renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Lubricating Drum Roasters
firstcrack
Looking for any advice on how frequent, types of food grade lubricating oil, and where to focus placing the oil.

When I was at Diedrich, using food grade oil was recommended on the drum shaft that sticks out the front of the face plate, every day you roast. And on the chain behind the roaster.

The Ambex has a cover over the front drum shaft so??? And the chain appears to be a non-metal, but like a resin formed chain. Anyone know what i am trying to describe? i tried researching but nada.
Brian King
Roaster / Owner
First Crack Roasters

scareyourpassenger
On the ym-2 there is a zirc fitting on the back for the bearing. It takes regular bearing grease as it will never be near the beans. The front uses the same and it pretty well isolated. Remove the cap and smear some on the bearing face.

As for how frequent, I can't really say but I don't think they will go through the grease quickly.

firstcrack
Thank you
Brian King
Roaster / Owner
First Crack Roasters

Ringo
I use locktight food safe grease every doz or so roast. The grease does come out as it gets hot. I know commercial roasters that use the same grease. I have a cheap gun that has that grease in it only. I should never need to buy a different tube. If my roaster had solid bearings I would grease more often.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

allenb

firstcrack wrote:
When I was at Diedrich, using food grade oil was recommended on the drum shaft that sticks out the front of the face plate, every day you roast. And on the chain behind the roaster.

The Ambex has a cover over the front drum shaft so??? And the chain appears to be a non-metal, but like a resin formed chain. Anyone know what i am trying to describe? i tried researching but nada.

Brian, I'm interested to know what type of bearings you've got on the Ambex. You mention using oil on the drum shaft of Diedrich roasters. Were these oillite bearings? The reason I ask is that I've not seen oiled bronze bearings on anything manufactured after the 1950's and usually have ball bearings which will almost always be grease lubed. If you're lubing ball bearings on your Ambex then you might try a high temp grease to reduce the tendency for the oil to separate and drop out of the grease. If the front bearing has no zirc then it's a sealed bearing and isn't required to be lubbed but would be good to smear some in there every few months if you can remove the shield. There's a tendency for many to over lube bearings in motors and other bearings thinking they will self destruct if not lubbed often but most bearings do not need frequent lubrication unless they are located in harsh environments with extreme temperatures. The temperature within a front drum bearing of a roaster does not reach extreme high temperatures but could reach a high enough temp that could separate the oil from the parafin in low performing grease lubricants. If you can remove the front cap on your Ambex then definitely rub some in there every 6 months or so but I would not bother going more often.

On the resin chain, I would use a very light application of a generic lithium grease and very infrequently.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

firstcrack
Allen,

Thank you for the insight and suggestions. The Ambex has ball bearings, and I would say the Diedrich as well had ball bearings. The reason I believe the suggestion for food grade oil for the Diedrich front bearing was because there is no cap over the rod / its exposed and could drip down into the cooling tray.

Brian
Brian King
Roaster / Owner
First Crack Roasters

scareyourpassenger
The resin chain may just be a belt. Do you have a sprocket or a pulley?

Mine is a belt made up of links.

Jump to Forum: