Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
sanakashyap220, welcome

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 25

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,368
Newest Member: sanakashyap220

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello from Colorado
Airhan
Hello fellow home roasters, I am 20 and have been roasting for about 3 months.

I started with a Poppery II and just got a Poppery I which I plan on modding to add fan and heat control (thanks to Mike and his post about modding).

I caught the coffee bug about a year ago when I started working a little coffee shop next to the community college I go to, I can't say when i though that roasting my own coffee was a good idea, but it sure is.

I look forward to learning a lot form the great community here =D
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

ginny
welcme and thanks for joining us...

you will find lots of help around here, please do not be afraid to post questions in the forums.

ginny

rockon

JETROASTER
Welcome aboard Airhan! -Scott

Erichimedes
Welcome! This is a fantastic community. In my short time here, I've been amazed at what is available.

I'm in Durango. You're not on the Western slope are you?

Airhan
I'm sorta far from Durango, I live in Westminster (about 20min north of Denver)
Aaron

Erichimedes
Ah yes. We don't have a lot of people down here so I guess it was a long shot.

Not sure if you're interested, but I wish I knew about this:
http://www.auberi...cts_id=332
When I modded my popper. Nice cheap reliable looking voltage regulator.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

Airhan
Wow Erichimedes, that ssvr is amazing, I was going to use a router speed controller for the heat side, but the ssvr is about the same price so I might go that route.

Thanks for the link!

One question though, is their wiring diagram accurate? The potentiometer doesn't need external power? it is only connected to the ssvr?
Aaron

Airhan
I found these and couldn't say no... so here it goes! (these are much cheaper on amazon, plus free shipping Grin)

http://www.amazon...AZDOWP300U
Edited by JackH on 10/01/2013 5:16 AM
Aaron

allenb
Howdy Aaron!,

Good to have a nearby fellow roaster on board. I'm a Westminsterite in the Cotton Creek area (between 107th and 112th and Sheridan. If you'd like, let's get together in the near future and talk beans. I'll shoot you a PM soon.

BBQ grill

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Erichimedes

Airhan wrote:

I found these and couldn't say no... so here it goes! (these are much cheaper on amazon, plus free shipping :D)

Wow! Those look awesome. I like that it comes with a heat sink. I think I'll bookmark those. Yeah, I don't fully understand the wiring diagram either. I don't understand exactly what it means by grounding that one pin. Maybe the SSVR comes with more detailed instructions.

Maybe start a thread for your popper mod! We all like pictures :D

Airhan
Allenb, it is nice to know I'm not alone out here, and I plan on starting a new thread for my mod once all the pieces start showing up
Aaron

allenb
I look forward to the build thread! This is one of the many perks of belonging to HRO, seeing a new build or mod go from a pile of parts on a bench to an upgraded, hot rodded popper or from the ground-up new build.

Make sure to take many photos and post often!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Airhan
To continue my introduction here is a picture from my first roast with my poppery I.
farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/10078902245_8441a16818.jpg
I tilted the poppery back (its amazing how much that got to beans to move, I was skeptical), the yellow plastic is the lid from my pooper II which has a digital oven thermometer installed (I do not recommend that btw it doesn't sample fast enough). I also have my phone for a timer and pictures.

farm8.staticflickr.com/7370/10078932386_6b24bf8d41.jpg
Here is what I use to cool the beans, a steel multi-grill pan from world market, it is good for shaking the beans around and pouring them back and forth.farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/10078930816_96bff82c42.jpg

There you are: 75g of Burundi Kirmiro Teka farm3.staticflickr.com/2824/10078906485_4bd8a2e7fe.jpg

I can't wait until tomorrow morning when I get to put these to use:farm4.staticflickr.com/3811/10078928056_9ea153a5b8.jpg

Finally some notes about this roast (well two roasts back to back). The Poppery I can handle a lot more green coffee than the II, and the bakelite housing doesn't get as warm ( I didn't need my oven mits!). My roasts also took about 7 min to reach city+ which could be a function of the 60F ambient temp.

In the future I am planning to add fan speed control, heat control, a thermocouple for more accurate temperature reading, as well as a real chimney. All of the mods will naturally go in a new thread once the parts show up.
Edited by Airhan on 10/03/2013 10:44 PM
Aaron

Erichimedes
Good looking beans! I look forward to the build thread :D

Airhan
I was surprised how consistent the beans looked actually, the movement from tilting the popper makes a big difference (I'm assuming that's responsible for the consistency, I could try tilting my poppery II and verify that... )
Aaron

Jump to Forum: