Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,208
Newest Member: branchu

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Turbo oven and TC4 roaster controls
fullofdays
I'm interested in modifying my SO2007 Turbo oven in order to control the heating element. Basically, I'm looking at using two TRIAC's to provide variable power to control my turbo oven. One TRIAC to provide variable power using phase angle control. The other can be set up to use a close relative of PWM called integral cycle control (ICC).

What I have found in my research is that one way ICC is implemented on the TC4 system is that it sequentially looks at every half wave of the AC power and decides whether that wave should be on or off, depending on the output level requested by the user.

There's a few guys that did this on a quest machine...

http://nselabs.wordpress.com/projects/coffee-roaster-controls/

Because I'm not an electrical engineer, I need to understand what I need to modify my turbo oven with TRIAC's and also the hardware/software setup for ordering the TC4.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

greencardigan
That's a good article you linked to there! That system uses essentially the same parts as the TC4 system.

Have a look at Jim's TC4 system wiring diagram. It shows all the parts required to do phase control and ICC control of a Quest roaster. I'm not familiar with the SO2007 Turbo Oven though.

http://www.mlgp-l...111120.jpg

Jim has shown the heater and fan connected to SSRs instead of triacs like the article in your link but either way will work. SSR's are probably easier and safer.

There are a few variants of software for the TC4 that each offer different features. You've probably seen some of the TC4 threads here or the software info on the TC4 google code site. http://code.googl...c4-shield/

fullofdays
Thanks for the links. Can you explain to a novice why SSR's are easier and safer than Triacs? Has anyone fully built a Turbo oven in this manner? I've seen some Variacs setup to control temp...

bvwelch
When I use the term Triac, I am talking about a low-level circuit with lots of exposed connections and possibility of mis-wiring, etc.

When I think of an SSR, I am thinking of a higher-level device that has its circuits enclosed in a case with very few contacts exposed. Also it should include a detailed description of its intended use.

Both would likely require a hefty heat sink and both pose a serious shock risk so keep one hand in your pocket at all times.

Assuming you split any fan circuit from your heater circuit, it seems reasonable to me that you could control the heat with an SSR.

When I first started trying to tinker with DIY coffee roasters, I had assumed that Triacs would be cheaper than SSRs, but that is not true. Looking back, it would have been better to go with SSR.

Variacs, assuming you get a hefty one, are great for manual control, but if you want to use a TC4 for logging anyway, you can avoid the cost of the Variac by using a SSR for heat control.

fullofdays
This is a huge help. Thanks Bill. I am amazed at all the wise folks on this forum who make it such a great place. cheers

Jump to Forum: