Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
05/23/2022 10:46 AM
abiy welcome cup

renatoa
05/18/2022 6:13 AM
gnosis coffee roasters and Terry Hauser, welcome !

allenb
05/15/2022 7:00 PM
lsawade welcome Welcome

renatoa
05/15/2022 9:13 AM
Welcome, Pinofly and Alex008

allenb
05/12/2022 7:47 PM
CafficitoeTim and pmf2000 Welcome! Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,580
Newest Member: abiy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Recycle but not recirculate?
Lawnmowerman
Ladies and gentlemen! May i present to you what i have christened the DUMB OKIE FLUUDBED. Total expenditure so far:abour thirty bucks.Roflmao
Lawnmowerman attached the following image:
cam00504-1.jpg

Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Airhan
Looks complicated haha ThumbsUp How well does it roast?
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

Lawnmowerman
Yeah its been pretty complicated. I had to put together3 subassemlies which all had to mesh together simitaneously. I roasted 340 g two nights ago. Ended roast a little early, but the coffee was not nearly as bad as i had expected. A little grassy. The bettet question might be how do i roast? Im learning. This is phase one:enshouding the tube. Other additions can follow in a more straightforward manner now that the structiure has actually taken a sound form. Its a very solid assembly... no twisting or flexing. I will try to get pics posted soon. I am also going to attempt video.

Lawnmowerman
Im much more pleased with the way i roasted the second time.340g png. Im sticking to that, or 3/4 pound whichever you want . I used centigrade this time and it has helped me. And all the chaff collects where i was hoping it would:ThumbsUp: l hopefully I will know how to roast with this thing when ive brought it to phase 2: which is the heat exchanger/dumb okie loading and ejection system. I got a couple videos of the roaster in action which i will try to post in the next couple days.:oor... i will just have my 12 year old daughter upload it for me if i cant do it.
cam00510-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
Here is a close up. Looking forward to tasting it. These beans have expanded much more than in my breadmaker.
cam00511-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
This coffee is pretty good after waiting overnight. Maybe soon ill do 2 roasts in both roasters and compare. I think theres a thread i started for that. So far i have not noticed it to be brighter than b m coffee. It has a lot of body. And thats just fine.

Lawnmowerman
Second pot: I wont be doing any comparison roasts with the bread maker roaster. I love this roaster! Im getting a really thick, syrupy mouthfeel that is a very pleasant surprise. Tempted to make another pot before work. But im late im late for a very important date. And this is sipping coffee. Did I meantion that I really love this roaster? I guess im stuck down the rabbit hole and ive lost my head.BBQ grill

Airhan

Lawnmowerman wrote:

Second pot: I wont be doing any comparison roasts with the bread maker roaster. I love this roaster! Im getting a really thick, syrupy mouthfeel that is a very pleasant surprise. Tempted to make another pot before work. But im late im late for a very important date. And this is sipping coffee. Did I meantion that I really love this roaster? I guess im stuck down the rabbit hole and ive lost my head.BBQ grill

You just summed up the reasons for roasting your own coffee, and sounded like a exuberant child while doing it! Rather than being "stuck" in the rabbit hole, I think you are just climbing furthur in, and running instead of walking Grin

edit to fix ginny's mistake
Edited by zombie girl on 03/15/2014 6:45 PM
Aaron

Lawnmowerman
This evening i roasted the 175 grams sumatra that is left in one bag, just to see how well this roaster does popper sized loads. I used one heating element until i thought i heard 1st crack at 10 min. I know that seems a little long but this is pretty much the norm for me and my beans arent baked. Oops sidetracked. Didnt hear 1st crack plugged in 2nd heating element rate of rise shoots up and im in second. Ended roast 12:42 brewed immediately. WOW! Totally different bean. Same syrupy mouthfeel. Im wonderinging is this a quality that is normally associated with fluidbed? Or not? Can anybody tell me? Just wondering.

JETROASTER
That is a marvelous red-neck creation! The photo next to the pickup really sets the tone. You're not lost in a rabbit hole.... you've simply discovered another creative arena.
I might call it the "Post-Modern Red-Neck"
The bean swell indicates high energy transfer while moisture still present.(early in the roast). Since there is no wrinkling, it would seem that the heat delivery was steady....at least until your beans were dry. That is certainly something fluid beds are good at.
It has always seemed to me that big swollen roasts;
1. Rest quickly
2. Stale quickly
3. Brew huge.
Congratulations! -Scott

Lawnmowerman
Thanks Scott. There was a lot of info you alluded to that i dont understand at all. I didnt think it was appropriate for me to start a whole no thread and add more clutter but somehow this build thread has been moved to roasting profiles. I still have much more to build. And ... dont have a forum for roasting profiles/fluidbed/ using reclaimed air. (I didnt think that we needed one). As for the construction technique, i believe you could say its an adaptation ofsalad bowl tech. Much more to build in this build thread. Thanks again!

Lawnmowerman
These are the subassemblies:pirex tube is held by two funnels made by splitting a stainless coffee mug into inner and outer. The gap is taken up with spark plug wire. The funnelsfit against some perimeter tabs top and bottom and are riveted in three places. The bottom funnel fits into the next assembly, a side vent popper chamber screwed onto a flour sifter. Parts fromtwo separate poppers are used. I had planned a mini vac motor to shoehorn into the flour sifter, but the canister vac came at the right time. I optimized its use as a blower. The cool thing about it is that its a 2speed. It throttles down to nothing so no physical intake choke was needed or bleed ports. It needed a flange to connect it all together so there is a dogbowl attached to it for the all thread to connect to. And to hold it all together is a vacuum cleaner/flour sifter adapter mafe from a vac hose connector and some popper parts . The whole thing mounts on a chaise lounge frame. Also used is a pedestal table leg and various aluminum extrusions
Lawnmowerman attached the following images:
cam00495-1.jpg cam00498-1.jpg cam00471-1.jpg cam00472-1.jpg cam00470-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
There is one video that is posted to u tube.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxqpV-QSrsQ[/video]
Edited by JackH on 03/23/2014 6:59 PM

Airhan
What size batches can you do with this Ben?
Aaron

Lawnmowerman
Jack. Thanks for fixing this video link. It is my 1st and im taking baby steps. It is the correct video. Aaron: ive done eight successfulroasts varying in size from 175 grams to 382 grams. Im confident that it could probably do a pound, but at this point with the extension cord i have, line voltage is at 105 volts. If i had abetter cord I could hopefully regain a good part of 600 watts lost to this voltage drop. I will be doing two 400g batches png tomorrow, my first a/b comparison with this roaster. Should be inteteresting. I will start a different thread for that.
Ben.

Lawnmowerman
I designed this roaster to have an adjustable tilt if it was needed. Which I could use as a dumping mechanism. It will flip to a nearly upside down position. Im planning to attach an inverted jar ring to the top. Invert the roaster, screw on jar of green beans, return roaster to upright position. Now jar is inverted on top of roaster and beans are in roast chamber. Bean eject is opposite. I need to work out some bugs, but i tried holding a jar and flipping, and it worked well. Plus there was no chaff in the beanspouring

Lawnmowerman
An update: I've roasted 57batches with this roaster, all but a couple were drinkable. Build improvements are way slow, but I'm ready to post for the benefit of anyone who may be attempting something similar(yeah, right). First, still no preheated air. I'm drawing in ambient air at whatever temperature that might be. Exhaust is run back around the bake a round by sticking a loaf pan on top. I attempted one roast running the air out the top(the normal way) and I found myself a bit handicapped in comparison. So all roasts since have been using this single stage heat reclaiming scheme. Air just blew out the hole at the bottom,along with much chaff. So...to keep the chaff in the box where I want it, I installed a chaff snorkel. I might be able to avoid building a cyclone if it works.
20140621_101711-1-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
Exit air from the box will be drawn through a two piece vacuum cleaner wand mounted through the bottom vacuum cleaner section. I will have corresponding slots in each telescoping segment so that by sliding it inwards or outwards I will have a valve to recirculate if need be or to draw in ambient air for cooling, either through the top end or lower end. Only a pic of the tube to be used:
20140621_103521-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
Heat exchanger: a switch to all square makes it easier to build, but I'm lagging still. The two channels in the middle will be for air that will hopefully be preheated by the large mass of aluminum fins on the outside absorbing heat from the exhaust air before it exits the chaff snorkel. This air will be drawn through the tube in the last pic. I still have to dream up a transition transition for the heat exchanger output to the vacuum cleaner mixing chamber(that's the lower section of the vacuum cleaner).
20140621_103209-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
What I consider a major accomplishment: I roasted an entire batch using one element for entire roast! 300 grams with the poplite heater. Are there any popper users that are doing this much? I didn't even attempt it seriously until I took a tip from member Airhan's use of a boosting transformer to get an acceptable bean loft. Only I had a bigger transformer on hand,12.5amps, enough to drive only one heater , but at the end of an extension cord, voltage is boosted to about122v. Thanks for to tip, Aaron.
20140621_101229-1-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
Lastly, the bake a round to jar transition for hands free bean processing: I tried to make a piece out of a cocktail shaker that would fit to a jar ring with some kind of flange, however that proved too rough a transition. What I'm using instead , is a one piece stainless cylinder that fits right over the bake a round. It will need some cutting.
20140621_110025-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
I'm planning on surrounding the heater section and running exhaust through that. As it is, it is in ambient air since I removed some inferior insulation. And I'm still working on a centralized control panel. No pics for either.

homeroaster
Awesome concepts.
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homero...
http://www.facebo...EdNeedham1

homeroaster
Maybe consider a small radiator from a motorcycle or some other piece of equipment to use as a heat exchanger so you don't have to build one from scratch?
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homero...
http://www.facebo...EdNeedham1

Jump to Forum: