Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

02/27/2021 9:50 AM
Questions are best asked in the forum. The posts will last longer, and will be seen the most by members. After a few more posts in the Shoutbox, the post you made will no longer be seen.... maybe you could also introduce yourself and share a little.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

02/17/2021 1:47 AM
OldMan41, depends what is "a pot"... usually is more accurate to specify the brew ratio, instead grams of coffee. The most usual is 1:15, thus 40 grams for 600 ml of water. If the 100 grams are for one liter pot, then we are talking about 1:10 ratio.

Users Online
Guests Online: 15

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,040
Newest Member: Thelsegse
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My first attempt
Suncountry
Finally had time to finish my BM roaster and run a couple of batches.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/suncountry/Coffee/Roasterreadytogo_zpsb9f8e395.jpg

First batch was overdone. I used a cup of Sumatra Mandheling and the profile went something like this.
5.75 min to 300 deg
8.25 min to 375
Stopped at 12 min 432deg second crack going strong.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/suncountry/Coffee/FirstbatchofSumatraoverdone_zps6aec72fc.jpg

Second batch
3.75 min to 300 deg
7 min to 375 deg
stopped at 11.25 min 410 deg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/suncountry/Coffee/2ndbatchofSumatra_zps512dd2bf.jpg

Comments welcome
Suncountry
I forgot to add that FC was about 380 F but was hard to hear because of the noise and on the first batch 2C started at 427 F. I stopped the second batch short of 2C which was 410 F
ginny
you can send me those beans any day suncountry..

nice work on the machine and those bens look wonderful.

congratulations to you and a merry christmas to you and your family.

ginny

cool
DavidG
Way to go!!
Beautiful build and beautiful first roast! You would NOT want to know the temps and cracks on my first BM roast! Ha.

Be sure to taste everything you roast--even if burnt. This way you will always be learning.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
David
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)
Suncountry
I am trying out the first batch right now. It is actually pretty good. When I first cooled it down it didn't have that coffee aroma. More of a burn smell. Well checking it out this morning it smells great. I also can see a little oil on the beans. I am now brewing the second batch I ran. But so far so good.woohoo

Merry Christmas to all!
Suncountry
Well I did my 6th run on Dec 29th of the Sumatra. Here is a picture of it. I don't have the sophisticated taste buds of some of you but these roasts are mighty tasty. This run I tried to slow down the temp increase after FC. Here is how the time/temp works out.

4.5 min to 300 F
at 6 min reach 340 F
at about 8.5 min 380 F FC (still have trouble hearing FC)
at 11 min 400 F
12.5 min 412 F 2C starts
14 min 433 F stop and remove beans

img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/suncountry/Coffee/Sumatrarun6_zpsfda38c39.jpg
jkoll42
Sun - nice build and congrats on drinking some fresh roast!

I've roasted with BM style roasters for a bunch of years now and the best (general) profile I have found is 4/4/4. 4 Minutes to 300, 4 minutes to 400, 4 minutes till end of roast. Also, other than espresso I never go into second crack. Even with espresso I'm maybe 30 seconds into 2C.

I would think about working on your thermocouple location as well - it's reading low. 1C in a BM setup always starts 400-405F if the TC is placed correctly. 2C can vary a little but usually somewhere around 445. Keep in mind you can have some 'early crackers' :) Hollow beans, not perfect beans, beans that got caught in a weird circulation loop can crack early.

Like said above - taste everything even if it makes you spit it out and throw it out!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
Suncountry
Thanks for the feedback. I was guessing I was reading low based on where 2C was happening. The TC is about 1/2" off the bottom and in the corner. I am running 1-1/2 cups of green per load. Maybe the load size has something to do with the reading. I do have a tube inside to bring the heat closer to the bottom. Maybe that is localizing the heat on one side away from the TC. I will raise it up to see what happens. After that I may try a run that stops short of 2C to see what it tasts like. Thanks for the input.
jkoll42
Just experiment with TC placement - a tiny move can make a major difference. I use standard type K wire with a simple twisted end and even an inch from primary location can skew the numbers. Even load size in relation to placement has an effect.

In reality it's not that huge a deal as long as you know what your scale of numbers should be but it makes it easier to talk profiles if you can standardize 1C to about 400F
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
oldgearhead
Nice looking progress! However, for batch #6, I would have pulled it at 12.5 minutes and rested it for 6 days...

Very nice build! I've always found if your BMT is around 400F
at first crack you are in good shape..
No oil on my beans...
Suncountry
I have 1/2 of batch 6 left since I've been using up some of the earlier batches. I'll give it a try in a few days. I made a slight adjustment to my TC and made sure it was not touching the mixing bowl (enlarged the hole). I ran a 2 cup batch which finishes off the Sumatra. I saw no difference in the TC reading for FC and 2C points. I adjust the heat gun dial output to max (I marked 10 points 0 to max so I could calibrate heat output). Temp rise was a little lower than past runs. Got to 300 at 5-3/4 minutes. FC at 9-3/4 minutes and stopped at 12 minutes 407 deg F. If I adjust to what I think true temperature is than it would be about 420. 2C had not got underway. Going forward I think I will keep my loads to 1-1/2 cups of green beans. This will keep me from having to max out my heat gun, thus being able to pick up the pace should I need to. I won't be doing any more runs for the next two weeks. I need spend the time enjoying my creations. Next up will probably be Ethiopia Yirgacheffe. One thing I have noticed is that the beans get a good oily coating at about a week after the roast, but you all probable know that. Thanks for the input.
Suncountry
Well I been drinking this last run where I stopped just short of 2C. I liked it better than the previous runs. Not to say they were bad, this just seemed smoother and less after taste. But that finishes off the 5 lbs of green Sumatra. That leaves a little less than a pound of roasted to drink up. I have given some out to friends. I just ran a batch of Nicaragua Beneficio Santa Lucila Caturra today. With this coffee I can definitely hear FC which started at 9.5 minutes into the roast. I stopped at 13 min with a temp reading of 403 F which if adjust based on other roasts would actually be about 423 F and short of 2C. Color looks great. Here is a picture
img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/suncountry/Coffee/NicaraguaBeneficioSantaLucilaCaturraRoast1_zps129b114f.jpg

And my new cooling method. Water bottle with bottom cut to fit. Shop vac hose fits perfect on the spout.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/suncountry/Coffee/e0269b88-c222-42fb-aedf-fa7df1a828a5_zps696fad7c.jpg
Jump to Forum: