Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,051
Newest Member: jimmyandrew
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Possible Roasting temps... was no subject
Howie Cohen
Hey Gang,
Are there temperatures associated with each of these stages?
Are any of you familiar?

Green Coffee (obviously room temp)

Drying Phase

First Crack Ocurrs Here

Cinnamon Roast

New England Roast

American Roast

City Roast

Second Crack Ocurrs Here

Full City Roast

Vienna Roast

French Roast

Italian Roast

Spanish Roast
Edited by ginny on 10/25/2012 12:10 PM
ginny
Howie:

NO there are not; this totally depends on your type of roaster. what are you using, inside/outside, gas/electric the list continues though I must say at a spanish roast I see charcoal in your future...

-g

Roflmao
yamhill
Howie,

I used a chart of bean temperatures to help understand the roasting process. I still use it as a reference. To Ginny's point, you can see a whole lot of different measurements from different roasters, different points on a roaster, and with different measurement techniques. I use the following chart as a general guideline for bean-mass temperature.

I found the chart here. https://www.sweet...gree-roast

degree of Roast Temp
Green Unroasted 75
Starting to pale 270
Early yellow 327
Yellow-Tan 345
Light Brown 370
Brown 393
1st Crack Begins 401
1st Crack Under Way 415
City Roast 426
City+ 435
Full City 446
Full City+ 454
Vienna (Light French) 465
Full French 474
Fully Carbonized 486
Immanent Fire 497

John
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.
ginny
while I agree with John in principle the issue remains that some roasters, Hot Top, Behmor etc only go to maybe 425 so the guide goes out the window unless you have a probe inside which will only help if your roaster is not preset to shut down at a specific temp...

look, feel and your roasting gut are the best ways for someone to start to roast; my opinion only.

thanks fr the guide John, seen many around I just don't use them as a rule for myself.

-g

BBQ grill
oldgearhead
Howie, if you are refering to bean mass temperatures, then the Sweet Maria guide is a good reference. However, Ginny is right in stating it all depends on how the measurement is aquired and the type of roaster,
In some roasting appliances such as the Gene cafe' it's very difficult to get any bean mass temperature readings. Furthermore, fluid-bed roasters can be tricky because of all the hot air influence.

I do think both the Behmor and Hottop probably do exceed 425F, inside
environmental temperature.
oldgearhead attached the following image:
roaster_tc.jpg

No oil on my beans...
ciel-007

Howie Cohen wrote:

Are there temperatures associated with each of these stages?
-
-First Crack Ocurrs Here
-
-Second Crack Ocurrs Here
-

Hi Howie and welcome to HRO. The question you asked is actually a lot more complex than you may have imagined. There are many types of temperatures involved in the coffee roasting process. For example, if you meant the actual temperature of the beans when 1C and 2C occur, then the answer is YES and here are links to posts showing the bean mass temperature at which those critical events begin in a drum roaster:

http://forum.home...post_38081

http://forum.home...post_38082

Measuring the above temperatures precisely is more difficult than most people realize. The difficulty stems from the fact that there are many sources of measurement error. Because of those measurements errors, it is incumbent upon the person posting the temperatures to explain exactly what was measured, how the measurements were taken, what instruments were used, the precision of those instruments, etcHere is a link to a post that shows some of the procedures that were followed (to reduce measurement error) while measuring bean mass temperatures in a drum roaster.

http://forum.home...post_38080
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
snwcmpr

I do think both the Behmor and Hottop probably do exceed 425F, inside environmental temperature.

I agree, I do not believe the HotTop oven temp reading is correct.
Maybe it is influenced by the oven material the probe is in contact with. Someone here insulated their probe with silicone from a spatula.
I am speaking of my Basic-2 model, and they recently upgraded to a "K" probe.
The HotTop will automatically eject if oven temp hits 428.
Is the oven temp more accurate with the new "K" probe?

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
georgel
Interesting. In my previous roaster [Modified Ronco] I found 420* to be a common measure of the roaster temp. at 1st crack. But I had moved the heating elemnt to the bottom and measured behind the center of the drum. 1st crack was ~13 min. finish was +4 min. [1lb batch] My latest roaster, [another modified Ronco] has the heating element in the stock position. Measuring the heat is problematical. and the tmp can vary 100* from top to bottom. I have added even more insulation and put ceramic tile in the bottom. I preheat to 500* then get to 1st crack at ~ 11 min. and finish 3.5 Min later for a roast time of ~14.5 min. and this yealds ~ F+

yamhill wrote:

Howie,

I used a chart of bean temperatures to help understand the roasting process. I still use it as a reference. To Ginny's point, you can see a whole lot of different measurements from different roasters, different points on a roaster, and with different measurement techniques. I use the following chart as a general guideline for bean-mass temperature.

I found the chart here. https://www.sweet...gree-roast

degree of Roast Temp
Green Unroasted 75
Starting to pale 270
Early yellow 327
Yellow-Tan 345
Light Brown 370
Brown 393
1st Crack Begins 401
1st Crack Under Way 415
City Roast 426
City+ 435
Full City 446
Full City+ 454
Vienna (Light French) 465
Full French 474
Fully Carbonized 486
Immanent Fire 497

John

]
yamhill
Georgel,

Just remember the advice from Ginny and Oldgearhead. These temperatures are generalities.

These numbers are also supposed to bean mass readings - meaning that you need to measure the temperature of the beans - not the air, not the drum, or anything else. These numbers work fairly well for me because I'm air roasting and my bean mass temperature probe has a good amount of bean contact throughout the roast.

Even so, I can push heat and air flow to the point that the bean movement reduces the bean-to-temperature-probe contact and my readings diverge from the temps in the earlier post.

John
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.
seedlings
John is right on. +/- 10F on any bean temperature reading from the sweetmarias link is just fine.

Ambient temperature is a different animal. If my thermocouple is correct, I hit the beans with air temperatures over 600F at times.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Jump to Forum: