renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Royal Coffee Maker
snwcmpr
Has anyone else seen this one? ....... http://royalcoffe...w-it-works

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

boar_d_laze
Yes. We have the "Modern Copper." Love it. Cleaning and polishing is a bit complicated, probably too much for every morning use for anyone; and certainly too much for us.

Cleanup makes "another pot" too onerous unless you're really jonesin' and nothing is too much trouble.

We tend to use it a few days in a row once or twice a month, and for after-dinner when entertaining a friend or another couple.

Great to own, beautiful to look at, makes great coffee, but you don't want it as your only or primary brewing method.

BDL
Edited by boar_d_laze on 12/07/2013 5:37 PM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

snwcmpr
Is the 'brew time' 4 minutes, or just 'when empty'?

Thanks,
Ken in NC
(Not in my budget)
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Lawnmowerman
Anybody up for a homespun balance beam project. I think it would be easy enough compared with say, an espresso machine or an over /under syphon or for that matter, an auto drip. Maybe Im just ranting...
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Airhan

Lawnmowerman wrote:

Anybody up for a homespun balance beam project. I think it would be easy enough compared with say, an espresso machine or an over /under syphon or for that matter, an auto drip. Maybe Im just ranting...

That seems like a good project to me, I can already imagine some things to try out actually...
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

boar_d_laze

snwcmpr wrote:Is the 'brew time' 4 minutes, or just 'when empty'?

The device controls the brew time.

The users place the ground coffee in the crystal brewing carafe, the hot water in the metal urn, balance the urn on the lamp's hinged, weighted cap, light the spirit lamp and sit back and marvel as heat generated pressure pushes the water from the urn into the carafe, the coffee begins infusing into the water, the weight change causes the counter-weighted beam to swing the urn up, the lid closes on the spirit lamp, and the negative pressure in the urn generated by cooling draws the coffee back into it through the gold plated filter/siphon.

Infusion time for a full carafe is, in fact, about three minutes. Ish.

The height of late 18thC technology and ingenuity, and fun for young and old. The coffee is typically high-end siphon; good mouth feel, low acid, mellow.

BDL
Edited by boar_d_laze on 12/07/2013 10:26 PM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

Lawnmowerman
BDL:am I understanding correctly that this device has no filter? And...what does the water go through? A metal tube? A hose? Im also interested in how the snuffer functions. Pics on website a litte too lo res for me.

allenb

boar_d_laze wrote:

snwcmpr wrote:Is the 'brew time' 4 minutes, or just 'when empty'?

The device controls the brew time. The users place the coffee is in the brewing carafe, the hot water in the metal urn, balance the urn on the lamp's hinged, weighted cap, light the spirit lamp and sit back and marvel.

BDL

What's the typical steep time from when the grounds are fully whetted till it pulls the brew back to the other chamber?

I had heard reports that steep time was shorter than optimum but did not result in under-extracted brew.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

boar_d_laze
3 minutes. Ish. Ish because it's an impression. Not only have I not run enough timed tests to report a fair average, but I can't recall timing it at all. The joy of a Royal is that watching it is pretty darn entertaining.

Vac siphon isn't quite like pour over. The coffee starts brewing as soon as the water starts to flow from the service vessel into the brewing vessel, and continues until the brewing vessel is completely evacuated.

You can't break things down into bloom and brew; nor can you cut off the brewing period (as you would, for instance, in a pour over by removing the "dripper," on in a press by depressing the filter.

I'm not sure how they do it (whomever "they" are), but the coffee is neither over nor under, but fully developed.

BDL
CookFoodGood

snwcmpr
It is a sight to see.

Lawnmowerman ... This machine should have a filter in the same design as other vac pots. At least I would think so.
Is that tube perforated?

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

boar_d_laze
The siphon tube is gold plated, and:
1. Has a mesh filter at the end which goes into the crystal brewing vessel;
2. The filter is disc sharped. It looks something like a mushroom.
3. The other end of the siphon tube goes all the way down to the bottom of the copper urn and is open;
4. Has a plastic cork around the siphon tube, which hermetically seals the tube inside the urn;
5. There's a pin-hole just siphon tube's after the cork, and placed just inside the urn to facilitate siphonic action once coffee begins to flow back into the urn and covers the end of the tube; and
6. The screw top at the top of the urn seals the urn with a threaded, cork shaped piece of nylon-plastic. It has a very narrow channel inside with a hole at the bottom and another at the side, very close to the top of the cork. When the top is unscrewed a half turn, the channel vents the urn so coffee may be drawn while heat is retained.

BDL
CookFoodGood

allenb
Here's a step by step for using the balance siphon brewer:

http://coffeegeek.../operation

It sounds like when using fairly fresh coffee that either pre-whetting or a stir will be in order to eliminate dry pockets.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

boar_d_laze
We've been using our Royal for three years and haven't found it necessary to pre-wet the grounds or stir them and always had excellent results.

But I'll give stirring a try next time I brew, and pre-wetting a try next time I use very freshly roasted beans. While I'm not expecting much in the way of improvement: A) Who knows? And B) What can it hurt?

Based on personal experience, the best advice I can give for someone starting out with a Royal is to make sure that the siphon "cork" is well seated, and the brewing vessel correctly placed in the balance's hooks before adding hot water or lighting the spirit lamp.

BDL

By the way, "wet" not "whet." To wit, "to whet" is "to sharpen."

BDL
CookFoodGood

allenb
That's good news that no pre-Whhhhetting or stirring is necessary to saturate the whhhhole coffee bed. I'm always having to do this whith my vacuum brewers.

I unfortunately copied a few words out of some knuckleheads post that had the whet instead of wet and thought something looked odd but didn't investigate. My bad for furthering our public schools mission for nation wide illiteracy! Shock

I would love to own a Royal balance brewer some day. Any idea what they go for these days?

Allen

snwcmpr
Allen, the link I posted also has the 'shopping' prices.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Lawnmowerman
I looked last night and some knockoffs were in the150 dollar range but that was about the lowest. Most that I saw had 65 dollar shipping . And yes it would be very nice to own one someday. Oh, I also read that copper is a little more tedious to maintain its finish. Also saw a u-tube of a homemade siphon brewer. No homemade balance brewers, though.

boar_d_laze
The copper version tarnishes and needs polishing as often as any other copper. If you want it to look new and shiny -- that's every three or four uses; or every month or so even if you don't use it.

The gold and palladium versions never need polishing. Neither of us wanted gold, Linda wanted copper and I was leaning towards palladium. We compromised and bought copper after Linda promised to keep it polished.

So much for theory. The reality is that I take care of all the coffee stuff, and she cleans both cat boxes (we have three) -- which works to my benefit considering that neither one of us minds a little tarnish while eau de cat box is another matter.

FWIW, the Royal wets its bed of coffee when steam enters the brewer and condenses -- before the pressure in the urn initiates the transfer of liquid water from urn to brewer.

If you watch the video at the Royal site or on YouTube, you'll see what I mean. By now you've probably visited the site a few times, so no link unless you ask.

BDL
CookFoodGood

Jump to Forum: