Total Members: 7,626
Newest Member: RoyB

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Need Suggestion on My Old Primitive Roaster
gobenzo
Hello guys,
I've been roasting for some times using few type of pan, and finally building my 1st drum roaster.

I am using perforated stainless steel drum. 1mm thickness, portable gas stove and manual hand crank.

Its quiet fun using it, and I have no trouble in the result. The main problem is when unloading the bean after the roast finished. I have to open the screw which is extremely hot, and it took some time also.

Batch: 300gr
1st crack 10.40
roast stop at 12.10

I need some suggestion from you guys about this roaster.
Specially about drum thickness and heating process. Should I add more cover to block the fire from touching the drum?

I attached some pictures of my roaster.

Thank you very much

Ben
gobenzo attached the following images:
loading-unloading-bay.jpg roaster-1_1.jpg

Preanger coffee lover, using drip, syphon and best of all: tubruk greenman

Dan
Ben, That's a great example of a bare bones roaster. I think your drum is perfect as it is.

Your 12 minute roast tells me you have good heat control. Don't add a heat diffuser between burner and drum unless: 1. you are getting scorched beans, 2. your burner is turned as low as it will go, or 3. you want to increase the roast time.

Try using a shaft collar to secure the drum lid. It will also be hot, but you can remove it faster. Replace the set screw with a thumb screw.

hope this helps, Dan

www.robotmesh.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1280x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/s/h/shaft_collar.jpg

www.traderscity.com/board/userpix21/20361-thumb-screw-1.jpg
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

butch burton
IMHO 12 minutes is too fast- i get good results and my roasts are around 17 1/2 minutes and that is about 2/3 the way between 1st and second crack. I made my drum out of 14 gauge cold rolled sheet steel and a local firm with a pinch roller formed it into a drum shape. Be aware these people had every kind of metal and metal working equipment you can imagine. Their primary business was to construct cabs for huge draglines that have to be shipped in pieces because they are so big. Business was slow then - at the bottom of the business cycle.

I used 5/8" shaft I got from local Menards and used a pulley on one end for the closed end. I used the shaft collar on both ends. Fashioned a door out of the sheet steel. Did not use stainless steel - way too hard to drill and way too light but many use a waste can from bed, bath and beyond and get good results.

Drill some holes into the drum, use a gear motor to turn it - 30 rpm works well and when you get into first crack, turn off the motor and you can hear rice crispies. You do not want to touch second crack so use a bean thief - I use a 1/2" aluminum rod and that really tells you where the beans are. If you see oil after a couple of days on the beans and small divots blown out of the beans - way too much roast and too hot.

Do not worry about flames on your drum - mine has maybe 1/2" clearance above 3 bbq burners which have a total of 50K BTU.

Use a box fan to make a bean cooler - construct the top part out of 2x4's using chicken wire and aluminum or copper screen wire. Plastic screen wire will melt in seconds. Also beware when beans get to a certain point an exothermic reaction starts and your beans will really burn. One guy had a bean fire and poured the burning beans on his asphalt driveway and promptly burned a hole in it.

Glad to see someone is taking the really simple approach to roasting. I see all these really sophisticated tools people are using and am reminded of a big competition in NYC to design a new library. The biggest architectural firm used a computer generated design which was rendered in 3d in plastic. The winner designed the entry without a computer and built a model out of form board.

The lesson is when you get so complex in the process, the process controls what you are doing.

Good luck

allenb

gobenzo wrote:

I am using perforated stainless steel drum. 1mm thickness, portable gas stove and manual hand crank.

The main problem is when unloading the bean after the roast finished. I have to open the screw which is extremely hot, and it took some time also.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I agree with Dan that if it's working, even if flames are kissing the drum it's probably fine and no need to alter it. How's the coffee tasting?

Now I think these poor guys had a harder time dumping than what you're going through Roflmao
allenb attached the following image:
carter_pullout.jpg

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

rustic_roaster
Ben,

Did your drum start off as a pasta skimmer? I think I built a close cousin to your roaster. I used a funnel instead of bowl to create a sample style roaster, so I did not have to mess around with removing a hot cover.

Maybe you could attach your cover to the drum with springs then use some thing to pull the two pieces apart to empty it out.

The stainer/drum I used had a bottom/back that was stiff enough it did not need to be supported from both ends. If yours is too you could try using an open end approach.

Stan

allenb

gobenzo wrote:

The main problem is when unloading the bean after the roast finished. I have to open the screw which is extremely hot, and it took some time also.

Ben

Hi Ben and sorry for my poor taste in humor with your difficulty in dumping the beans. thumbdown

While Dan and Stan have pitched in with some possible improvements it might help us further if you could provide some closer up photos of your drum lid setup so we can get a better view of the clamping/screw down arrangement. You might get a few more folks lending their input with a better view.
Keep the posts coming!

Cheers,

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

gobenzo
Thank you guys for the repplies, it realy nice to have people to share and discuss about roasting woohoo . My situation here in Indonesia is difficult to find people who do home roasting, there are only expert-untouchable roaster or others are commercial coffee drinker, sigh..

@Dan Thank you Dan, I think the thumb screw will easier to find in my local hardware store, but I don't know with a shaft collar. Maybe i have to find it in a special tools store.

@rustic_roaster A.K.A Stan: I made it over a deep fryer pan from the kitchenware store, and sadly the bottom end was too thin so I had to put additional steel to support the axle. Funnel shape is good idea, but the frame I think is hard to modify. I agree with the spring idea, and I will try it, hope I can find a fit spring from some parts in my garage. Also Maybe you can help me by posting the picture of the "cousin" Stan?

@allenb : Thanks Dan, its not abad joke anyway..I think the pic fun and had historical content also. And it really makes me grateful for my roaster Grin
For the coffee taste, since I am not too good in expressing the characteristic, I can not tell you more detail but the word "it was pretty good taste". Acidity still there, also with a little nutty taste, generally I can say its better than commercial coffee on the department store, I also invite few friends to taste and they quiet impressive about the taste and the aroma. (Since most of them are drinking robusta everyday)

@butch burton ..thanks a lot for the detailed information. Yes you are right, I find some of my batches are getting oily in the day 3rd or 4th but not all.
For the cooling tray, I have tried some materials including aluminum colander, but I find that a bamboo tray cools a little bit faster than other metal stuff. I built my fan working from top to bottom, and it was a mess when the chaff flying around the house. I'll try to extend my roast time, and see for the result. anyway any idea where I can find geared motor without unscrew it from my son's mini car? Grin

*I also attached a batch that I think a quiet successful one, how do you think?
gobenzo attached the following image:
the-result.jpg

Dan
Ben, A well-stocked hardware store will have shaft collars. The smallest you'll probably find is 1/2", but it will still work as a clamp.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

rustic_roaster
This is the cousin, the top is a wide mouth canning funnel that I slit so it would fit inside the drum. The vanes extend to the edge and hold funnel to the drum.
rustic_roaster attached the following image:
img_6102.jpg

butch burton
Ben:
Check out Ed Needham's home roaster site - a box fan cooler is way better than what you are doing and it is cheap also. If beans stay hot too long - baked beans have very little interesting flavors.

Place the roaster outside so the chaff does not fill your house. I roast outside till the snow and wind hit and then to my garage.

Not quite cold enough to roast up here yet. Have some Yemeni Mokha Ismahli that I am anxious to roast and some Mexican mule decafinated coffee which will go to a friend who is preggers and does not want to cause problems for her unborn child. Not as bad as smoking but some research indicates the blood supply to the unborn is affected by caffeine.

gobenzo

rustic_roaster wrote:

This is the cousin, the top is a wide mouth canning funnel that I slit so it would fit inside the drum. The vanes extend to the edge and hold funnel to the drum.

a neat cousin there.. :)

gobenzo

butch burton wrote:

Ben:
Check out Ed Needham's home roaster site - a box fan cooler is way better than what you are doing and it is cheap also. If beans stay hot too long - baked beans have very little interesting flavors.

Place the roaster outside so the chaff does not fill your house. I roast outside till the snow and wind hit and then to my garage.

Not quite cold enough to roast up here yet. Have some Yemeni Mokha Ismahli that I am anxious to roast and some Mexican mule decafinated coffee which will go to a friend who is preggers and does not want to cause problems for her unborn child. Not as bad as smoking but some research indicates the blood supply to the unborn is affected by caffeine.

Yupp, I am working on it right now..still busy making videos and other design stuff, hope to have more time soon. Thanks BB ThumbsUp

Jump to Forum: