Print Thread
Enhancing My HotTop (5 of 5) ? Advanced Modifications
smico
I installed manual fan switch, with slight modification: in manual mode fan is connected to external power source. This adds more wires, but it gives me more room for play as it's completely independent circuit.

I changed my roasting routine:
1. Roast
2. Eject
3. Fan on manual, take the filter out
4. Take the beans to external cooler
(At this point temperatures of both drum motor and electronics are shooting up as selenoid keeps the bean eject door on the back wall open, and heat easily leaks behind the backwall).
4. Press POWER on HT display as soon as it shows up - power the HT off.
(Temperature of the motor now changes at rate of -4C per minute, which allows for 7 minutes cool down to bring the motor under 60C)
5. Prepare the HT for the next session: vacuum the chaff, save log, load template for the next roast
6. 7 minutes after end of previous roast, set fan to auto and start new roast.

13 minutes roasting and 7 minutes cooling allow almost 3 roasts per hour.
My goal is close to 4 roasts per hour.

Miroslav
Hottop B2 + HTC, Cremina 83, OE Pharos, Brewtus IIIR, Baratza Vario

snwcmpr
What do you do with all this coffee you are roasting?
My wife and I use 60 grams per day, maybe an extra cup later in the day.
That is 3.5 days per 1/2 pound of green beans.
If I do 3 roasts in a day, that's a week + of coffee.

But, thanks so much for all this information. It really is worthwhile in my 'newbee' opinion.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

smico

snwcmpr wrote:

Friends, family, hair-dresser, co-workers... Once they try it, they are hooked. We have similar personal consumption: between 60 - 100 grams a day.

smico

smico wrote:

snwcmpr wrote:

Friends, family, hair-dresser, co-workers... Once they try it, they are hooked. We have similar personal consumption: between 60 - 100 grams a day.
And I buy coffee at Green Coffee Buying Club. Grat people, great coffees, but dangerous place for green stash growth. I linger around 200 lbs of some 50 varieties of coffees.
That is why I am looking to do additional advanced modification and install higher fins in my Hottop to be able to roast 300 g.
Anyone installed higher fins in HT?
Miroslav

ciel-007

smico wrote:

... I am looking to do additional advanced modification and install higher fins in my Hottop to be able to roast 300 g. Anyone installed higher fins in HT?

I regularly roast 300 gram batches with unmodified fins. That yields around 2 lbs of great coffee in about an hour.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

snwcmpr
Ciel,
Could you send me a profile of the roast of a 300 gram batch?
My roasts that large took so long, it was baked, so i just do 225 grams.
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

ciel-007

snwcmpr wrote:

... could you send me a profile of the roast of a 300 gram batch?...

Ken, check your PMs. Happy roasting! Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

PhluX

ciel-007 wrote:

Cracking the ?165F Barrier?:

When Might Breaking the ?428F Ceiling? be Useful?

I just did the "Cracking the ?165F Barrier?" mod.
Thanks for making me aware of this solution. I can now roast a new batch immediately after the beans have cooled and no longer have to wait ca. 5 minutes for the chamber to cool. Very much appreciated.

I installed a flick switch for the mod and have tried the "Breaking the ?428F Ceiling? as described above. What I find is that when I turn off the temperature sensor for more than about 2-3 seconds the beans eject. So for my Hottop this mod is not available. I have the Hottop KN8828B-2.

I am happy with this mod anyway, as "Cracking the ?165F Barrier?" was my primary target. Just wanted to let you all know that the Hottop KN8828B-2 is not succesfull with the "Breaking the ?428F Ceiling?" mod :)

smico

PhluX wrote:
I can now roast a new batch immediately after the beans have cooled and no longer have to wait ca. 5 minutes for the chamber to cool. Very much appreciated.

PhluX,
You might want to be careful with drum motor as its temperature will build up and go over 100C after just few back-to-back roasts.
Please let me know if you need more info, but if you read complete thread you can see some mods, or roasting routines that will help to avoid buildup.
Cheers,
Miroslav

farmroast
A fin modification is quite beneficial.
see this and the related thread.
http://www.home-b...n%20hottop
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

smico
I would add two things to the list of mods to make your HT perfect:
1. Variac
2. Kill-a-watt

I bought TECHNIPOWER VARIAC W30. I can keep voltage constant, and profiles track perfectly every time.

ciel-007

smico wrote:

... I would add two things to the list of mods to make your HT perfect:
1. Variac, 2. Kill-a-watt ...

Miroslav, thanks for sharing; I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the added control provided by the Variac and the K-W. It's hard for me to imagine that there's a better "home" roaster out there than the HT. However, in my opinion, the HT continues to fall short of the mark as the "perfect" roaster.

In recent months, I have been experimenting with yet another modification that may possibly help nudge the HT closer to "Perfection". I have been attempting to resolve a fundamental design flaw in the HT. I consider my current experiment to be an "Extreme Mod", and I have tentatively called it the "RAF-1". I look forward to sharing my test results here at HRO... as soon as they reveal some evidence of success.

Ciel

snwcmpr
Hint, Hint, Hint!!!!!
Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

rlb2444
Ditto to the benefits of adding a Variac and Kill-a-watt. I also have thermocouples measuring bean and environmental temps. I have roasted as much as 10 oz but prefer to be around 9 oz. The weakest part of the HT in my opinion is the distribution of chaff throughout the roaster. I use a high pressure blower after a half dozen roasts and clean as best I can after each roasting session.

Another thing that I use is a fan over the bean drop hole to speed up the cooling time between roasts. If I cut it off at around 161 by the time I insert the chaff tray and cover the bean drop opening it will go into pre heat. A minute or so the buzzer goes off and the timer starts counting down.

While not perfect it works well for me. Looking forward to a larger capacity one.
Faema Legend, Versalab, Robur-E, Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh, Hottop

smico
How about guess...
Fundamental HT flaw is that exaust air heats motor.
Are you moving drum motor or fan to the front. Or taking out the motor with flexible shaft.

snwcmpr

Fundamental HT flaw is that exhaust air heats motor.
And leaves residue on the motor, too.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

smico
I wrapped motor with thin silicone baking sheet.
I had limited success, but heat buid was much slower. The same for cooling of the motor.

snwcmpr
I agree with you Ginny. I have only modified mine to have a Bean Temp Probe.
As to the cleaning, the smoke on the motor is part of the cleaning. I don't know much about other machines, but the exhaust fan blowing across the motor seems a flaw to me.

Humbly by a newbee,
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Randy G
Present models of the Hottop have vent slots in the rear cover (It is a relatively new modification. Whether that prolongs component life remains to be seen. From my experience, the heat affects the gear box on the motor and not the motor itself. To help that situation it is important to be sure that the drum moves freely and does not rub on the front or rear roast chamber areas causing added stress to the reduction gears.

The silicone insulation may help, but a good amount of heat energy may be conducted through the shaft-coupling and through the cover of the gear box that faces the roast chamber. I would try insulating just that cover. Remember that insulation will also hold IN heat so I would not cover the entire motor.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

smico
Randy,
Good point about heat of the gear box.

My enclosure was like a sleeve all around the motor, not covering the motor's own air vents of course.
And indeed, I could do two consecutive back to back roasts from the cool roaster, but later on I would end up needing similar time between roasts compared to the naked motor due to less efficiency of the cooling.
Still, it was beneficial modification due to lower max temperatures.

I removed the cover and started working on almost complete three sided silicone cover, and a tiny Teflon tube to supply fresh air for cooling within the enclosure with an old aquarium bubbler.

I have few other ideas in my sleeves, but Ciel is not telling us much here... I hope that he is currently working on the related project...

Cheers,

Miroslav

snwcmpr
Thanks Ginny.
Like I said, all I have is a bean probe. I have hearing loss, so I rely on the temp.
I measure (weigh) my beans for brewing, but that's about it. That gives me repeatability.
I will say ... all I know about roasting, what little I do know, 90% I got here.
Thanks,
Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Barrie

ginny wrote:

I do not believe you need to mod the hell out of a roaster to get a great bean to brew.

party

Your point is well taken, Ginny, but there is a whole group of people who both enjoy coffee that they have brewed, and enjoy fiddling with machines and electronics. I don't think they are mutually exclusive but, then, perhaps that is what you just said. coffee drink
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ginny
Barrie:

There is nothing wrong with mods on anything, period. We have this site for anyone to post up their mods to help other users do the same...

I am/was only suggesting that simply out of the box the Hot Top is a great little roaster.

ginny

greenman
Edited by ginny on 11/16/2013 12:14 PM

RAG

ginny wrote:
I am was only suggesting that simply out of the box the Hot Top is a great little roaster.

ginny

First and foremost I have to agree with ginny.

Couple of things.
The RAF mod is first. Not only does this prolong hottop life, it adds control to the roast process. Fan to heat control in FC becomes tweakable and more immediate along with the added benefit of removing heat, chaf, and goo from the electronics area.

I added an insulated firewall to further isolate the chamber heat from the roaster internals (not sure this was needed).

I added a diode just after the bean cooling fan so that I can switch the fan and bean rotor motor on without activating the main fan, but still allow the normal design function of both fans being on the same circuit for normal operation.
So now I have a switch that turns on only the bean fan and motor by grounding the yellow wire (U2p5) and the bean tray fan. Normal operation is whenever the main unit fan is off, the bean tray fan is off. I figured if doing back to back, I may want to cool beans, while not activating main chamber fan.

The 165 override I did with a DPDT switch between the regular thermocouple and some left over thermo wire I used to make a junction to monitor the motor area.
This provides a very dangerous heater on switch. It also allows roasting to any level and a hard on heater at any point in the roast cycle, while monitoring internal temperatures.

So roasting and these mods are not for the faint of heart.

Thanks Ciel and others for the motivation.

snwcmpr
Well, some people drive cars the way they are made. If they don't like them, they get another one.
Others modify the car to make it what they want.
No right or wrong, just different.
All I did was add a temp probe to the HT. When I got another roaster, that I like better, I put the HT on the shelf.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Jump to Forum: