Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,628
Newest Member: tombull

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roaster building rules
Lawnmowerman
These are the rules. I didnt write them, but I believe they are very good rules to abide by......for me at least. 1. I will only work on one roaster at a time. 2. I will not modify the poppery2 until I obtain another poppery2. 3. I will not clutter up the house with accumulated parts that might be one day be used on a roaster... or the front porch. 4.When my wife asks what Im thinking, I wont mention that Im thinking about building a roaster. 5.When at the store, I will shop for the things I came to the store for. 6. If I have only only one working roaster, I will not tear it apart and turn it into a non working roaster. 7. If I bring anything home that is roaster or coffee related, I will not obscure this fact from my wife. 8. Cheap or free is the way to go. 9. I will not cut up any more of the household baking tins. 10. For every part that I purchase to build a roaster, I will bring home two gifts for my wife.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Lawnmowerman
My wife has reviewed these rules, has verified that they are altogether true and correct, and has approved them for posting to this site. I agree with these rules, as they apply to me, and for the most part, have been able to abide by them. I am not writing this under diress, nor have I been coerced. Furthermore, I honestly believe that I have the most wonderful wife in the world, and I am so blessed to have her as my own. Feel free to adopt any of these roaster building rules as your own. How many thought this was a thread on construction techniques?

John Despres
Uh, oh.... I think someone's wife has hacked his HRO account.

Grin
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

RoasterRob
I think I have broken more of these rules than I haven't. Especially #1, I have about 4 roaster builds on the go. The roaster I currently use keeps getting mods along the way too.
Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

ginny
rules, rules, what's a rules???

ginny

Roflmao

Koffee Kosmo
I overcome problems with the wife by designing with her input
Also most of my 20+ designs were conceived in my mind or in dreams

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

JETROASTER
"1. I will only work on one roaster at a time."
.....may not be a wise R+D policy.....but whatever works I guess.
"4.When my wife asks what Im thinking, I wont mention that Im thinking about building a roaster."
....you won't need to ...she already knows the answer.
"5.When at the store, I will shop for the things I came to the store for."
....this wording does not exclude looking for OTHER roaster parts...very clever.
"6. If I have only only one working roaster, I will not tear it apart and turn it into a non working roaster. "
...this is just common sense
"7. If I bring anything home that is roaster or coffee related, I will not obscure this fact from my wife."
.....this 'good faith' policy seems to conflict with the covert sentiments of rule #4
"10. For every part that I purchase to build a roaster, I will bring home two gifts for my wife. "
....very wise indeed. This may be the most important policy. I would include 'assemblies' in place of 'parts'....this will help keep the budget under control!
Best of luck balancing the creative with the responsible! -Scott

Lawnmowerman
Thanks Scott. You read what I wrote between the lines! As for rule 1: it is possible to work on 1 roaster @ a time on the same day! Just follow rule3 very closely. John, my wife set up my HRO account. I am most greatful. Paul, I have read about your cabinet that packs everything away. Great idea!

Lawnmowerman
Thanks Scott. You read what I wrote between the lines! As for rule 1: it is possible to work on 1 roaster @ a time on the same day! Just follow rule3 very closely. John, my wife set up my HRO account. I am most greatful. Paul, I have read about your cabinet that packs everything away. Great idea!

Dan
So who did write them???

Lawnmowerman
Hi Dan. I couldnt say I wrote them, because my wife dictated them to me. I did put them to text, and I was the cause of them, so technically...

flyingtravis
I think Rule 10. "For every part that I purchase to build a roaster, I will bring home two gifts for my wife." has to be followed...Its the only way to not sneak parts into the house. I am only a couple weeks into my build and my wife is already tired of me talking about it. Maybe she needs more gifts LOL!

Dan
Oh, so they aren't rules so much as they are commandments!

Ringo
New rule, Do this for your wife. It is not healthy for her to get mad all the time. All boxes of roaster parts must be delivered to work not your house. This prevents the "YOU HAVE BOXES" or "I SHOULD INVEST IN UPS".
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

John Despres
I don't build my roasters at home. I just bring them home if I ever finish them...
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings

John Despres wrote:

I don't build my roasters at home. I just bring them home if I ever finish them...

Aaahhh yes!

Rule #0.5) Establish a hideout.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dan
I don't know what the fuss is all about. In perspective, home coffee roasting and brewing is one of the safer, cheaper, quieter, and tastiest of hobbies.

Lawnmowerman
Update: Rule# 11. Once I have found the "sweet spot", I will NOT get greedy. I will NOT attempt to increase capacity. Or any other mods which are remotely possible to alter the delicate balance that my roaster needs to maintain it's dynamics. To increase yield, a new roaster is in order.

Jump to Forum: