Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

09/28/2020 9:48 AM
Working on site improvements, bare with me. smoking

09/28/2020 8:58 AM
Where are the old themes ?!!! Shock

09/28/2020 12:46 AM
Made some changes, shoutbox was working without verification.

09/27/2020 2:53 PM
A lot of shoutbox spam attacks lately. roar

08/28/2020 7:15 PM
I have updated my signature and added links to the KKTO roaster build

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,750
Newest Member: MdMinar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 with Android and Bluetooth
greencardigan
I'm in the process of developing an app for Android phones that connects to a TC4 or TC4C with a cheap bluetooth dongle attached.

It still has a long way to go but is now at a stage where it's useable.

Currently it allows:
- complete wireless control of my roaster and TC4 running the aArtisanQ_PID code.
- wireless display of BT, BT rate of rise, ET, fan power and heater power.
- graphing of BT and ET

With future updates I hope to add:
- Logging of roasts to phone memory
- customizable control buttons
- Any other suggestions?

I'm happy to share the source code if anyone wants to play with it.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfl98DO8xwA[/video]
Edited by allenb on 07/02/2013 7:56 AM
happycat
Sounds very cool

Note that as this allows users to be remote from their roasters, the unintended consequence is potential safety issues. It would be very tempting for people to go to another room, a garage, outside, or even down the street. Blue tooth allows 30ft to 300ft range i think.

You may wish to consider a series of alarms related to the temps and some kind of emergency shutdown function within the TC4 artisan code.
greencardigan
I don't think this really poses any safety risk. Many roasters are already automated and adding a screen with temperature monitoring is likely to improve safety.
jedovaty
I would love to jump on this, however, EVERYTHING is working right now and I'm having a lot of fun roasting - my bt arduino works, my logger records BT, ET, MET, Fan voltage, etc. I didn't take good notes putting it all together, so not sure which one of my aBourbon sources is the right one for my arduino. :(
yamhill
That is very nice. Thanks for sharing the video. I'd love to have the source code. Do you have github or something similar set up for this?

If you have an old android phone around - or even a sub $100 tablet, this makes a very capable UI affordable.

Also, what are you using for the bluetooth on the arduino end?

John
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.
greencardigan
I haven't put it online yet but may add it to the tc4-shield repository on google code.

I'm using some very cheap bluetooth modules from eBay and DX. Like these. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JY-MCU-Blu...2a2bac65a4

Edit: I'm also using a cheap 5V to 3V level converter from ebay between the arduino and Bluetooth module.
Edited by greencardigan on 06/12/2013 10:25 PM
greencardigan
Here's a screenshot from my phone after this mornings roast.
greencardigan attached the following image:
screenshot_2013-06-14-08-20-19.png
JackH
Nice job on that program Brad!
greencardigan
The source code is now up on the TC4 Google Code page.

http://code.google.com/p/tc4-shield/d...pp_2_1.zip

http://code.google.com/p/tc4-shield/s...Fsrc%2FTC4
JackH
Hi Brad,

I originally thought of having my roaster with a dedicated logging device and a small screen built into the roaster. I tried the Raspberry PI and a small screen and it runs the Linux Roastlogger Java application and seems to keep up. But it still needs a keyboard and mouse for data entry and selection.

This is a much better solution since I have a unused smartphone and I like the touch feature (no keyboard or mouse).

I was wondering if you were able to get it to save roast logs in the device memory?

Thanks,
Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
Dan
This is a huge step forward in roasting monitor and control. All I need now is to add a roaster camera so I can watch the roast from my smartphone while catching up on movies. Or, watch a movie on my smartphone while roasting. :)
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.
JackH
In my case, I never meant to be remote roasting. I only wanted to have a simple roast monitor and logger built in to the roaster. I prefer to control the roaster manually. More fun that way.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
greencardigan
I haven't worked on the code for some time now although I use it in it's current form every roast now. I use it for semi-remote roasting. It allows me to sit away from the nasty exhaust while still being able to monitor and adjust the temps and bean movement.

I do intended to get it to save the logged data onto the phone memory in a csv format. I just haven't had a chance to try this yet. This is my first attempt at coding an android app it take many hours for me to implement new features. At this stage I just take a screen shot from the phone which is far from ideal but lets me see later what roast profile I used.
greencardigan attached the following image:
screenshot_2013-08-18-17-45-42.png
JackH
Thanks Brad. It will be a while before I get into it anyway. The screen shot is a good idea.

Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
Zoundguy
Reviving this guy, I am in the process of soldering up the tc4, and plan to use to use it as a PID for my espresso machine, however, I defer in the Bluetooth implementation, as my goal is to use my arduino yun for true long distant control. (Exmp. Turn it on when I'm out shopping with the wife, so it's warmed and ready to go the second I walk through the door)

Admittedly, I haven't really jumped into the code as of yet, but hypothetically, should it be as simple as removing the Bluetooth sketch code and replacing it with the WiFi on the arduino side? And on the android side then replacing Bluetooth connect info with a static IP? (Noip.com)? I'm hoping that once I get coding it'll become clear. Anything to watch out for? Curve balls I should expect?
Barrie
Since this was first posted I have acquired a much better smart phone and suddenly this becomes very interesting to me. What would it take to get this up and running for operating a Hottop? What happened to the logging plan?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
greencardigan

Zoundguy wrote:
Admittedly, I haven't really jumped into the code as of yet, but hypothetically, should it be as simple as removing the Bluetooth sketch code and replacing it with the WiFi on the arduino side? And on the android side then replacing Bluetooth connect info with a static IP? (Noip.com)? I'm hoping that once I get coding it'll become clear. Anything to watch out for? Curve balls I should expect?

I don't think it will be simple. There is no bluetooth code in the arduino sketch. The bluetooth dongle just attaches to the arduino's serial pins.

Also the android app is heavily bluetooth based. It would require big changes to get it doing wifi. It would be beyond me.
greencardigan

Barrie wrote:

Since this was first posted I have acquired a much better smart phone and suddenly this becomes very interesting to me. What would it take to get this up and running for operating a Hottop? What happened to the logging plan?

It just requires a suitable bluetooth dongle attached to the serial pins on the arduino/TC4. The bluetooth link simply replaces the USB connection.

I haven't done any development of the app lately but someone (can't remember if they were on HRO) took my code and added some basic logging functionality that saved the data to a text file on the phone. I haven't tested it yet and it don't have the source code yet.
Barrie

greencardigan wrote:

Barrie wrote:

It just requires a suitable bluetooth dongle attached to the serial pins on the arduino/TC4. The bluetooth link simply replaces the USB connection.

I haven't done any development of the app lately but someone (can't remember if they were on HRO) took my code and added some basic logging functionality that saved the data to a text file on the phone. I haven't tested it yet and it don't have the source code yet.

Thank you for that. I will see if I can chase it up. If I do, maybe I will get back to you for a little hand-holding with the dongle attachment?
It looks great.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
greencardigan
Barrie, here's the project where the modified app is being used.

http://www.cyberelectronics.org/?p=574

It should have the following modifications (I have not tested it yet). I don't like some of the added features but might add the basic logging code to the my code at some stage.

Crash solved and other functionalitys added.
Graph values will be displayed and CSV datas will be saved in memory automatically when you hit the Start Roast button.
While the TC4 app keeps running the TFT will stay ON.
New button appeared with FC Begin - FC End - SC Begin text. This will change the BTror value to 250 for the last string received, when the button pushed (Saved in csv file) Csv file will be saved when you hit the Stop Roast button. Everytime a new file will be created.
Roast date can be identified by file creation date.

There's a link to the source code on dropbox down the bottom. Or here's the link. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/umlbh83vy4...TSQ7gV_PaF
Jump to Forum: