Print Thread
My Soup Can Roaster
TimEggers
Hello friends,

(Man what took me so long to find this place?) Anyways I see a lot of new names here and thought I'd take the opportunity for my first post here to share my soup can sample roaster. I shared it on coffeegeek, but like I say I see a lot of new names here.

It is an open ended drum made from a soup can. I can pull samples anytime during the roast and take direct bean temps with my infrared thermometer.

My battery powered variable speed Craftsman hand drill powers the drum. I stand the drill up on my stove with the drum over the burner. I use another can with the top and bottom removed to channel the heat up at the drum more efficiently.

My first few roasts have turned out beautifully. Please look at the link below for more information and a movie of the roaster in action:

http://www.angelf...e/scr.html

I'd love to hear any feedback! Thank you!

---
Edited by TimEggers on 02/01/2007 11:59 AM

Dan
Excellent! This is a whole, new home roaster concept. :) I've not seen anything like this before. I like the cantilevered design. This is reminiscent of the old, powered wood stove coffee roasters. Of course, they didn't have cordless drills in 1890, but they did have spring wound escapements.

Dan
Excellent! This is a whole, new home roaster concept. :) I've not seen anything like this before. I like the cantilevered design. This is reminiscent of the old, powered wood stove coffee roasters. Of course, they didn't have cordless drills in 1890, but they did have spring wound escapements.

TimEggers
Thank you Dan!

I built this roaster because I wanted some features that are not available on other off-the-shelf home roasters such as being able to monitor bean temps (not air or drum temps) and being able to pull samples. Simply watching the beans through the glass was not satisfactory for me.

The design is really quite simple and I hope others will take the idea and use and improve on it! The construction was very easy using cheap and widely available components.

A very cheap, durable, simple to use roaster and best of all I finally have the features I have always wanted in an easy to use system which affords me great control over the entire roast progression.

Again I thank you Dave for your kind remarks and I look forward to hearing from others here!

---

Jump to Forum: