Total Members: 7,595
Newest Member: shdixon

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Control Panel LCD Failure
Ash
Hi Folks,

I've had the LCD display on my control panel fail, twice in the last month. I think this is a bit to much for coincidence, so I'm thinking that something else is at fault. The roaster has run faultlessly for the best part of three years before this recent double failure.

A bit of history, a month or so ago, I was doing some consecutive roasts (about 40 mins between roasts) and after the previous roast the roaster had switched itself off as per normal. I pressed the power button, expecting to see the LCD light up and roast as normal. However the backlight to the panel was the only thing to come on, light wise.

The roaster still beeped as normal. Thinking this was strange I switched of the mains and rebooted. The same happened again. Next I attempted to start the machine as per normal. My BT probe registered a temperature rise, the heating element got warmer and the drum rotated as normal, indicating to me that everything else functioned normally.

Just to be sure, I then pulled it apart and followed the trouble shooting info on the Hottop.usa site. The element and fusible link are all okay.

Ordered a new panel from my local supplier (I'm in Australia BTW 240V). Installed it and was back into roasting happily until the most recent failure, with the same symptoms.

First up, could anyone out there give me a guide to pushing the appropriate buttons to set up the machine for max time and temp (in degrees C) and starting the machine, followed by cancelling the auto fan, initiating manual fan control (25%) then reducing temps? I'm looking at getting the HCT mod in the near future, and this combination of buttons will at least get me on the way to getting a basic roast loaded up.

Second, could this fault be a result of the mainboard in the machine sending a bad signal/current/ergoelectric thingamejig to the control panel causing it fail prematurely? If so how could I test for this? I do have adigital multimeter which I can use, but I'm not an electronics or electrical genius. If I knew what to test for and how to test I would be able to supply results quite happily.

Sorry for the big post, but I'd rather know the fault before going and spending lots of money only to have the same fault reappear down the track!

Ash

Jump to Forum: