Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

02/27/2021 9:50 AM
Questions are best asked in the forum. The posts will last longer, and will be seen the most by members. After a few more posts in the Shoutbox, the post you made will no longer be seen.... maybe you could also introduce yourself and share a little.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

02/17/2021 1:47 AM
OldMan41, depends what is "a pot"... usually is more accurate to specify the brew ratio, instead grams of coffee. The most usual is 1:15, thus 40 grams for 600 ml of water. If the 100 grams are for one liter pot, then we are talking about 1:10 ratio.

Users Online
Guests Online: 10

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,040
Newest Member: Thelsegse
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1lb Fluidbed profile advice
allenb
Ok, I'm liking my new gas fired 1 lb asymmetrical but I haven't found the groove yet as to optimum profile. I'm getting real good results but not what I know these are capable of.

All of you seasoned 1lb and up fluidbed roasters please respond with your favorite time/temp profiles for a typical hard bean. Shock I'll worry about low-growns later.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
tamarian
My best profile for 1-2 lbs hard beans is pre-heat to 125C, charge and reach 120C in 1-2 minutes, 150C at 4 minutes. 3 minutes ramp till 5C degrees before first crack (183C in my case), then steady ROR till target, usually City+ at 206-210C in 3-4 minutes.

Basically a 4-4-4 for espresso, and 3.5-3.5-3 for beans that taste great with high acidity in espresso or for brewing.
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F
RoasterRob
Hi Allen

My target bean mass temps
3.5 min 135C /5 min -154/ 7 min -189 / 9 min - 211 / 11min - 225 / 12min -233

1st C at about 8.5 min, drop start of 2nd about 12min 233- 235 on my TC.

ROR of 14C/min from 150, 8C/min from just before 1st thru till 2nd.

Certainly notice with SHB they need to be pushed and if you don't get the heat into them from the start it's hard to get the ROR right thru the middle of the roast.
Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff
coffeeroastersclub
I do my profiles straight from Sweet Marias roasting chart page:
https://www.sweet...gree-roast

If you have enough heat and manual control you can hit the time/temp profiles on the money.

smoking

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
allenb
The differences from what I'm doing that stands out to me is more aggressiveness from start to yellow which I'm guessing is done in around 3.5 to 4 min. (Tamarian) and around 4.5 min (Rob).

More aggressiveness from yellow to first crack, 3 to 3.5 min (Tamarian)

The other difference I'm seeing is a longer stretch from first crack to finish compared to my typical so far.

So, for my next roast with the new fluidbed I'm going to pour more heat on early and get to yellow by at least 4.5 min, speed up yellow to first crack to a little under 4 min and then stretch first crack to finish to 3 min if I can gain enough control with my not so great propane reg.

I'll report back with results.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
allenb

coffeeroastersclub wrote:

If you have enough heat and manual control you can hit the time/temp profiles on the money.

smoking

Len

Len,

I re-visited Tom's chart and it looks like a classic drum drying phase but a more of a fluidbed aggressive yellow to first crack phase.

Are you taking around 6 min to yellow in your fluidbed?

Allen
RoasterRob
Are you guys talking about the temperatures and times next to the bean color chart as a profile?
Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff
allenb
That's the one I'm assuming Len is referring to. It's really more of a guideline for attaching a temp to a bean color and not a suggested profile.

Allen
coffeeroastersclub

allenb wrote:

coffeeroastersclub wrote:

smoking

Len

Len,

I re-visited Tom's chart and it looks like a classic drum drying phase but a more of a fluidbed aggressive yellow to first crack phase.

Are you taking around 6 min to yellow in your fluidbed?

Allen

Hello Allen. Regarding the 6 min to yellow in my fluid bed ... I don't know because I cannot see the beans! What I can say is that I can hit any temp and time point that Tom's manual says, on the money. I am giving some thought on being able to see the beans roasting, however since I have a very accurate bean mass temp probe it really is not a necessity other than a visual coolness factor.

Len

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
RoasterRob

allenb wrote:

That's the one I'm assuming Len is referring to. It's really more of a guideline for attaching a temp to a bean color and not a suggested profile.

Allen

That was my thought.

Rob
oldgearhead
I've been roasting with a one-pound, electric, fluid-bed roaster for almost 30 months now. Most of my roasts are 440 grams, and 12 minutes long.

I started roasting using a 4,4,4 profile with PV temperatures of 480F, 650F, and 600F. However, for the past 4 months I've modified that.

Allen snwcmpr, and JimH have mentioned 'fast finish'
on icantroast's 'popper' thread. I believe that may apply here.

For two years my 'first cracks' came very shortly after the 8 minute point in the roast clock. At that point I would always dial down the temperature and increase the air flow just a bit to hit a 1F/7 sec
ROR for the finial 4 minutes of the roast.

Recently, I've been roasting with a PVT of 518F
for the entire 12 minutes. This action delays first crack to the 10 minute point. Therefore, it's a 'fast finish' ,12-minute, profile. I simply turn down the air flow at 3 and 6 minutes, and turn it back up after first crack.

High-grown, wet-hulled, beans respond well with more 'fruity' flavor. I have some Rwanda- Mushonyi Washing Station/Lake Kivu in house and tomorrow I'll see if I can coax some'pear' flavor out of it...
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_0095_6.jpg

No oil on my beans...
Jump to Forum: