renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 1
renatoa

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rolling 1st Crack
ginny
Do all beans reach a true rolling first crack?

thanks,

ginny

B)Grin

EddieDove
Excellent question! I have been pondering this lately whilst I have been experimenting with profiles for the Gene Cafe. I have found that beans I have roasted in the past, that offered no real evidence of a first crack, entered into a loud, time-compressed rolling 1st crack with a certain profile.

Perhaps not a direct answer, but information to consider. B)
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

ginny
I will start to take some notes while roasting. I never have. I heat z machine and toss in the beans...

Some beans I have roasted have never reached that rolling 1st crack, they kina poop along with a few fast cracks, none for a few seconds them a few more fast cracks...

I can see the beans in the glass of the Hot Top, I can smell the aroma of ready beans so I dump them.

Once in a while I get an under roasted batch because I misread the color.

continued thought, hmmm

g

s:8s:8GrinGrinB)

Jeffo
Some definitely do and some don't. Harar Yeman and Sulawesi don't for me. It's hard to tell when first crack ends. Others like Mexican have a whole lot of first crack sounds and it's easy to tell when it's done.

ginny
Jeffo:

Thanks for taking time to post. I find exactly the same thing you do, the end 1st crack is very difficult to determine.

That's when I start to play with the plus button and add time and keep a watchful eye on the beans and by attention to the aroma.

I use mainly my Hot Top, it is a first generation model I bought from Tom late 2003 or early 2004. I use it several times during any given week and it has never failed.

ginny B)B)Grin

EddieDove
I'm going to have to find a bargain on a Hottop so that I can compare it to the Gene Cafe ... I really like the Gene Cafe, but I have an insatiable curiosity about the Hottop. I wonder if the different roast methods have an effect on the 1st crack?
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

RayO
I got a bargain on a roaster and a mondo bean cooler a while ago. The roaster is the HG/DB configuration, for which a Bread maker could easily replace the DB and at minimal cost with great variety through a thrift store. Two or three Bread makers would simultuously let you roast coffee and make fabulous pizza dough, bagels and bread loaves.

My DB is a Kitchen Aid deep mixer bowl. While it's not a true parabolic shape, it's close enough and really aims the sounds of the cracks directly up at me.

The heat gun is a Wagner, and you can treat them like blow torches when you're soldering copper fittings. Aim closer for rapid temperature rise, or move it around to modulate the heat.

I hit the jackpot tonight. I've been reading Davids' "Home Coffee Roasting - Romance and Revival," and for once I thought I'd try a closer simulation of the Cupper's Experience.

My beans are "Panama Berlina," about two years old. This was the first time I opened the sealed plastic 5# bag, so the beans think they've been in the jungle all this time, not drying out in a bloody burlap bag.

The Burlap is useful and economical in-country and for shipping to the broker. After that, the Burlap Bag is just a familiar icon for the coffee trade.

As for the cupping simulator- Martin Diedrich had it right when he said fresh coffee comes only from fresh roasted beans. This is the first time I ever ground 9g of coffee at the same time I was committing most of it to a Mason jar.

BUFF grinder set to 65, and the grind smelled stellar as I used the bellows to clear the grinder into the 9oz cup. I should use CO2, but I don't have that set up yet. I just have to put it together.

Even though I boiled the cup before I ground into it, the temperature drops like a rock when you pour boiling (202? F near Denver) water on the grounds.

The bloom was an eruption and the smell was Drop Dead Phenomenal when I disturbed it after about 30seconds. I stirred and covered it before sending it off to the micro for 9sec to recover some brewing temperature.

Another stir and let it sit for a total of 4min covered to finish brewing. Since this cup was for enjoying, not expectorating, I set a nylon mesh filter in another boiled 9oz cup and dumped the brew in.

I've never experienced an aroma like that before, and I gave the second sip to my Celtic Critic wife. It was unbelievable. Panamas are reliably good, but that was tops.

"Advance token to Boardwalk." I own it and Park Place with hotels.
"Pay owner twice the rent..."

Three cheers for LOUD 1st and 2nd cracks.

Cheers -RayO

Got Grinder?

RayO
OK, I did replace the mixer bowl with a B machine. Actually, I started using the Oster we've been using for bread all along. The thrift store had an identical one in Pristine speckless condition, so I got it and a Chefmate from a shelf full of brand new- looking machines.

The two machines cost $7 total, from two different thrift stores. (They're Tag stores to Martha- the new Cell phone Goddess!)

The new Oster is making bread as I type, identical to the Oldie, which is now a ROster! Who'd a thunk it? Wow, the smells they make.

Cheers -RayO

Got Grinder?

Tim
Thanks RayO for the post on cupping. I've been wondering about cupping because I have found it a bit of a mystery. That enlightens me a bit. Is cupping a skill that's worth learning for the average home roaster like me?c:3

Tim
Just for a little information about--your newest member. I've been homeroasting for about a year--with an IRoast 2.
I still have a bit of a stab in the dark sense with each roast and each bean. In other words I try a particular roasting curve without any particular rhyme or reason.
But so far it has all been good. Some roasts are better than others, but the beans are consistently better than I would enjoy otherwise.
I love this new craft, hobby, art thing I've discovered in home roasting.Grin

jonathan

Tim wrote:
Thanks RayO for the post on cupping. I've been wondering about cupping because I have found it a bit of a mystery. That enlightens me a bit. Is cupping a skill that's worth learning for the average home roaster like me?c:3

Tim, if you do it correctly cupping can be pretty intense but it's really just getting the process down that's the hard part, and that doesn't really take long. It really comes down to just being aware of your senses, and practicing enough to help your brain increase its database of different tastes, flavors, senses, etc. It's fun too!

smfnj

Jeffo wrote:
Some definitely do and some don't. Harar Yeman and Sulawesi don't for me. It's hard to tell when first crack ends. Others like Mexican have a whole lot of first crack sounds and it's easy to tell when it's done.

Jeffo,

I know this is an old thread but I'm just getting around to reading some of the posts.

I agree with you, I just finished a batch of Mexican Oaxaca that had a serious rolling 1st crack for about 1min 15 sec; a batch of Yemen Mokha Sana'ani that had maybe 5 or 6 pops over 1 min and a batch of Ethiopian Kochere Yirg that had a slow, quiet but steady 1st crack.

Getting ready to do a batch of Nicaragua Placeras Estate Miel and maybe a batch of Sulawesi Toraja. I guess the Sulawesi will be tough to pick up.

All were 8oz/227gr batches in a Gene. Roasts with my FR8 were pretty much the same. Even though the pops were easier to hear with the FR8 some beans didn't pop like others did.

It would be interesting to get the thoughts of some others on this. Is 1st crack intensity a function of the profile or the bean? Has anybody used different profiles on the same beans, any difference in 1st crack?
I'm only on my 26th roast with the Gene but will try some different profiles in the future.

Steve

Donut Dog
I just roasted a Columbian and it was rocking, rolling and snapping away loud and clear.
Using a Hot Top.

db
c:4

Jump to Forum: