Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 12

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: tahoeguy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New to homeroasting, cajun coffee culture, and coffee cooling solution
Bearpaw
Hey, Bearpaw here, aka Wally Hebert from deep south Louisiana.

Retired, but doing grandkids, music, and coffee full time.

Growing up in Southwest Louisiana, in the late 1940's if we saw a cloud of dust on the shell road, Grandma said, Put on the Teakettle. In my earliest memories I knew how to drip coffee for the family. Gravity drip Community Coffee between dark and medium. in metal and porcelain pots from Belgium that were already antiques then and I still brew in today.

Grandmother Hebert tried to teach me to roast in the oven and in skillet, to very smoky, uneven, and aromatic (read, smoky) results.

Moved to Tennessee in 1982 and imported Community and made fun of Starbucks for decades. Bought Behmor April of 2011, moved to Genecafe a week ago, and wondering why I waited so long. Learned a lot about coffee roasting and that I needed to be able to adjust on the fly, hence the genecafe. 200 Behmor bakes/roasts and 7 on the Gene.

After reading these threads, I decided to air cool as soon as I was familiar with the gene. Was planning to use shopvac, colander, cylindrical container and was prepared to tinker.

Visited Walmart, grabbed colander and just started walking around the store looking for a container. Hit the jackpot in automotive. A "Rhino" oil change 10 quart reservoir. Big hole with lid on top 7 inches diameter, and small capped opening in side inch and quarter. Voila, no drilling necessary. Six bucks.

It cools 8 ounces at second crack in 30 seconds to room temp.

Now I have more time to play guitar while I am buzzed on outstanding coffee.

Behmor on the sidelines, Genecafe forever, use Moccamaster, aeropress, antique drip pots. Google Wally Hebert and you'll get my dad's major league stats. He could bend a curve ball around the corner of the house.

seedlings
good post
Guitar-playing welcome to you Wally bear! Great intro.

welcome2

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
cool

Wally:

Thanks for joining us and I want to give you a personal thank you for posting here and saying hello...

We have a lo going on around here and if you cllck DISCUSSION FORUM
?
top left you will find all the forums and I am sure you will find some cool stuff.

have a great day...

ginnysmoking

jzuzphreek
Always nice to meet a fellow Louisiana roaster. New Orleans here, but I don't judge. ThumbsUp

Welcome to the party!
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

John Despres
Welcome, Wally! I think we're distant cousins. My great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was Louis Hebert. I know some of his descendants traveled south from Quebec, so it's possible we're family. Besides the Gene Cafe, coffee roasting family, that is.

Thanks for joining us and enjoy your new GC!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

jzuzphreek
Wow! Good coffee and family reunions! What a great place this HRO is!
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

Bearpaw
Jessy we moved from Spain street in Gentilly when we came to Tennessee. I was in grad school at Tulane and my wife Brenda taught nursing at touro. Love New Orleans! W

allenb
Howdy Bearpaw,

Great to have you on board! Nice to hear from folks from cajun country. My mother is from Vidrine (not far from the swamps, the greatest food and music). My Grandmother roasted their own in a cast iron pot or skillet during the depression and bought Community and Seaport later on. Still remember waking up to the sound of the old wall mount cast iron coffee grinder around 6am and the accompanying rich aroma wafting through the place.

Here's a photo of the biggin she brewed in from the mid 30's on till she passed away in the late 70's.

Allen
allenb attached the following image:
1-biggin004.jpg

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: