Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Accidental Melange Roast
CharcoalRoaster
I'd like to think of this batch of Maui as an accidental melange roast instead of what it actually is - an uneven scorching of half my beans in my GeneCafe.
CharcoalRoaster attached the following image:
photo_1_4.jpg

John Despres
Wow... How did you do that?

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

CharcoalRoaster
Your guess is as good as mine. I've never had this bad of a roast in my Gene ever. The only thing I can think of is that since the beans were as massive as most Brazilians I overloaded the drum, hence a super uneven roast.

It was weird as it was roasting too. Typically, I can tell by smoke production when I've left FC and moved into 2nd but this time there was a ton of smoke right around the time FC should have been happening. I couldn't see any burning beans until I dumped.

Oh well, I'm gonna brew a cup with a melitta tomorrow morning. cross fingers

John Despres
Crazy. Yes, perhaps overloading and insufficient agitation could be the reason. Don't forget to share your tasting results.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

CharcoalRoaster
After brewing a cup this morning I find it super interesting when a varietal is a fruit bomb aromatically but lacks a lot of pronounced fruit flavor. Anyway, I think some of the FC+/Vienna beans overpowered the more subtle flavors. Not a bad bean or roast, but probably lacking in a lot of complexity.

Can't beat free even if its not the most complex bean on the planet. (my parents bought a bunch of random greens at a coffee farm in Maui - these came in an unmarked gallon size plastic bag)

ciel-007

CharcoalRoaster wrote:

... an uneven scorching of half my beans in my GeneCafe...

I once experienced a similar result when I tried to roast more than 300 grams of greens in my GC. ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Jump to Forum: