Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Transforming the Poppery
Airhan
I'm glad I could help! Out of curiosity, how much did that change the maximum amount of beans you can move? I've found that I can do up to 230ish grams, before I was limited to to 150ish IIRC.
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

Titus142
I put in 180g and it was still spinning. Running for the 13v leads I get about 130v at the fan. If I switch over to the 25v leads, which gives me around 140v at the fan it can do a whole lot more. Any idea of the fan will burn up at 140v? I will have to do some experiments with how much I can fit. Would love to be able to do at least a half pound consistently.

I did a couple trial run roasts with 150g and 110g. Plenty of agitation but I still feel there could be more consistency. The heater runs at about 115v with the fan at max, I wonder if it would be worth it to put the transformer on both so there is more headroom or am I asking for trouble on that one...

david7198
Airhan
I am new to coffee roasting (12 roasts). Using the great information on this site I have completed the Poppery 1 mods to separate the fan and heating element and control the heat with a router controller. I am able to roast 3/4 cup of beans to second crack in a total of 13 to 15 min. with the heat set at about 75% as indicated on the router control dial. I would like to increase the fan volume to roast a larger batch. According to my Killawatt device, I have 123.3 volts at the wall outlet. The fan shows 123.3 volts when the heat element is off and 118 when the heat element is on.
I have purchased your recommended 25a transformer from Radio Shack and I am confused about how to wire it correctly.
Do you think the transformer will help me get more fan power?
Can you help me with a wiring diagram?
Will I need a third power cord?
Do I need to monitor the volts to the fan to avoid damage to it?
Thanks

Airhan
Hi David, sorry for the delay in my response, since you've started your own thread I won't address that too much here, but I'll talk about some other questions you raised here.

Do you think the transformer will help me get more fan power? Yes.
Will I need a third power cord? No.
Do I need to monitor the volts to the fan to avoid damage to it? a 10% boost in the fans nominal voltage will be fine, 20% will probably be okay, any higher is risky though.

Closing thoughts: stick a 2" tall piece of wood/metal/plastic/anything under the back of your poppery, this will greatly increase the bean circulation, thus allowing more beans to be roasted at a time.
Aaron

david7198
Airhan:
Thanks for the reply.
HoldTheOnions provided a link to a transformer/duplex receptacle/light dimmer combo that provides variable fan control from 0 to 150 volts. Although I have a question about whether I have wired it correctly, I would like your opinion on how much of the 150 volts equals a 20% boost?

At 135 volts I am able to circulate 7,5 oz. by weight of green beans vs. the 4.5 oz. I was able to do before.

I will also try 2" tip.

Thanks

Airhan
120/10=12, so 12v is 10%, therefore 132v is a 10% increase, (144 would be 20% something in my gut says that is too high) I think you will find that 130v is satisfactory when you also tilt the popper. I have a panel mount voltmeter on my popper and I run the fan at 130V, I feel that while 20% may be permissible the possible gains are very much outweighed by the risk, i.e. you don't want to destroy your motor.

IMHO the popper really cannot handle more than 1/2lb of beans because the roast chamber is to narrow, at some point the "column" of beans is just to deep for them to circulate. I'm convinced that 8oz is the most you can do in this particular roaster.
Aaron

david7198
Good information. Thanks

Jump to Forum: