renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
SIVETZ roasters and sizes
tamarian
Was interested in searching for Sivetz designs. Thankfully the entire website is still available through Archive.org:

Roaster models: https://web.archi...atalog.htm

Design and drawings: https://web.archi...awings.htm

I noticed the design of Sivetz roasters changes from cone type spouting fluid bed to asymmetrical movement at the 12 lb mark. The next model is the 1/4 bag, 17 kg which is the smallest asymmetrical fluid bed and maintains the same design to the full bag model.

I find the drawings useful for rough idea of dimensions of chambers, ducting, BTU and HP of motors.

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/qtr_bag_w_ab_dwg.gif
tamarian attached the following image:
qtr_bag_w_ab_dwg.gif

Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

oldgearhead
I never did care for the "From the people who invented the fluid-bed roaster", claim. Michael Sivetz in his own "Coffee Processing Technology" (1963) book gave that honor to the 1954 German 'Aerotherm'
:
;(
No oil on my beans...

coffeeroastersclub
Have you ever seen a video of that 38 lb in operation? The following link goes to a youtube video of it (I believe its the 38 lb, I may be wrong). When done you will likely be saying "HOLY CRAP!" to yourself! The burner mechanism is wicked:

woohoo

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

BryanG
Nothing sexy about that machine, expect maybe the results.

tamarian

coffeeroastersclub wrote:
The burner mechanism is wicked

Amen. The drawing calls it "PKG Burner" anyone know what that is? The blower is impressive as well, since it sucks all that heat.

JackH
When she turned on the blower switch, it sounded like the Ghostbusters backpacks turning on.

snwcmpr
Could PKG mean Propane Kerosene Gas?
I mean all the talk of clean says propane, but PKG burner doesn't result anything in my google searches.
It also could be pkg = package as in "Package Burner" meant as an in-house description.

But, that is some torch!!

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

allenb
Ken, you're correct with PKG meaning package burner. It's a term meaning the burner is a "package" containing fuel and air mixing apparatus, burner blower, igniter and safety controls.

The 1 bag Sivetz I used to roast on was all separate components with two very large atmospheric cast iron burners that sounded like the rumble of a diesel train when they ramp up the engines. Wasn't all that loud but powerful sounding. The burners were inside of a dog house like enclosure lined with fire brick. The air flow rate from the roasters main fan was high enough to pull both flames from their vertical rise into the horizontal intake duct.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

tamarian

BryanG wrote:

Nothing sexy about that machine, expect maybe the results.

I like it in this lighting:
tamarian attached the following image:
roaster_2.jpg

tamarian

allenb wrote:
The 1 bag Sivetz I used to roast on was all separate components with two very large atmospheric cast iron burners that sounded like the rumble of a diesel train when they ramp up the engines. Wasn't all that loud but powerful sounding. The burners were inside of a dog house like enclosure lined with fire brick. The air flow rate from the roasters main fan was high enough to pull both flames from their vertical rise into the horizontal intake duct.

Was there any burner adjustment during the roast, or just set and go?

allenb
Yes there was. The owner and founder of the coffee company I worked for had learned early on that taking the coffee through a profile was necessary for proper development and had modified his earlier smaller Sivetz (same model as in the video) to include a motorized gas valve to control environment temperature. He did the same plus additional modifications to the one bag Sivetz.

On a side note since we're on the subject of Sivetz roasters.
In a phone call to Michael Sivetz in 05' while we were trouble shooting an issue with the 1 bag machine Michael asked what the cutoff temperature was and during the back and forth we explained how we were using different profiles for different coffees and he was curious as to why we would bother going through the trouble. He later stated that if we used the machine as he originally designed it (full power to end of roast) and ended the roast at the proper temperature then there was no need for varying the heat to follow a profile. When I stated that being able to follow a profile resulted in a better cup he was amused and didn't buy it.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

tamarian

allenb wrote:He later stated that if we used the machine as he originally designed it (full power to end of roast) and ended the roast at the proper temperature then there was no need for varying the heat to follow a profile. When I stated that being able to follow a profile resulted in a better cup he was amused and didn't buy it.

I once met a Neuhaus Neotec exec at a coffee show in Dubai, and he felt the same. But I took it as a business attitude, bigger, faster is better. More production, more money. He was bragging about a new plant they did in Vietnam that roasts over a ton of coffee in 6 minutes.

snwcmpr
That's the coffee in cans that Allen was referring to when he said our bean swap coffee is better than, even if we fail to meet our own expectations roasting.

I just hate to think they may be roasting some really good beans that way, and no one would ever know.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Viridian

allenb wrote:

On a side note since we're on the subject of Sivetz roasters.
In a phone call to Michael Sivetz in 05' while we were trouble shooting an issue with the 1 bag machine Michael asked what the cutoff temperature was and during the back and forth we explained how we were using different profiles for different coffees and he was curious as to why we would bother going through the trouble. He later stated that if we used the machine as he originally designed it (full power to end of roast) and ended the roast at the proper temperature then there was no need for varying the heat to follow a profile. When I stated that being able to follow a profile resulted in a better cup he was amused and didn't buy it.

Allen

Ha ha. That sounds like Sivetz. He did not build any profile control into his roasters. The 1/4 bag machine is quite loud. John Gant is probably the master of modding that machine. I like the design, personally. There is one in town here that roasts 20,000lbs/month for years and years without needing repair or even maintenance. The beauty of simplicity. The most serious design flaw that I have seen with Sivetz machines is the appallingly slow method of cooling the beans.

Jump to Forum: