renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
For Blending, Roast Beans Separately?
MassWineGuy
If I want to have a blend of two or more coffeess from different regions, is it best to roast each of them on their own and then combine the beans after they're roasted? Or is it ok just to mix them all together and roast them at the same time?

Dan
MWG, I think most people roast blends at the same time, but that's often just for convenience. It can get a little tricky since they roast at different rates, but then that's part of the challenge. All of Sweet Maria's blends are mixed as greens.

hope this helps, Dan
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

MassWineGuy
Thanks, Dan. Maybe I'll try both ways.

boar_d_laze
What Dan said.

If the beans have similar characteristics -- about the same size, same moisture content, grown at the same altitude, you have a higher probability of putting together something which will blend better pre-roast than if there are a lot of differences. Processing style can but doesn't always make a difference.

You can refine that a little if you have good thermometry and can track the times to major the roast milestones of end of drying and 1st Crack. Again, if those things are reasonably close, then pre-roast blending will work for you.

Many Sweet Maria's (pre-roast) espresso bends are put together with beans from a variety of origins. You might want to buy a few pounds of something -- I recommend Monkey Blend and New Classic -- to get a feel for what roasting pre blended beans is like.

BDL
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

coffeeforblood
My "house coffee" is a blend of four beans and I roast them individually and then combine them after roasting. I will have to try roasting the green blend and see if it makes a big difference.

Jump to Forum: