Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What roaster is this?
Dan
This review mentions everything except the maker and model. Apparently, it is not made in the U.S. and only a few prototypes have been built. Has anyone seen it, used it, or heard anything about it? Dan

www.home-barista.com/forums/userpix/10463_img_1504.jpg

http://www.home-b...26617.html
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

jedovaty
Henry mentions it here :)
http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/cool-new-one-pound-gas-roaster-t26617-50.html

Santoker!

There are lots of roasters coming from China right now.

allenb
I want one!
I'll bet it's pretty expensive though as it looks to be built to last and very functional. I like the graduated air flow control bezel.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

boar_d_laze
As jedovaty said, it's a "Santoker."

The manufacturer's price, fob China, is currently around $2300 USD.

Dustin, who posts at H-B as dustin360, and perhaps belongs here as dustin351, expects to be the North American importer. The price isn't set yet, but is anticipated to be in the neighborhood of $2750 (fob a US port).

Dustin has a lot of experience with the roaster, has had a lot of input into its development, has plenty of roasting expertise of his own, and seems like an all around good guy. Even if you could buy it for a few bucks less by arranging for importation and shipping from China yourself, his expertise would make the difference well worth it.

Based on what Dustin and one other person (TomC) who has had a chance to play with it has said, it appears to be roughly in the same class as the Bela Mini 500, Yang Chia 800n, and TJ-067.

Perhaps, it should be mentioned that TomC says he plans to purchase a Victory 1 -- a 1kg roaster made in Florida, and which sells for about twice the price as the Santoker.

BDL
Edited by boar_d_laze on 08/19/2013 8:16 PM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

Dan
Thanks guys, and thanks for the updates, too. It looks like a good machine. What I don't like about it is its poor ergonomics. The controls are mounted on the side all the way at the back.

I took a look at the Roaster Authority website and they don't list a Victory 1. Is it in design?
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

boar_d_laze

I took a look at the Roaster Authority website and they don't list a Victory 1. Is it in design?
Apparently a built to order product not on the site. Here's a link to the thread on H-B which was my only source of information.

BDL
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

jedovaty
On ergonomics, I'm wondering if it's an east/west thing. The huky is pretty much best used sideways, as is the iMini500 and looks like this Santoker, too. Whereas, we here are more accustomed to going at the drum roaster from the front, ala San Franciscan, Diedrich, etc. Hmmm. It could also just simply be a size thing, the little ones are more prone to a sideways position.

Funny, when I read Santoker, I keep picturing my brother doing his Homer Simpson "mmmmm" impression when talking about Santoku Ramen found in mitsuwa marketplaces.. Grin

Dan
That's a good point, jeovaty. There are no controls on the right side, or is that the "back?"

jedovaty
My western perspective puts the "front" where the trier and open-door-eject-beans are located. The other side of that is the back (on my Huky that's where the drum motor lies), and I don't apply handedness to the two sides.

However, considering our choice of north is somewhat arbitrary and mostly relative, the answer might just depend on how much caffeine you've had. coffee drink

Dan
To confuse matters more, on commercial coffee grinders, the "back" is the side with the doser! The "front" is smooth except for the logo.

In my office I have a map of the world hung "upside down" to remind me that most of what we accept as true in the world is really quite arbitrary.

farmroast
What's nice about this situation is the manufacture has been willing to make changes on the roaster for Dustin. I've known Dustin since he came online and finally got to have a long talk with him at SCAA Boston. He puts a lot of time into testing many coffee/roasting concepts. I can only wish I still had that amount of energy.
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

Jump to Forum: