Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 28

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Clover Brewer
Dan
Has anyone had coffee brewed from The Clover System? Apparently it uses vacuum. The company was purchased by StarBucks and is showing up in their stores. The big advantage seems to be one-cup-at-a-time freshness.

http://www.starbu...arn/clover

www.starbucks.com/assets/cddf0ca0ce0d48ca82fa5d9ee4d20232.jpg
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.
David
I have had coffee made with the Clover.
And I was also a Big Fan, briefly.

The first cup I had was in 2006 at a demo as part of the SCAA trade show in Charlotte, NC. Curious coffee folks (including a bunch Barista contest judges) crowded around as the Clover crew brewed up a small pitcher at a time. It was an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, back aound the beginning of the "Indido Misty Valley" days. Bob Yellen and I sampled it and had similar impressions, as I remember.

It was fascinating to watch. It has the cylinder as seen in the picutre above and a piston which starts about half way down.
On top of the piston is a very fine mesh screen. The coffee goes in and the hot water 204F pours directly on top of it. It steeps very briefly and then piston starts to go down. The screen stops at an intermediate point. The coffee is drawn through the fine screen and gets dispensed out a valve in the front.
Then the piston comes back up and pushes the grounds to the surface level. Sweep it off with a squeegee gizmo, and it is ready to go again. Hey, that's from memory several years back, so I might be misremembering some of it. Ia any case the machine was the darling of the Show.

The 2oz cup was both delicious (blueberry) and watery.
I ignored the weakness of the brew as I savored the brew.

Later on I realized that the weak brew was part of the package.
Nevertheless. the Clover had its day as a hot item in exclusive venues like Grand Central Terminal in NYC.

The Atlanta HUGS group got to spend an afternoon playing with a Clover the following year, IIRC. Still fascinating to watch, but bland, bland, bland. We tried dosing the measure up and up; extending the brew time to the recommended max, but it was still washed out. Tasty, but seriously imderextracted.
If we had had a shot of espressso first, we might not have tasted anything at all.

To add to the disappointment,the news was soon out that Charbucks was buying Clover, and instantly the romance was over. Clover was going to the Dark Side.

I would be curious to find out if the Clover's underextraction can improve Charbucks overroasted flavors.

pouring
David
Dan
Thanks, for the timeline, David. This seems to be old news, but I didn't find it discussed here. I wonder why it produces weak coffee? The old vacpots make great coffee. I can only guess the grounds don't steep long enough or stay hot enough.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.
Dan
In case anyone is curious, or want to make one of these yourself, the patent number is 7,673,555. The drawings show the complete brewing cycle step by step and it is just as David described. There are some valves and check valves involved, and there seems to be a clean water flush after every cup.
Dan
Has anyone else besides David had experience with this machine? I wonder if some haven't hit the used machine market by now? I don't see any on eBay.

www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/1608/mf_clover3_f.jpg
coffeeroastersclub
Dan, if you ever see one (very rare) the owners want an insane amount of money for them. They are basically a cult classic.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
boar_d_laze
Unexceptional.

Better results and more control with an ordinary vacuum brewer, such as a Cona, Royal, Asian made Royal-clone, or Yama.

The Yama is the most cost effective, the Cona the most elegant, and the Royal "balance siphon" the most dramatic and most automated (in an early 18th Century sort of way). Ours Royal is copper:
royalcoffeemaker.com.previewc40.carrierzone.com/newstore/images/PAGE3333.jpg

Cona, Royal-clones and Yama are available in sizes small enough to be considered "single serve." Our "eight cup" Royal can brew between 12 and 20 ounces of coffee.

BDL
Edited by boar_d_laze on 08/11/2013 11:23 AM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood
Dan
Sometime I want to see one work and take a look at its innards, too. I like the over-the-top automation aspect.

I keep meaning to buy a vacpot and add it to my repertoire, if only to make coffee when the electricity goes out.
snwcmpr
Bodum Santos is another vacpot.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
Dan
Thanks, I'll check it out.

up.picr.de/1994308.jpg
Jump to Forum: