Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 open source status
rustic_roaster
Seen a discussion in the shout box side bar regarding TC4 and a statement about V4.00 being the latest open source version. I see all of the TC4 documents including the V5.30 are marked CC BY.

Does anyone understand how the Creative Common license things work, does the CC BY on the V5.30 make it open source too?

When I looked at the CC website it looks like the BY marking means people can freely use the documents for personal or commercial purposes and all that is require of the users is to identify the original creator. Is that the correct interpretation?

tamarian

rustic_roaster wrote:
When I looked at the CC website it looks like the BY marking means people can freely use the documents for personal or commercial purposes and all that is require of the users is to identify the original creator. Is that the correct interpretation?

Yes.

With the preface that I am not a lawyer, the TC4 project page states the code license is New BSD License. If this implies a distinction that the source code is under BSD license, and the documents you listed are Creative Commons then it's probably just due to BSD being software only, while CC applies to "work". But they both share the same "spirit", to use, modify, distribute and profit, as long as the work is attributed. Attribution for software is to include the original copyright notice in source files and documentation. Attribution for CC/works is defined as "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work)."
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

JackH
JimG posted the full TC4 V4.0 eagle files for people to be able to build one if they wanted. I think Jim should be contacted as a courtesy if the intent were to mass produce.

If you left all the headers with the CC rights notices on the board and software, I would think that would be OK but I am not a lawyer. Jim did do the same with the Arduino Uno embedded into the TC4C (displaying Arduino design credit on the board). I am not sure if there is more to it than just showing who's design it is.

I did find this link that might help (in human readable form!)
http://creativeco...sa/3.0/us/

Jack
Edited by JackH on 09/16/2013 8:13 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Vigor
Yes, I was in that discussion :) TC4 beyond 4.00 and TC4C design files was not made public according to ebay seller. He provided a list of differences from 4.00 to 5.30 and the changes were not very necessary:

1. One-piece green terminal block for thermocouple connections for greater strength
2. Pads for optional resistors to help deal with ground loop problems
3. Power for OT1 and OT2 is now provided by the Arduino's 5V PSU (no longer selectable)
4. Board and solder mask are now blue to match the Arduino boards
5. All electronic components are now surface mount. Through-hole soldering is now required only for headers, switch, and terminals.
6. Power for OT1 and OT2 is now jumper-selectable, 5V or VIN (5V is now default)
7. An 0805 LED power indicator has been added (green). Indicators (red 0805 LED's) have been added for OT1 and OT2
8. I/O2 port has been added (for zero-cross detection and phase angle control)
9. The 8-pin header for parallel LCD interface has been removed (use I2C instead)
10. Boards ordered pre-populated with SMD's are tested and initialized

I think most added was not functional but convinience for mass production (conversion to SMD) but would serve no useful purpose for people who are building their roaster and not afraid to get there hands dirty :)

Although CC allows re-use, the design files are not in the google code site so it cant be reused without help from JimG

bvwelch

Vigor wrote:

Although CC allows re-use, the design files are not in the google code site so it cant be reused without help from JimG

Not quite true -- Actually, the TC4 is a shield, and everything you need to build boards and use the software is online and available to anyone.

The TC4C is a nice standalone board designed and built by JimG.

Two very similar projects, but different licenses and availability.

JackH
It is the TC4 shield and not the TC4C we are trying to make as a DIY project.

There is no way to produce the TC4C because there are no eagle files available to make PC boards. As Bill says, there are eagle files for the TC4 shield V4.00 which Jim left on the google TC4 site for people to build.

This can be a very easy thing to do and the result would be an original TC4 shield.

Jack
Edited by JackH on 09/19/2013 5:06 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ginny
my mistake sorry...

I will dump the post

Jump to Forum: