Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Tear filled eyes...
ciel-007
I'm back! My wife and I have been out of the country for more than a month - celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. Travelling to strange new places can be lots of fun; unfortunately, it is not always easy to find a good cup of coffee.

Out of desperation, I did wind up at Starbucks a few times during my travels. Typically, that meant getting in line, and patiently waiting to be served. Alas, the long waits were seldom rewarded in the end - those bitter espressos had been un-lovingly pulled from beans that had been unkindly over-roasted. On a couple of occasions, when I was handed the cup, I would ask the server: "Where's the crema?" In return, I might get a blank stare, and a typical reply such as: "Crema! What's that?" I found all of this pretty sad... but not enough for tear filled eyes. However, those experiences left me wondering what might conceivably explain Starbucks' popularity, and what that implies about those who gladly line up for their daily caffeine fix.

Upon my return home, the first thing I did was to fire up the Brewtus, and to grind some old beans that had been sitting in a corner for six weeks. The espresso that those tired beans yielded was awful in comparison to my fresh roasts in their prime. However, that awful result was still better than what I had been served at Starbucks. I now had no choice - it was time to fire up the Hottop and roast 300 grams of my favorite blend. Oh... how wonderful the sweet smell (and the crackling voices) of toasting beans can be! As the BMT approached 422F, I began the usual series of partial dumps required for an exquisite Melange Roast. I then hastily carried the fruit of my labor to the Mazzer-Mini for the ideal grind - I was now merely seconds away form that perfect cup. The magical moment was finally here - my wife and I raised our cups brimming with golden crema. As the elixir touched our lips, our eyes filled with tears... tears of JOY. It had been far too long since we had experienced a touch of heaven in a cup.

As you can see, I'm very happy to be home. I'm enjoying catching up on the stimulating posts from all of you - my coffee-loving colleagues. HRO, I missed you!
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
tamarian
Happy 40th anniversary!

When I travel, even for a day, I take my beans with me, along with a MyPressi Twist, and Hario Skerton (Clever dripper and Lido for my wife).
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F
Ringo
I went to Costa Rica a year ago expecting great coffee and every cup sucked. I went to Montana last week expecting every cup to suck and the coffee was excellent. They have these little coffee stands everywhere and for $1 you can get a double thats good. Every cup of drip I had I enjoyed. Montana loves coffee.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
ginny
ciel:

Happy 40th anniversary to both of you...

so glad to have you back...

ginny

rockon
snwcmpr
Glad you are back, and happy anniversary.
It is difficult, but not impossible, to find a good cup a joe. But, I also bring mine with me. I have a box that 4 gallons of milk, or water, fit into that I get from the grocery store. It has holes for handles.
I can put an MSR Reactor stove, a GSI Java Drip, a Zassenhaus grinder, several home bagged bags of coffee, a mason jar, a portable vacuum sealer with mason jar adapter for the opened bags, a jug of well water from home, a lighter, mugs, etc. In 10 minutes I can have a really good cup for the 2 of us.
One time when I was traveling, I stopped at Starbucks and got an espresso, and it was cold, well warm, and awful. I complained, I got another the same way. I gave up.
I think most people have milk, sugar, flavoring, whipped cream, etc put on their espresso, so they don't care. My job is to spoil as many people as I can with good coffee.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
Ringo
I tell my wife when we travel we readjust our expectation. A little bit of Starbucks or McDonalds and you know how good home roast is. You have to have a little bad to know how good good is.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
ciel-007

ginny wrote:

Happy 40th anniversary to both of you... so glad to have you back.

Thanks Ginny, it's great to be back, Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
ciel-007
Ken and Tamarian - Thanks

My wife and I have long since learned that the best way to travel the planet is with carry-on luggage. However, I can think of at least one significant downside... carry-on luggage doesn't leave much room for beans and coffee gear.
ciel-007

Ringo wrote:

I went to Costa Rica a year ago expecting great coffee and every cup sucked...

Ringo, I've experienced the very same disappointments in Latin American, Africa, Asia, and Europe. The one notable exception to date has been Spain (especially Madrid and Barcelona), where I found the " caf con leche" to be superb.
snwcmpr
Ciel, I do think my 'traveling coffee kit' is limited to driving vacations.
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
smico
Nice to see you back Ciel.
Last summer I went back to Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro. Specialty coffee movement is slowly trickling in. I found two new places in Belgrade.
And I rediscovered how nice Turkish coffee can be when prepared well.
Hottop B2 + HTC, Cremina 83, OE Pharos, Brewtus IIIR, Baratza Vario
ciel-007

smico wrote:

Last summer I went back to Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro. Specialty coffee movement is slowly trickling in. I found two new places in Belgrade. And I rediscovered how nice Turkish coffee can be when prepared well.

Miroslav, thanks for sharing. I'll be on the lookout for such gems on my eventual trek into S-E Europe. Ciel
Erst Kaffee
Ooh, thank you for sharing that lovely experience. I haven't been to that part of Europe (Croatia), but I have been to Germany and France and I miss the coffee I had in Europe. It was wonderful indeed.

I've always been intrigued by Turkish coffee. Getting a truly fine espresso is not easy out here, and I think I would have a harder time finding a great Turkish coffee out here.

I bet Turkish coffee is as wonderful as I think it is when it is done right.
Bialetti Moka Pot, Aeropress, Gene Cafe Roaster, Hario Skerton Grinder as it came, and Kyocera CM-50 with Orphan Espresso bearing upgrade for medium and coarse grind, Orphan Espresso Pharos
Koffee Kosmo

Erst Kaffee wrote:

Ooh, thank you for sharing that lovely experience. I haven't been to that part of Europe (Croatia), but I have been to Germany and France and I miss the coffee I had in Europe. It was wonderful indeed.

I've always been intrigued by Turkish coffee. Getting a truly fine espresso is not easy out here, and I think I would have a harder time finding a great Turkish coffee out here.

I bet Turkish coffee is as wonderful as I think it is when it is done right.

A 40 + years drinker of Greek / Turkish coffee here
I have written and posted the easiest how to make method in a thread
http://forum.home...post_17725

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
Jump to Forum: