Print Thread
How long to Rest...
MichaelK
I'm a newbie who understands that coffee needs to "rest" for a few days before grinding and brewing.

By rest, does that mean uncovered for at least 48 hours? I know different beans maybe require more or less rest but I need one thing clarified:

Is resting purely on how long the beans are being exposed to oxygen?

Or, is it how long it is exposed to oxygen, then in an airtight container before grinding and brewing?

I am currently leaving my last roast exposed to air for 48 hours before shutting the airtight canister.

Thoughts?

jkoll42
Resting starts from the time you roast. You want to get them into sealed containers as soon as they are cool. Oxygen oxidizes the flavor compounds in the beans so leaving them out is not a good idea (although I have accidentally done it before and it's not a huge deal).

I use canning jars and leave the lids on but not tight the first night and then tighten them down the next day. The offgassing CO2 displaces much of the 02 in the jars which is a good thing.

Hope this helps

-Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

MichaelK
So "degassing" is not the same as "resting" ?

Is degassing just to let the initial burst of C02 out for about 12-24 hours? And is resting just a certain amount of time the coffee sits in an air tight container?

So lets say you keep the container cracked open a bit over night, then you close it tight...after how many days after the roast do you prefer to let the coffee "rest" before you grind, brew and enjoy?

jkoll42
Degassing is something that happens during resting but some people use the words to mean the same thing. Usually 3 days or so for single origin and 4 for espresso blends. Monsooned longer.

That's my preperence, but usually I forget to roast until the day before I run out of coffee so it gets 12 hours rest. Grin

The one exception for me is dry process ethiopian. I like to drink them starting the next day. I find the biggest fruit bomb is the first couple of days and then it balances out to a rounded cup as it rests a few days.

-Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

MichaelK
Thanks. So maybe I shouldn't keep my canister cracked for 48 hours. Maybe I'll keep it open for 12 then wait a total of 3 days after the roast to drink.

I'm on a journey to make that perfect cup.

jkoll42
What container are you using
-Jon

MichaelK
I am using black porcelain canisters that have the airtight lock thing on the side.

jkoll42
If I am thinking of the right container I would leave it ajar for a few hours, then clamp it. Just barely lift up the latching lever each day to 'burp' the gas and you should be good to go.
-Jon

Jump to Forum: