Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,051
Newest Member: jimmyandrew
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Steam Whistle Roaster
ciscobob
Obviously its not really a steam whistle, but it looks like one. I used a lot of information the RoasterRob shared with me and on various public posts.

I am using a 1/4" thick SS 6.5" Diameter Pipe.

I had someone weld the RC so that I could have to angle.
The base had a Dust Collector Mounted to it and I used the Sievets Torch.
ciscobob
http://imgur.com/... not sure how to post a picture.

Here is the link.
Koffee Kosmo
Well done C Bob
Keep us in the loop
To post photos you need to go to the full reply box
Easiest way is to preview post
See at lower section choose file , small file size is important and no spaces to filenames use_ underscore if needed
Koffee Kosmo attached the following image:
image_15.jpg

I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
Dan
Very nice. It does look like a steam whistle. But your roaster is too refined to be called steam punk! What size roast?

What's the black plastic thing on top of your roaster? Just kidding. :)
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.
ciscobob
Right now it is roasting 600 grams. I need to drill more holes to boost the quantity, but SS eats up drill bits.

I know it has the air power and the heat to do more. I have been drilling 1/8" holes I wonder if I can go up a size.

Something seems to be a little off with my Thermocouple, when I hit 2nd crack the temp was reading 476 F and the probe is sitting in the middle of the beans. Could my thermocouple be that off?

i.imgur.com/DqGj7i5.jpg
coffeeroastersclub
Maybe you know, maybe you don't regarding SS bits: drill low RPM, not fast. That way you will not burn up the bits.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
allenb
I agree. With stainless I used to smoke bits till I went low rpm, applied a dab of oil (any will do) and went easy on the center punch. The center punch tends to do a little hardening if wacked too hard.

The BT sensor needs to be on the opposite side of the RC from the perf plate to be out of the air stream. Just make sure it can't contact the RC wall or you'll read low. I ended up running a hollow threaded tube (lamp tube) down from the chaff collector into the RC just above the beans to keep the TC from wandering all over the place. I could never get a consistent reading without it. Also, don't have the TC tip too far into the bean mass.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
Dan
Right. Heat from friction can harden SS, so keep it slow and keep it cool. All of my perf plates use 5/32" holes without any problem. You can increase your flow just by opening up your 1/8" holes and that'll be easy on your drill bit.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.
ciscobob
Thats good to know I am going to increase my hole diameter and see if that helps. I was also thinking of using the red high temp gasket silicon to seal the air leaks, do you think that could add any bad odors to the roast?

Another question, what air temp have you felt like was a good temp to shoot for? I had success with using 400 F, for 400 g, but when I upped the beans to 600g I needed to up the temp to a little over 500 to get to second crack.
RoasterRob
Drilling stainless - use oil and you need to keep the bit cutting, so press firmly. If you don't keep enough pressure on the bit then you get work hardening. I centre pop all holes firmly. With 2 good 1/8" bits I can drill 72 holes in about 30 minutes.

I think your problem is not holes that are too small it is lack of pressure. I have a blower similar to yours for cooling. It is IMO no use for blowing the beans around. I have built a 157mm ID (bout 6.3") RC that roasts 3kg of beans.
That blower would be lucky to have much more than 5"WC. A VC blower has a peak pressure of about 100" WC. I measure about 14 to 18" WC below the perf plate with green beans flowing up at about twice the bean bed height.
Green beans equal about 70% density of water. Allowing for slippage if you want your beans to spout to about 14" high in the RC you need about 14" WC under the perf plate (this is an approximation).

Rob
(I think that is about my rant # 321 about pressure, blowers etc)
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff
ciscobob

RoasterRob wrote:

I think your problem is not holes that are too small it is lack of pressure. I have a blower similar to yours for cooling. It is IMO no use for blowing the beans around. I have built a 157mm ID (bout 6.3") RC that roasts 3kg of beans.
That blower would be lucky to have much more than 5"WC. A VC blower has a peak pressure of about 100" WC. I measure about 14 to 18" WC below the perf plate with green beans flowing up at about twice the bean bed height.
Green beans equal about 70% density of water. Allowing for slippage if you want your beans to spout to about 14" high in the RC you need about 14" WC under the perf plate (this is an approximation).

Rob
(I think that is about my rant # 321 about pressure, blowers etc)

The "blower" I am using is a 1HP, 660 CFM dust collector. Do you think that really isnt enought? Also what is "WC"

http://www.harbor...31810.html
Dan
WC = inches of water colum, aka pressure. 1" of water column equals .0361 psi.

As RB says, its all about pressure, not volume. My spouting bed tests confirm this. For any given bean depth you need a certain pressure or force to lift it. Most blowers just don't have the pressure to do that. Most blower and fans are low-pressure/high-volume, while other sources, say compressors, are high-pressure/low-volume. What we need is medium-pressure/medium-volume. Very few devices fulfill that requirement.
ciscobob
how do you determine the pressure of a blower?
Dan
You need a manometer or pressure gauge. I have an electronic one. You could rig a manometer using a long, u-shaped piece of tubing filled with water. The difference between the two water colums in inches is your WC. See WikiPedia.
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/Utube.PNG/150px-Utube.PNG
ciscobob
so hypothetically I could hook up a low psi gauge towards the bottom of the perf plate and get a psi reading and convert to WC.

would it work to test just the airflow at the 4in opening? then use a little physics to determine what it would be at the 6in tube?
ciscobob
I feel fairly confident the blower has enough pressure, when I attach the RC to it, i can feel the pressure moving the RC around, until I get it secured. It might be just wishful thinking though.
RoasterRob
Yup thats the same blower I use for cooling. Just a different brand and 220V. Pressure is 6.2" WC.
I have tested this unit for blowing beans around. It was wishful thinking.
http://www.tradem...061938.htm

If you drill larger holes or a greater density of them you will end up with a more erratic bean flow.
You will also most probably be blowing more heat out the top.
Bean flow should look like this. This is about 2.3kg of green in a 6" (150mm) diameter RC.

More pressure through not too large holes gives a controllable smooth flow.
Your blower is about 660 cfm and 6" WC. A VC blower is typically 100 cfm and 100" WC. To move 600 grams of green would only take about 10 to 20 cfm at about 10 to 14" WC.
Your RC is the optimum diameter IMO for between 2 and 3kg of green which would have a bean bed depth of somewhere between 6 & 8". 600 grams would only be about 2.5 - 3" in this RC. This is also cause for inefficiency in heat transfer. Beans aren't in the airflow for long.

How are you controlling the airflow? A VC has a universal motor which can be controlled by a cheap triac type dimmer or a variac or a DC drive.

Anyway rant mode off.

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff
ciscobob
Dreams of a larger capacity crushed. Thanks Rob...
So what VC Blower are you using? Any suggestions?

PS. I was controlling the airflow by the size of air inlet since this type of motor could wear out with a dimmer.
ciscobob
How about this one?

I actually purchased this and thought that it wasn't going to work after I plugged it in. http://www.graing...ower-5DVZ6
oldgearhead
When I built my 'brewer-to-roaster' I had to drill and cut quite a bit of stainless steel. I found that real machine tool bits from McMaster-Carr were far better than the best the big box stores had to offer. Also, as already mentioned, use lots of oil...
No oil on my beans...
Jump to Forum: