04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,223
Newest Member: Paul Kalb

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Peaberry - Hyperbole or Heavenly?
Dan
What's the deal with peaberry's? Is this just marketing hype, or are they actually a superior bean? Can you taste the difference between flat bean and peaberry from the same farm or origin? I can't.

Dan
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

ginny
I believe it is simply a name for a grade/size of bean.

taste is another matter and is too individual; my guess is some can taste a difference while others cannot.

that is not a negative statement simply individual taste buds...

-g

Dan
Ginny, My understanding is that a peaberry is when there is just one bean in the cherry instead of the usual two, so it's not a grade or sizing difference. The notion that is being marketed is that since this is rare, it must be better or at least different tasting. My question isn't whether people have different tastes (of course they do), but rather can most people taste the difference and therefore the marketing claim is justified. If not, then its all hype.

www.jimseven.com/images/beans/peaberry.jpg
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

JETROASTER
I bought a lot of Tanzanian Peaberry early in the 2000s. My recollection is that the cherry formed this way at tip of the branches (not verified) .
I never compared it to the regular Tanzanian so I can't make that comparison. I can say for sure that I've never seen anything behave as well at very high roast levels.
I didn't find it to be much more expensive than the other Africans at the time, and it was very consistent.
Which peaberry are you considering? -Scott

coffeeroastersclub
The theory goes that you have all the flavor of 2 seeds (beans) packed into one. 1/2 the volume, all the flavor. I'm not much of a cupper, however I will say that of the beans I have had that were peaberry (tanzanian, columbian, and Kona), the peaberry versions were more "sparkly". Yeah, very sparkly.

Grin

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

boar_d_laze
Normal coffee beans are two seeds stuck together. Peaberry beans have a single seed.

Between sorting them out and sorting them again for grading, they get more sorting than typical beans. More sorting is usually a good thing. Also, because they're smaller and rounder they tend to roast more evenly. Also a good thing.

Big difference? Hard to say. You'd have to compare same source, "everything else being equal" regular and peaberry beans -- something I've never had an opportunity to do. I've drunk excellent peaberry coffee and mediocre coffee too. I've roasted some, but very little, and don't recall anything significant.

BDL
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

Jump to Forum: