Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 3 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Enhancing My HotTop (5 of 5) – Advanced Modifications
ciel-007

turtle wrote:

... last night I finished wiring in switches for the main fan and bean cooler motors as well as the temp sensor interrupt for "hot start" back to back roasts... I am sure that I will use these additional functions numerous times starting with today's roast...

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/mods1_zpsa8f467d5.jpg

Mick, congrats for a fine looking series of mods.

Is it correct to assume that you have a "B" roaster without the Emergency Eject Knob on the back? If memory serves, I don't think it's possible for you to use the " Tryer and Partial Bean Dump" feature unless that "B" model is further modified. If that's the case with your Hottop, have you considered adding a Tryer Function and Partial Bean Dump function by:
a) drilling a small hole through the Rear Cover,
b) inserting a wire (or small metal rod) through the hole, and
c) attaching wire to the ejection door arm near the Bean Ejection Solenoid?

http://homeroaste...post_40019

I have never had the opportunity to test the above mod, and am most curious about how well it works (or not). Mick, if you, or other HRO members, have attempted the " Tryer Function and Partial Bean Dump Mod" on a KN8828, KN8828D, KN8828B or KN-8828P roaster, I would encourage you to post photos of your accomplishment.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
turtle

ciel-007 wrote:

Mick, congrats for a fine looking series of mods.

Is it correct to assume that you have a "B" roaster without the Emergency Eject Knob on the back? If memory serves, I don't think it's possible for you to use the " Tryer and Partial Bean Dump" feature unless that "B" model is further modified. If that's the case with your Hottop, have you considered adding a Tryer Function and Partial Bean Dump function by:
a) drilling a small hole through the Rear Cover,
b) inserting a wire (or small metal rod) through the hole, and
c) attaching wire to the ejection door arm near the Bean Ejection Solenoid?

http://homeroaste...post_40019

I have never had the opportunity to test the above mod, and am most curious about how well it works (or not). Mick, if you, or other HRO members, have attempted the " Tryer Function and Partial Bean Dump Mod" on a KN8828, KN8828D, KN8828B or KN-8828P roaster, I would encourage you to post photos of your accomplishment.

Ciel

THANK YOU for posting such compelling modifications in such detail!!!!

Yes I have an older B (standard) model but I just finished updating it with the manual bean dump upgrade. The machine still uses the button thermocouple as I feel that is acceptable as I am also trying to get my dual probe system to work which will pretty much obsolete the hottop probe for everything except too hot turn on and max temp dump functions.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/mods/probes_inside_roasting_chamber1_zpsba5e706f.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/mods/setup1_zpse54e1e6f.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
zhensley

RAG wrote:

I added a diode just after the bean cooling fan so that I can switch the fan and bean rotor motor on without activating the main fan, but still allow the normal design function of both fans being on the same circuit for normal operation.
So now I have a switch that turns on only the bean fan and motor by grounding the yellow wire (U2p5) and the bean tray fan. Normal operation is whenever the main unit fan is off, the bean tray fan is off. I figured if doing back to back, I may want to cool beans, while not activating main chamber fan.

Thank you all for the highly informative posts. Tonight I installed the 165 barrier switch which can be seen in the picture.

I am really interested in activating the cooling fan and motor at the same time, but I do not follow the directions above. Am I right to understand that Ciel's directions just activate the motor and not the fan, and the mod above activates both? If so, RAG would you mind explaining your mod a bit more? Maybe a picture or diagram?

Thanks for the help
zhensley attached the following image:
img_1288_copy.jpg
ciel-007
Clarification about the "auto-FAN-man" Switch (Post #4)

zhensley wrote:

... I am really interested in activating the cooling fan and motor at the same time ... Am I right to understand that Ciel's directions just activate the motor and not the fan, and the mod above activates both? If so, RAG would you mind explaining your mod a bit more? Maybe a picture or diagram? ...

There are two cooling fans (Main Cooling Fan and Bean Cooling Fan) operating on the same circuit, and they both work at the same time. Although I have not tried RAG's fan mod, perhaps I might shed further light on the mod I proposed earlier.

When I proposed "Adding a Cooling Fan Switch", it was to achieve "Faster Cool Downs After Ejecting the Beans". In other words, the "FAN" switch shown in my photo is intended to turn the Main Cooling Fan ON (after the roaster has come to a full stop) in order to lower the temperature of the Hottop to 165F.

As it turns out, lowering the temperature of the Hottop to 165F before loading the greens for the next roast does not produce great espresso pulls. More specifically, I find that espresso flavor is enhanced considerably when I load the beans at 350F or higher. That discovery lead me to propose another mod called "Cracking the 165F Barrier".

Zhensley, if your intention is to keep the Hottop very hot (above 165F) in order to load the next batch of greens at a high temperature, then there would be no need to consider "Adding a Cooling Fan Switch"; that mod would simply work against the "Cracking the 165F Barrier" mod.

On the other hand, if the Hottop has NOT been powered down, and your intention is simply to activate the Bean Cooling Fan, then you may simply use the FAN SPEED function of the front Control Panel of the Hottop to turn both cooling Fans ON.

Ciel
ciel-007 attached the following image:
panel_with_advanced_mod_switches_2.jpg

Edited by ciel-007 on 07/25/2014 9:46 AM
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
zhensley
Thank you for following up. My intention is to be able to turn on both the agitator and the fan in the agitating tray that cools the roasted beans, while beginning the next roast (without the main roaster fan running).

I guess I don't understand the way the circuit works. If the main roaster fan (back side of the roaster) can operate independently of the roaster in the cooling tray, can the roaster in the cooling tray not likewise be operated separate from the main roaster?

Does that make sense?
zhensley
I can't edit above, so I will edit here:

zhensley wrote:

Thank you for following up. My intention is to be able to turn on both the agitator and the fan in the agitating tray that cools the roasted beans, while beginning the next roast (without the main roaster fan running).

I guess I don't understand the way the circuit works. If the main roaster fan (back side of the roaster) can operate independently of the roaster in the cooling tray, can the fan in the cooling tray not likewise be operated separate from the main fan?

Does that make sense?
ciel-007

ciel-007 wrote:

...On the other hand, if the Hottop has NOT been powered down, and your intention is to activate the Bean Cooling Fan, then you may simply use the FAN SPEED function of the front Control Panel of the Hottop to turn both cooling Fans ON...

zhensley wrote:

... My intention is to be able to turn on both the agitator and the fan in the agitating tray that cools the roasted beans, while beginning the next roast (without the main roaster fan running)...

In order to turn ON the bean agitator at will, I recommend adding a "man-TRAY-Auto" switch (see "Manually Activating Bean Agitation in the Cooling Tray" mod).
http://homeroaste...post_40020

The fact that both cooling fans actually work together, when using the FAN SPEED function located on the front Control Panel of the Hottop, has never been detrimental for the quality of my pulls. You might consider trying a few roasts with both fans running in unison, given that would be the simplest way to proceed. However, should that yield unsatisfactory roasts, perhaps you might then consider experimenting further by introducing a diode in the Hottop's circuitry in a manner akin to RAG's mod.

Ciel
IntrepidQ3

ciel-007 wrote:

Photos of the 2K Control Panels & Cables

It is likely that some of the above mods for the older B and P Hottops may not work as originally intended on the newer roasters. In order to help identify which mods might possibly require some tweaking, additional information about the 2K roasters would be appreciated.

Would it be possible for the owner of a KN-8828P-2K and the owner of a KN-8828B-2K roaster to post photos of the back of their Control Panel (including the Main Control Cable, the Chaff Tray Safety Switch Cable, and K Thermocouple Cable)?

Ciel

Here are the photos that have been requested. I have a the B-2K model. I also attached a photo of the inside of the drum just to show the difference of the HT TC from the older models that have been posted here.

I am interested in figuring out how to break the 165F barrier with the B-2K, but am hesitant due to my lack of experience with electronics. If someone would be so kind to guide me through one of Ciel's or Jim's experimental ideas (short circuit method). I would be happy to attempt to throw it together and post pictures along the way.
IntrepidQ3 attached the following image:
20140906_183901_copy.jpg
IntrepidQ3
Here are the other two pictures that I was having trouble attaching to my previous post.
IntrepidQ3 attached the following images:
20140907_121409_copy.jpg 20140907_134825_copy_2.jpg

Edited by IntrepidQ3 on 09/07/2014 1:16 PM
ginny
ask for help, what is the issue with posting???

ginny
ciel-007

IntrepidQ3 wrote:

ciel-007 wrote:

It is likely that some of the above mods for the older B and P Hottops may not work as originally intended on the newer roasters...
Would it be possible for the owner of a KN-8828P-2K and the owner of a KN-8828B-2K roaster to post photos of the back of their Control Panel (including the Main Control Cable, the Chaff Tray Safety Switch Cable, and K Thermocouple Cable)?

Here are the photos that have been requested. I have a the B-2K model.

Intrepid, thank you for posting photos of the Control Panel and Cables on your B-2K Hottop. That's much appreciated. I'm sure that they will prove helpful to some of the more adventurous owners of the newer Hottops.

Ciel
ellensen
Hi!
I'm a new user on this board and new to coffee roasting.
I have bought a 2k+ hottop and am very satisfied with it. Particularly when connecting and controlling it from Artisan where most of the mentioned annoyances in this thread are solved.

For example the cooling cycle is completely disabled when controlled with artisan, enabling back to back roasts. I have read in this thread that if cooling with the back filter and bean chute cover removed there should not be any temperature build up.

Has anyone practical experience with doing back to back roasts with a hottop and found any damaging consequences to the machine?
turtle

ellensen wrote:

Hi!

Has anyone practical experience with doing back to back roasts with a hottop and found any damaging consequences to the machine?

Welcome to HRO welcome2

I've not damaged mine so far with back to back roasts but I am still working on it
BBQ grill
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
cobill

IntrepidQ3 wrote:

ciel-007 wrote:

It is likely that some of the above mods for the older B and P Hottops may not work as originally intended on the newer roasters. In order to help identify which mods might possibly require some tweaking, additional information about the 2K roasters would be appreciated.

Ciel

Here are the photos that have been requested. I have a the B-2K model. I also attached a photo of the inside of the drum just to show the difference of the HT TC from the older models that have been posted here.

I am interested in figuring out how to break the 165F barrier with the B-2K, but am hesitant due to my lack of experience with electronics. If someone would be so kind to guide me through one of Ciel's or Jim's experimental ideas (short circuit method). I would be happy to attempt to throw it together and post pictures along the way.

I just purchased the B-2K+ upgrade kit and would like to do the 165F switch mod. Has anyone completed the mod successfully and what switch did they use? Thanks,

Bill
ciel-007

cobill wrote:

IntrepidQ3 wrote:

ciel-007 wrote:

Ciel

I am interested in figuring out how to break the 165F barrier with the B-2K, but am hesitant due to my lack of experience with electronics.

I just purchased the B-2K+ upgrade kit and would like to do the 165F switch mod. Has anyone completed the mod successfully and what switch did they use? Thanks,

Bill

Bill, have you looked at my earlier post called “Cracking the “165F Barrier”: A FOLLOW-UP?

https://forum.hom...post_50672

That post sheds light on the “open circuit” vs “short circuit methods” on the subject. We know from experience that the “open circuit” method works very well on the older B and P Hottop models.

JimG kindly shared his expert knowledge of the newer B-2K and P-2K models. If I understand Jim correctly, he is suggesting that a momentary “short circuit” between the two wires coming from the K probe sensor would likely have the effect you desire to crack the 165F barrier on more recent models.

Bill, if we assume that the B-2K and B-2K+ models share a similar K probe circuit, you might consider trying JimG’s “short circuit” method to crack the 165F barrier on your roaster.

Fern
Jump to Forum: