renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Carbon monoxide
Rubens
I've noticed that all the solid drum roasters I've seen here (and not only here) have only one exhaust exit, where the natural gas combustion gasses and the coffee roasting smokes mix together and exit.

I'm trying to understand what is the "secret" design that prevents carbon monoxide (a residual gas produced during the natural gas combustion) to get in touch with the coffee during the roasting process.

In my simple mind I thought that every roasters that has the flame just below the roasting chamber needs to have a separate exhaust exit for the combustion, and one for the coffee smokes....but none of the commercial roasters I've seen have 2 exhaust channels, they all have just 1.

Thank you for your helps. Images are welcome :-)

Dan
Rubens, you seem to be operating under the premise that CO is somehow detrimental to roasting coffee beans (and eventually their human consumption). What's the basis for that concern? I don't know of any.

The same condition exists on a gas range or gas grill, a little CO is present around the food being cooked. Frankly, I'd be more worried about the food than coffee beans. Food is wet and CO is soluble in water.

I don't think there's much of a hazard with roasting coffee beans. Here's why. All during the roasting process some solvent is boiling off within the bean producing internal pressure greater than atomspheric pressure. This would act to prevent CO from entering the cellular structure, and hence its absorption. Also, during resting CO2 is outgassing, which to me means that CO would also outgas. Or am I missing something?

Natural gas produces 40 parts per million CO during combustion, which is very low.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

Ringo
A clean burning gas fire makes very little carbon monoxide. I run boilers for a day job and our object in setting burners is to got the co2 as high as possible and co "carbon monoxide" as low as possible. A smoky fire will have lot of co and very little co2 and the coffee would get a crappy flavor. I am no engineer but I stayed at holliday inn last night. If you have good a clean blue fire you will have almost no carbon monoxide. When carbon burnes it's going to make either co or co2. Give it all the air it needs and it will be mostly co.
Edited by Ringo on 12/24/2012 10:12 AM
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Ringo
Double post sorry
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Jump to Forum: