btreichel

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
thermal coupling for Via Venezia
imaroaster
I can find some info on adding a pid but I think I just want to add a thermal coupling so I can watch the temps.

So the question is what kind/style of thermal coupling to use and where to connect it?

John

imaroaster
Bump.

JimG I see you have a PID for a Silvia, what do you use for a Thermal coupler?

-John

yamhill
I'm not JimG, but I too have a PIDed silvia. I use an Omega thermocouple with a bolt-on style end. Make sure that your PID can match your thermocouple type. I put the bolt-end under a thermostat mounting screw on the top of the boiler. Omega also has a variety of stick-on thermocouples.

John
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.

imaroaster
Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to connect it a thermometer with a k type connector. Is a bolt on better than a stick on?

-John

JimG
Hi, John -

Sorry to be late to the party Grin

I make/use a washer-style thermocouple sensor for Silvia's. The ring part is sized for a #6 screw. The screws that fasten the thermostats to a Silvia's boiler seem to be M3, so the #6 ring fits well.

Some espresso machines use M4 screws to mount the thermostats. Gaggia, for example. For those machines I use a ring sized for a #8 screw.

For my PID kits I supply type T thermocouples because they offer slightly higher accuracy in the temperature range of interest, and they are a little easier for me to make with my equipment. But type K is fine, too.

Jim

JimG

imaroaster wrote:Is a bolt on better than a stick on?
-John

Yes. Much better.

Jim

imaroaster
Jim, are you allowed to reveal you source? Grin

JimG

imaroaster wrote:

Jim, are you allowed to reveal you source? Grin

Yes, of course. I make them in my shop.

I use a small 24V capacitor-discharge welder and a carbon electrode to strike an arc and weld a bead that joins the ends of the thermocouple wires. Then I use a bit of lead-free solder to thermally bond the bead to the body of the copper ring terminal.

I couldn't find any commercial products that gave the performance I wanted. They all used materials with much higher temperature ratings, which are not needed for this application.

Jim

Jump to Forum: