Print Thread
Ugh! Grinder waiting for parts..
oldgearhead
This has been a very trying week. My trusty Virtuoso has a problem and because I'm too cheap to spend $35.00 to ship $30.00 worth of parts,
I must wait several days while Big Brown winds it's way to Indy from the Great Northwest.

First thought - No big deal I'll just pick up some R&G at the supermarket and we will muddle through. Wrong! I should have been warned by the $3.00 off (did I say I was cheap) price. The stuff I bought, also from the Great Northwest by-the-way, must be approaching it's 6th birthday and it tastes exactly like burning rubber.

Second thought - Just take a jar of bean to the locally-owned coffee shop and have it ground there. I probably should mention I usually avoid the place because the "fresh-roasted" beans I've purchased there have been at least six weeks old and dripping with rancid oil. Oh well any port in a storm.

The nice lady at the coffee station, I can't spell baraista, was kind enough to grind my 350 grams of WP Kenya Kichwa Tembo, and I was headed home to brew some real coffee. Once at home, I put some 'bloom' water on the stove to heat, and opened the jar. Ugh, molasses?? Where is the melon-grape with the slight caramel flavor? My carefully roasted to 70 seconds past first crack Kenya has been turned into ground molasses!

Maybe next time I'll spend the extra money for second-day shipping, or at the very least service my grinder when I should...However I've discovered a scoop of the burned-rubber coffee will take the teeth-curling edge off the Kenya-molasses..
No oil on my beans...

ginny
take the beans to the grocery store and grind them...

easy.

-g

snwcmpr
Run some instant white rice through the grinder before grinding at the grocery store to remove any possible flavored coffee remnants.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

JETROASTER
Mortar and pestle....go Turkish for a few days! -Scott

oldgearhead
So today I took a jar of Ethiopia Coffin MC decaf to Starbucks. The experience was actually very pleasant. The barista opened my jar and couldn't seem to get enough of the fresh aroma. She ground the beans in a clean grinder and asked me a few questions about home roasting. When I explained the 'rule of 15' she wrote down the HRO url...
No oil on my beans...

Jump to Forum: