Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Throttling With a Router Speed Control
thusband
So I've done a about four roasts with my Poppery 1 but am nowhere near the 4-4-4 roast. I'm done in less than 7 minutes.

Today I rewired so the fan stays on and also started using a 25' extension cord. Tomorrow I'll try switching the heat off and on in an effort to extend the roast.

Maybe a router speed control would help but I have a question on that. The Poppery 1 is plugged into the speed control which is plugged into the wall socket right? Adjusting the speed control will lower the heat but won't it also lower the fan speed? I'm not sure I want that.

Many thanks.

allenb

thusband wrote:

So I've done a about four roasts with my Poppery 1 but am nowhere near the 4-4-4 roast. I'm done in less than 7 minutes.

Today I rewired so the fan stays on and also started using a 25' extension cord. Tomorrow I'll try switching the heat off and on in an effort to extend the roast.

Maybe a router speed control would help but I have a question on that. The Poppery 1 is plugged into the speed control which is plugged into the wall socket right? Adjusting the speed control will lower the heat but won't it also lower the fan speed? I'm not sure I want that.

Many thanks.

Tom, big welcome to HRO! You're heading in the right direction with adding control.

Hang on for a short bit and some of our popper experts will lend a hand.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

snwcmpr
Welcome to the group.

The fan is separate from the heat after the mod. The fan can stay on with the heat adjusted.

I have my fan using the original switch. And the heat is wired to a separate power source.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

thusband
Thanks for the welcomes. I'm not sure I follow. The mod I made was moving the fan terminal so it doesn't go through the on/off switch. I haven't changed the heat connection. I think you're saying the heat connection has to be separate too and not through the on/off switch right? I haven't come across a mod tutorial for that.

JimH
I'm not completely sure what you have done so far. If you just moved the fan connection from after the switch to before the switch, then you didn't get much benefit and a router speed controller will affect the fan speed. If you give the fan its own power source by running another cord then you could run it through a dimmer switch, giving you a power switch and adjustable fan speed. Then using a router speed control will be a good way to adjust heater power, as the fan will be on another circuit.

oldgearhead
Tom,
Welcome and nice camera..
No oil on my beans...

thusband

JimH wrote:

I'm not completely sure what you have done so far. If you just moved the fan connection from after the switch to before the switch, then you didn't get much benefit and a router speed controller will affect the fan speed. If you give the fan its own power source by running another cord then you could run it through a dimmer switch, giving you a power switch and adjustable fan speed. Then using a router speed control will be a good way to adjust heater power, as the fan will be on another circuit.

Right, I just moved the fan connection to before the switch. You confirmed my thinking. I need two power sources, one for the fan and another for the heat.

Thanks all for the help. This is a great forum.

snwcmpr
When you are looking for websites about the mods. The Poppery I and II are different.
I think the Poppery II uses a 12 vdc fan. so a transformer is included somewhere.
I know you said you have a I, but I said that for clarification of your internet search.

Seems I found the instructions for my mod on this forum, but didn't save where I got it. I used wire nuts to connect the heat to another cord. The only trouble I had was getting my fat fingers into the space where the heat wires ended to attach the cord.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

yamhill
Separate heat and air controls gives a lot of flexibility. I'm currently running a 72000 popper which I believe is similar to your model. Just for clarity, mine has an AC blower motor. I run power to the heat coils through a router controller. I run power to the fan through a dimmer switch. A router speed controller would work for the fan too, but a dimmer switch was on-hand and a little cheaper.

Basically I used the popper's plug on the heater side. I wired an old lamp cord to the motor. I wired a dimmer to a cord and a plug. I plug the fan cord into the dimmer plug, and the dimmer's plug goes to a power strip. The heater coil cord goes to the router controller, and the router controller's plug goes to the power strip. Sorry I don't have a picture handy.

I can conservatively run 130g of green beans with this setup to a 4-4-4 profile.

If you have a DC fan motor, and want separate fan control, you need the right transformer in the circuit between the dimmer and the motor.

John
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.

snwcmpr
A dimmer won't work for the heat. The wattage is higher than a dimmer is rated for. My dimmer I got was 600 watts. I may put it into the fan circuit, but that's a maybe. The heat takes almost all of the 1500 watts.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

thusband
Eventually I think I'll settle on the dimmer switch for the fan and a router controller for the heat. I also might attach all this stuff to a platform of some kind (thick plywood perhaps) so I have easy access to all the components.

Again, thanks for all the help!

allenb

thusband wrote:

Eventually I think I'll settle on the dimmer switch for the fan and a router controller for the heat. I also might attach all this stuff to a platform of some kind (thick plywood perhaps) so I have easy access to all the components.

Again, thanks for all the help!

If you're not in a huge hurry please post your final proposed wiring layout or describe it before you fire it up. I've seen a few different versions of the transformer/dimmer to fan for air control.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

thusband
Good idea, Allen, as I'm not too sure about the wiring.

Joe Bean
You might consider mounting your router speed controller to a metal plate or similar heat sink. It can get very hot, and will last longer if kept cooler.

JB

thusband

Joe Bean wrote:

You might consider mounting your router speed controller to a metal plate or similar heat sink. It can get very hot, and will last longer if kept cooler.

JB

Good idea. I think I'll go with this one http://goo.gl/eaSu9 or one of these http://goo.gl/fHZ5s. Is 15 Amps adequate or would 20 be better?

thusband
So I went with this controller, http://goo.gl/eaSu9, and now have two circuits. one for the fan and one for the heat through the controller. I notice, though, that the plug coming out of the controller to the roaster gets very hot. Almost too hot to touch. The controller itself stays cool. I used the cord that originally ran both the heater and the fan. I don't understand why the new setup is getting hot when before it was running both circuits and it just got a bit warm. Any ideas?

Here's a photo of the setup:
http://imgur.com/OpZ74B8

snwcmpr
Update:
Last April I gave my modified popper to my wife's niece. She has started to use it this month and is so surprised of the taste difference between it and the un-modified poppers she currently used.
One she mentioned is the PNG that had no taste with her popper, but the modified popper did the job, and produced wonderful taste.

Thanks to all here,
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Jump to Forum: