Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Auto data logging and control for dummies?
Barrie
My background extends to having built Heathkit radios from kits, as well as my own desktop computers. I do not have a workshop and related tools - or metalwork skills.
When my new HT arrives later in the week, I know I will be thinking about automating the data collection and, if possible the controls, Is there anywhere to which someone can point me that describes the basics involved? What are the pros and cons of going with one set of hardware/software versus another?
I gather that it would take a thermocouple with K-type connection, some sort of interface and either Wi-fi or direct connection to a computer with the appropriate software? I prefer a PC. So much for logging. Despite the PC preference, I have been using Roastmaster with an iPad for all my roasted-related data, including roast landmarks, beans inventory, and cupping info. The program draws very pretty curves, and the author has just added automated logging via specifically recommended hardware. What about controlling the HT?
http://rainfroginc.com/documentation/what-is-data-logging/.

I know there is hardware recommended for the HT, but perhaps not the same.
Now, I would like to read about all this HT-appropriate automation somewhere. Does such one-stop shopping exist?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ginny
Barrie:

there is no "one stop shop." you gotta do what we all have done and look around the internet, coffee sites and yes, here for ideas to connect your HT to a data logger.

I have moved this tread to the correct forum for discussion. This is the only place on HRO for complete information on data logging.

Take a minute to look here in this forum for ideas on hardware/software ideas for data logging your HT.

I know that others will guide you in this quest.

ginny

greenman

oldgearhead
Well I would just dig out the old A/B SLC 504 I have buried here someplace and do it. But I would suggest to you the TC4 forum..

http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewforum.php?forum_id=133
No oil on my beans...

ginny
same channel ogh, it all lives there to sort through. there is no specific Hot Top one call does all forum/chat/website that I am aware of...

please correct me if I am wrong. we all sort through the same stuff and try to make it a bit easier for all.

the forum I listed has all of the data logging we have, it includes TC4 and all the rest we have for data logging. I am not trying to be egregious but we do have it in on place but it is not a one stop shop...

we frankly try to keep it in one place for all to find.

if I send a member to the TC4 thread only, they may not see all of the other data logging stuff we have; many members go to an open thread, a thread to a specific item and never see all of the other information because of the way they click through.

my job is to help members find the big picture for their search...

ginny

party
Edited by ginny on 03/25/2013 5:56 PM

oldgearhead
Sorry, too much coffee...
No oil on my beans...

Barrie
Here is the sort of thing I was looking for. A start, anyway, but not sufficient information.
http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/choosing-thermometry-equipment-for-home-roasting-t18278.html
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Jump to Forum: