Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 16

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 - Safety Issues
Dan
In factories, safety is the watchword for automated equipment. For instance, all equipment must have an emergency stop button. I program many of my PLC-driven machines with all sorts of hi-lo heat, pressure, and position inputs that can stop the machine if something goes awry. But, safety isn't always observed by homeowners for a variety of reasons. Then again, homeroasters don't have to obey OSHA regulations! That's too bad, especially since it is often very easily accomplished. This safety issue came to my mind because of another post here at HRO, and I'm making a new thread to discuss safety in automated roasters like the TC4C.

This isn't just about industrial applications. Most home gas appliances like furnaces and water heaters have a flame-out sensor. They are a rough version of a thermocouple and produce the same microvolts as a real TC. To add one to a TC4C powered roaster, you could use one of the four TC inputs with a thermocouple and some fail-safe code.

Similarly, one could also had a high-heat limit for gas and electric roasters to shut down a machine that is stuck, or has gone into 3rd crack. Or, activate a Sonalert if the temps get too high.

hope this helps, Dan
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.
Jump to Forum: