Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/05/2021 3:10 AM
Welcome, Johny Morrisson !

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 28

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,370
Newest Member: Johny Morrisson

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Building help on a 300 gram Drum roaster
ginny
Hi:

you need to give folks time to get to you. many members are not on all of the time and do not know there is a new post if they do not watch it via email so hang on and be patient with us.

many others have no interest in building and only watch roast posts...

ginny

beach

Dan
What about a little shaded pole motor with 3-4" blade like this?

img0038.popscreencdn.com/146720079_shaded-pole-motor-oven-fanexternal-rotor-motormicro-.jpg
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

Coffeeluke
Sorry about that ginny!

Dan; What would be the purpose of the blades on that motor?

Dan
LOL! You said you wanted a cooling fan!? I've seen larger fans on the same size and type of motor. Some are metal and as large as 5" in diameter.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

Erichimedes
I found a motor exactly like the one Dan posted, with a larger fan on it, in the bottom of an old food dehydrator. Not sure if you're into thrift store scrounging at all, but it might be a start.

I also saw someone mount a little 4" squirrel cage on one of those motors in a different post. I liked that idea.

SmokNmirz
Is keeping chaff out of the motor bearings an issue?
L-1p, HG-1-motorized, Monolith Flat, (ordered) mini500Plus.

If whatever you do does not put a smile on your face then rethink what you are doing.

Erichimedes
You know, I just realized that the motor you're asking about would be to turn the drum, not as a fan. Sorry, I misunderstood that. I would think you'd want a slower turning motor with more torque then. I'm not sure why I involved myself with this thread, I don't know drum roasters at all. I'll keep watching though!

Coffeeluke
Thinking of doing Direct drive motor, would this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-New-DC-12V-12-V-60-RPM-High-Torque-Gear-Motor-New-M25-/310650349341

Coffeeluke
I have most of my parts, but as things are shaping up i'm becoming more concerned with the heating elements that I have. I am worried that I will not be able to run them on a 15 amp breaker. 2k watts is above the limit. I was thinking about something that would quickly switch between the two heating elements so only one is running at the same time. Would this be possible an if so would it affect my ramp time too much? I may have to look in to some different heating elements. Will post picture of parts tomorrow.

Jump to Forum: