the Mississippi should be a tributary of the Missouri river because the MO is much longer. But, the explorers hit the Mississippi first and explored it north-to-south before following the Mo.

Point: Muddy. Mud is dirt and clay. Dirt and clay are minerals. Minerals taste fine, but kill equipment.

CHAD

yamhill
I use city water (Portland, OR) and I use active carbon filtration for drinking, cooking, and espresso machine. The filter is primarily to cut down the chlorine. Our water is quite soft.

JimG
5/6 bottled spring water + 1/6 tap water, mixed a gallon at a time for two pourover espresso machines. The spring water is extremely soft and the tap is pretty hard around here. The mixture was determined based on testing with an aquarium test kit.

Goal was to keep it soft enough to avoid scale, but with just enough hardness for taste.

Jim

jzuzphreek
No idea if our water is hard or soft. It tastes ok and that's what matters to me.

And washes soap off in the shower.... that's important too.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

jzuzphreek

seedlings wrote:

My water comes from the Missouri River. You've heard of the 'Muddy Mississippi' river? Most of the Muddy Mississippi river comes from the Missouri river. In fact, technically, the Mississippi should be a tributary of the Missouri river because the MO is much longer. But, the explorers hit the Mississippi first and explored it north-to-south before following the Mo.

Point: Muddy. Mud is dirt and clay. Dirt and clay are minerals. Minerals taste fine, but kill equipment.

CHAD

Bitter much?

The Mississippi goes through a cooler city, so we win. party
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

seedlings

jzuzphreek wrote:

Bitter much?

The Mississippi goes through a cooler city, so we win. party

HA!

:smileyi201.gif:

CHAD

Jump to Forum: